Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

WBS Presentation

4 replies [Last post]
Jerry Alivio
User offline. Last seen 16 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
In my own view the Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)consist of different levels; Level1, Level 2, Level 3 and Level 4. Now, first is to review the content of the Contract then, the ITB where you can find the whole scope of works.

The Level 1 Title of the project, Level 2 individual desciplines, Level 3 Breakdown of activities as per descipline and Level 4 Activities, pre-commissioning and the Mechanical completion.

Whether some of you have different views or ideas with it regards WBS please try to share some to me, and I would be very grateful to have those samples.

Thank you all and best regards,

Jerry Alivio - Philippines

Replies

Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

The essential of WBS is very simple. WBS stand for WORK BREAKDOWN STRUCTURE. This is to break down the Scope of work from the highest level of detail to the lowest of detail.

If you are a planner with suficient years of contruction expereince it would be easy to visualize from the SOW which level constitute the higher level then the lowest level.

Cheers,

Charlie

Peter Holroyd
User offline. Last seen 1 week 1 day ago. Offline
PMI have issued industry applicable WBS templates. Have a look at their web site
James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Jerry,

In my environment, Nuclear Equipment Design, we tend to initially format the programme this way:

L1: Project title.
L2: Project Phase (Design, Manufacture, Installation, Commissioning).
L3: System Name (Work Package Name)eg. Crane, Shield Doors, Conveyors.
L4: Sub-system Name and their detailed activities.

Occasionally we go down to L8 or even 9, depending upon the complexity and how it needs to be reported. This is what I like about using MSP and the "Group By " function. It is extremely easy to format the program to whatever is desired.

As stated, there is no absolutely right way of formatting a programme. It will vary according to the environment and to whom you are reporting. The important thing is that you can extract the information.

As time goes-on, you’ll find the way that suits you.

James.
Nathaniel Cagara
User offline. Last seen 5 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Jerry,

Your concept of WBS is correct though the level of details may vary on each project.

In the oil, gas and power plant projects where i’ve been involved in the past 12 yrs the level 2 details normally shows each area, level 3 by system and level 4 by discipline or main equipment. Find out which breakdown best suits your project and start from your ITB.

Nathaniel - Philippines