Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Updating Progress

5 replies [Last post]
Hugo 14344
User offline. Last seen 16 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Please enlighten me with updating progress with our schedule. Our planning engr. (consultant) required as (I am under contractor) to update schedule by incorporating percentages ONLY. Is this correct? We (as contractor)can not adjust remaining durations or links on each activities to adapt actual scenario in the site? Actual Schedule (the one being updated) should be as per site condition and BASELINE SCHEDULE (target schedule) will remain as it was when approved and will only be revised via change order. Please comment on this matter and correct me if I am wrong. Thank you and regards to everybody.

Replies

Hugo 14344
Dear Anees,

I AGREE WITH YOU 100%. Thank you. Regards.

Hugo
Aneesuddin Zubair...
User offline. Last seen 7 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Hugo,

Updating Schedule with remaining duration is more realistic than percentage progress. I find updating construction Projects with percentage progress misleading in most cases.
Regarding the changes to Schedule reflecting the actuals at site on your Updates, no project goes as per the apporved schedule in real world. You need to reflect the reality at site otherwise the schedule becomes irrelevant, if there are major changes on site. The industry practice is you have document the changes in the logic or durations as per the actual and amend the Current Schedule not the Baseline.

Trust this helps your

regards,

Anees
Abu Lana
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Dear HUGO

You should refer always to the contract, before editing "adding, changing links, durations".
Some of the actions may be allowed next to your site rotation (off-sequence progress**) caused by a procurement or engineering delay... or Construction Methods.
Example:
A:Block Work (15d) FS/0d B:Door Frames (10D).
change to
A:Block Work (15D) SS/5D B:Door Frames (10D).
In fact you can start fixing door frames whenever you Poor your Lintels same time finishing your block work.
Always inform the Client or consultant with changes you make on your program to get his approval.
("print screen" on the activity you want to edit, showing Pred- succ and report it)
Hugo 14344
Thank you for your reply Engr. Orbe. At least now I know my procedures are not yet obsolete, although with the explanation thing with our consultant ... would be like swimming in a river full of crocs... Our baseline sched. was formulated based on BOQ alone by another planner. It so happen that the planner did not evaluate the sched. with the Construction Manager or the Project Engineer... thus there are some activities not in practical sequence or logic. Actual Schedule is under the contractor’s responsibility to implement actual scenario. Otherwise, the sched. is JUST ANOTHER report. Please agree with me.
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
the approved baseline schedule (target schedule) will remain as it was when approved. This is correct.

Basically, when you got approved baseline schedule, you will make a copy of this baseline schedule to make an update. you can name this file: PU01, PU02, ... and so on and so forth...

our planning engineer (consultant) .... percentage only. This is project to project basis. In progress update you can use percentage or remaining durations. It so happen that your consultant preference is percentage only. Is this correct????

basically, as contractor, you can do whatever you want for as long as you get the consultant approval. explain to him and convince him that waht you are doing is the best planning approach.