Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Financial Planning ?????

26 replies [Last post]
Darrell ODea
User offline. Last seen 18 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Moderator,
Could you or one of you colleagues start a Financial Planning forum. Planning is not just about cruncing numbers for other parties. It should also be about Planning ones personal finances and planning for quality time.

Personally I would welcome a discussion on Financial Planning. So have we got any Financial Planners out there??
That might like to contribute to a nice heated discussion forum????

Regards,
Darrell
www.theicesgroup.com

Replies

Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
And I agree to a point, most jobs are laced with beuracratic procedures. What if you could dispence with procedure altogether? What that make one even smarterer?
------------------------------------------------------

Who says that procedures are beaucratic.....you should see our mission statement:

"We trained very hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganised. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganising, introducing new process, systems, interfaces and departments -- it can be a wonderful method of creating the illusion of progress while creating confusion, inefficiency, unmanageable interfaces, risk, increased costs, delays and demoralisation."
Darrell ODea
This is one of my favourits.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

www.theicesgroup.com
Darrell ODea
More of this David Brent stuff...
Forum Guest
Working smarter = refining the procedure so less effort is required
-----------------------------------------------------------

I don’t know ...i think we should have more varied threads....how else could we while away the hours at work...perhaps we could attend more meetings !

To quote the great David Brent

Rule 4: Process & Procedure are the last hiding place of people without the wit and wisdom to do their job properly
Darrell ODea
Daya,
Perhaps you are right.

Regards,
Darrell

ww.theicesgroup.com

I think Project Planning & Scheduling is enough to discuss in the forum. Financial Planning is different entity. May be it is useful, if all our planners are exhausted nothing to learn new, then we can go for this financial planning.
Darrell ODea
Denise,
I think you can if interested, still buy his videos in some high street shops, & probably at some good car boot sales, charity shops etc. Grate learning tools for da staff etc.

Darrell

Is David Brent world famous or something?
Darrell ODea
Yeah, David is just grate.
Forum Guest
World famous and has made millions !!
Denise Chapple
User offline. Last seen 10 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Is David Brent world famous or something?
Forum Guest
If you are looking at working smarter rather than harder you really should consider the David Brent school of project management:

Rule 16: Never do today that which will become someone elses responsibility tomorrow !!
Darrell ODea
Good answer Bernard,
And I agree to a point, most jobs are laced with beuracratic procedures. What if you could dispence with procedure altogether? What that make one even smarterer?
Regards,
Darrell

RE: Financial Planning ?????
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Working harder = expending greater effort executing a procedure

Bernard Ertl
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Sorry Darell,

I’m a little bit late to notice your question, but Bernard has given a nice explanation. Good going indeed.

Regards

Daya
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Working harder = expending greater effort executing a procedure

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems - eTaskMaker Project Planning Software
Darrell ODea
What if you have no Junior Planners?
Denise Chapple
If you can pusuade all of the junior planners to create sub plans that are fully resourced and fully costed and are inserted into a shell or master plan then you can sit back and watch the updates taking place from the master plan - I’d say that was pretty smart!
Darrell ODea
Dayanidhi,
What is the process for working smarter???

Regards,
Darrell
Darrell ODea
Denise,
RE: Financial Planning ?????

Thanks for that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Insert the cost column into your favourite table. Put in a task such a material cost and enter a figure into cost. All the tasks which are resourced will be showing costs if you have put rates against your resources. Simple the costs add upwards
Denise Chapple
Insert the cost column into your favourite table. Put in a task such a material cost and enter a figure into cost. All the tasks which are resourced will be showing costs if you have put rates against your resources. Simple the costs add upwards
Darrell ODea
What is the process then????
Denise Chapple
If the resources are costed and the non-resourced tasks are added into any planning tool then the cost falls out. Cost plus profit = price. What are costs profit and prices if not finance? Tasks can be to invest, buy shares or whatever you want your plans to be about.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Based on experience only one can learn how to work smarter, instead of working harder. This trick can’t be learned in overnight. One has to undergo the process, then only can understand or having someidea of how to work smarter rather than working harder.
Darrell ODea
You guys, just work way too hard. Whats that phrase employers keep harking on about, "Work smarter, not harder". Maybe this concept is inapplicable????????? What does it mean to people then, "Work Smarter, Not Harder" ??

Regards,
Darrell
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
I think Project Planning & Scheduling is enough to discuss in the forum. Financial Planning is different entity. May be it is useful, if all our planners are exhausted nothing to learn new, then we can go for this financial planning.
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 4 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
My view is if it is project management on Financial Planning, that’s fine. The discussion will be on how to provide financial planning consultancy services to customers, how to control, how to keep record, review and feedback, all on methodology side. Are those financial planners need tools to help to manage customers, is the financial planning companies need to monitor her resources (like staff, software, etc) for control. I don’t mind on this management side.
If the forum is talking about interest rate, investment, retirment plan, saving plan, etc., it is not my interest.
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Should we add a wedding/party planning section too? (Just kidding!)

Personally, I think that financial planning is a very different subject from the current focus of the site. I would rather keep the PP focus on planning and scheduling for project management. Of course, the PP Team makes final decisions on these matters independent of the moderators, so if enough members want it, it may happen.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems - eTaskMaker Project Planning Software
Darrell ODea
Bernard,

Planning is planning is planning,
Absolutely, have a wedding / party planning section. Planning does not just apply to heavy construction or industrial use. Planning should at its very core, start at grass roots level. Planning a day, to-do lists etc. If we all planned our days and weeks down to finite detail, we would probably only have to work 2 or 3 days a week.

Anyway, perhaps if there was a Financial Planning forum available, more and more people could get to the point in their careers, where they colud choose to work only 2 or 3 days a week, or maybe none at all. Thus opening up more opportunity for the remaining Planners. This would be a good thing, would it not????

Regards,
Darrell