Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Finish date is being calculated from data Date

3 replies [Last post]
andrew francis
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 9 min ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear all,

I am unsure if this is a "glich" but I have noticed that if my DD is say 16 October 23, and I have an 20 d activity that should start on 11/3/ 24 and  finish 10/4/24  ( I dont want to change the DD as activities are still fluid and being added but some have started and i have not been able to set a baseline yet).  If This activity actually started on the 11/3/24 A and then I  F9 the schedule - the fiinsh date is showing as the 13 November 23. ( It looks as though it has added 20D to the DD. ?

Is this correct or a glich ?

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 13 hours 6 min ago. Offline

Hi Andrew,
That is correct and not a glitch. If you have a data date of 16-Oct-23, and the activity mentioned has an actual start date beyond the data date, for example, 11-Mar-2024, with a duration of 20 days but without any constraints or predecessors, P6 will calculate the remaining duration (in this case, 20 days) from the data date based on logic.

Please note that the activity has no predecessors and no start constraints; therefore, the calculation is based on logic or the CPM method (Forward Pass and Backward Pass), and actual start beyond data date will be ignored.

Remaining early Start = Datadate
Remaining early Finish = Datadate + remaining duration (say 20 days) 

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 13 hours 6 min ago. Offline

-delete-

david kelly
User offline. Last seen 11 hours 28 min ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hmm.

No.

If a 20 day activity has an actual start date of the 11th of March 24, then it will have a finish date of 5th April on a 5 day week. The Data Date is not relevent until it is greater than the Actual Start date