Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Training Ideas - Help wanted

15 replies [Last post]
Nigel Winkley
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Dear All

We often get students in engineering that I have to set a brief planning exercise for. I have previously used how to make a cup of tea.

Yup dead simple I know, but when the students are still not technically qualified, they can still make tea.

Things such as - do you really want tea? Or would you prefer coffee? Coke? Water? etc = feasibility study.

Procurement - tea, water, milk, sugar, power, kettle etc available.

And so on. Some manage to get to about 60 activities, some do 3.

This idea has now done the rounds so I am after another equivalent, non-technical example. Anyone got any suggestions? Have used a house construction - only one person asked for planning permission, everyone else just started building - no land, materials or resources!!! It has to be fairly easy, expandable, and should be understood by a non-technical, non-qualified student. Get them thinking, sure, but I cannot get them to plan a nuclear power station.

Any help/suggestions most appreciated.

Cheers

Nige

Replies

Peter Holroyd
User offline. Last seen 1 week 1 day ago. Offline
Oscar,
you obviously have decided what the objectives are.
I was hoping to promote a discussion between the do nothing and go home route, go to another pub next time option, the safe easy route, the more risky do a real project (ie build something) route and the crash and burn approach. Your personality obviously suits the last option.

Now did we discuss the project objective?
Oscar Wilde
User offline. Last seen 16 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
with that amount of time to go b*****cks to the programme im going swimming
Oscar
Peter Holroyd
User offline. Last seen 1 week 1 day ago. Offline
I always like the scenario

You’re stood on the canal tow path and the Pub is on the otherside. Nearest bridge is 5 miles away and it is 2 hours to closing. No boats are passing and the ferry has sunk (you can tell this is real!). You happen to have these items nearby............

Nigel Winkley
James

Thanks for that. I am trying to do somehting similar and will use your getting-up-in-the-morning as well.

As you can appreciate, when the students are not technically qualified, asking them to construct a nuclear power station/tunnel/hotel is beyond them. But as you say the everyday actvity - especially "opening your eyes" is ideal.

It’s not that I get bored, but that they do tend to mention things to each other and a new situation would be useful.

Thanks again and I’ll let everyone know what happens.

Cheers

Nige
James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
In summary: compile the same cup-of-tea programme into 4/5/6 different programmes. Each one going into further levels of detail.
James Griffiths
Nigel,

I think you’ve got yourself into a bit of a situation here.  In trying to find the ideal programme, you’ll probably go round in circles. I appreciate that you’re probably bored with the “making-a-cup-of-tea” programme, as would anyone teaching the same thing for long periods. However, I think that you need to take a step-back and objectively determine what it is that you are trying to teach your pupils. Bear in mind that each new intake of pupils may not have had any experience of programming. To them, therefore, the “making-a-cup-of-tea” programme will be ideal.

What you can teach them is obviously dependent on how much time can be devoted to it, so I’d imagine that you can really only teach them the principles. To stave-off complete death-by-boredom, from your point, you could try introducing additional elements of the cup-of-tea programme. For instance, you could have the person waking-up, having a shower, getting-dressed etc. This imposes a whole new set of constraints and potential logic, yet still retains simplicity and day-to-day association. As you teach these principles, you can expand by going into deeper and deeper levels of detail with things like drying your hair whilst waiting for the kettle to boil (parallel or serial, reduction of critical-path) or asking how anyone can put the kettle-on without having walked to the kitchen (interpretation of content within a task description).

Remember, Nigel, it doesn’t matter what it is that you’re planning…all that does is just determine the nouns and verbs within the descriptions and the minimum quantity of lines on the programmes. The principles, however, do not change. Remember also, that you, as the teacher, will be considered as God. You must be able to come-out with stuff that students would never even think about…and tell them why. Therefore, the best way to do that is by retaining the most simple of projects, yet astound your students with miniscule levels of detail, by saying “has anyone actually opened their eyes before walking down-stairs?” They’ll be utterly gob-smacked at your pedantry – but it conveys a principle truth.

I used to be an instructor in a sector which meant that students could live or die, literally, in the space of about two seconds. Yet all I could teach them were the principles, because the principles could apply to any given situation regardless of the prevailing dynamics. If I wanted to really test them, I’d have to ask if them if they were prepared to die….and it’s amazing how many of them were! This, of course, prepares them for being a Planner – a messenger-of-doom who is likely to get shot!

Cheers.

James.
Damian Smith
User offline. Last seen 13 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Nigel,

I guess it entirely depends on the level of detail you require/requested.

Maybe suggesting a dinner party could be an option.

For the girls night out, one would need to have an objective for the evening.
Nigel Winkley
Damien
I had a go at the wedding plan - got as far as 80 odd and gave up! TOO complicated! Try it yourself and see wat you get!

Like the perceived logic! Did something similar with an all female session - going out for the night. Came up with one critical path but not the real, women’s version. Interesting insight into women’s minds though.

Will try a few examples and see where I get and then ask the students to create something similar.

Who would be a trainer?!
Damian Smith
User offline. Last seen 13 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
I would strongly suggest a wedding or sports/party event. It can appeal to both sex’s and is relevant to day to day life.
James Griffiths
Nigel,

Try getting the training programme to contain "perceived logic" and "true logic". It’s surprising how much of a debate can ensue! Moreover, one extremely important aspect is getting the task descriptions correct (clear and unambiguous). This’ll get them realising that good use of language is essential. Moreover, it’ll force them into understanding that, if they are going to sub-divide one set of tasks, they have to do it for the whole lot, otherwise they’ll not be able to make the correct logic-links etc. etc.

I did a training programme for the installation of a kitchen....and boy did it turn-out to be a pain in the bum.

James.
Nigel Winkley
Clive

Nice one! Had not thought of that. And as you say good for "variations" and "Delays".

Think I’m sorted now. Have tried the wedding one...got as far as sending out invitations at 80 odd activities and gave up! I’m single...what do i know?!

Thanks everyone

Nige
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Try going to work scenario
ie get up
rush out the door catch the bus/miss the bus/bus dosent come
miss the train/leaves on the track
etc etc
the best thing here is its likely you will have different programmes as all will have different start locations and you can then add a serries of problems (delays) to affect the programme.
Students then get a grasp of what happens when you get a delay
If you then run an alternative route ie catch the train instead of the bus students start to understand that a programme may contain a number of paths.
Often a simple scenario like this gets the message across, particuarly as most people are aware of the vagaries of transport systems.
Clive
Fiona Maughan
User offline. Last seen 10 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Nigel

Have you thought about doing something related to a day in the life of a housewife i.e. shopping, cooking, washing ironing making beds etc. etc. picking up kids from school ?

Just an idea

Fiona
Nigel Winkley
Gary

Not thought of a wedding plan, I must admit. Maybe try that.

Fiona

Think most of the students MAY not have an idea about the life of a housewife - or househusband - you know how tidy students are! Might see if i can get something similar though...

Thanks guys!
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 13 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
2 I’ve used before are planning a wedding (good for lots of activities, and a relatively meaty critical path) and going to see England win the World Cup Final (good for looking at risk!)

Cheers,

G