Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Complex Negative Float Query

11 replies [Last post]
Karim Tarafdar
User offline. Last seen 2 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi all,

I am looking to resolve some negative float on a P6 schedule handed over to me.

Please note:

1. There are no hard Constraints

2. No 'Must Finish By' on the project date

3. No external relationships 

As you can see below, the on the 'Project Start' activity the 'Late Finish' is earlier than the 'Early Start'. (DD is July-22).

Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

Bryon McConnell

Does this schedule have instances in which a Finish Milestone has a different calendar than its predecessor activity?  For example, a 7 day/week activity ends on a Saturday, and then the following work is on a 5 day/week calendar.  I have found by times that this can lead to negative Total Float.  In those cases, I have found an acceptable work-around is to insert a short "buffer" activity between the aforementioned activities, setting it to the 5 day/week calendar; it needs to be only long enough to absorb the negative Total Float.

Bryon McConnell

Does this schedule have instances in which a Finish Milestone has a different calendar than its predecessor activity?  For example, a 7 day/week activity ends on a Saturday, and then the following work is on a 5 day/week calendar.  I have found by times that this can lead to negative Total Float.  In those cases, I have found an acceptable work-around is to insert a short "buffer" activity between the aforementioned activities, setting it to the 5 day/week calendar; it needs to be only long enough to absorb the negative Total Float.

Bryon McConnell

Bryon McConnell

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 25 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

thats impossible if what you say is true then the backward pass late finish will equal the forward pass early finish and the float will ALWAYS be zero

Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 25 weeks ago. Offline

There are a couple more methods that create Negative Float missed out from the responses above and Gert Truyen's document:

1. If you import a file from another database and the original project has External Relatonships then the imported file will have External Early Starts and External Early Finish Constraints representing the missing relationships which can cause Negative float. The Start and/or Finish dates will have an "*" and the constraints may be removed from the Extenal Early Start and External Early Finish columns.

2. Also if you do not use Retained Lag and have a Loop in the logic and an activity with Actual Finish then the software will not give a looping logic error and create negative lag, see my article here: http://eastwoodharris.com/DL/TP/190416_Understanding_P6_Schedule_Options_When_scheduling_activities_use.pdf

Paul Harris

There are a couple more methods that create Negative Float missed out from the responses above and Gert Truyen's document:

1. If you import a file from another database and the original project has External Relatonships then the imported file will have External Early Starts and External Early Finish Constraints representing the missing relationships which can cause Negative float. The Start and/or Finish dates will have an "*" and the constraints may be removed from the Extenal Early Start and External Early Finish columns.

2. Also if you do not use Retained Lag and have a Loop in the logic and an activity with Actual Finish then the software will not give a looping logic error and create negative lag, see my article here: http://eastwoodharris.com/DL/TP/190416_Understanding_P6_Schedule_Options_When_scheduling_activities_use.pdf

Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 10 hours ago. Offline

The first thing you look for when you see a negative float is the constraints that are applied to the schedule, but that is not the only reason that generates the negative float in P6.  In the absence of date constraints P6 can inadvertently still cause negative float[1]. Somehow this flaw is still overlooked by many of the “experts” in scheduling as if it never happened.  

P6 has a calculation option called, “Actual Dates.” If the Actual Dates option is selected, then the predecessor’s late finish is set to the time unit before the actual start of the out-of-sequence successor. This assignment has the potential of creating negative float without date constraint[2].

[1] 5 reasons why your P6 schedule contains negative total float

[2] The Inner Workings of P6

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 25 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

if items 1,2, and 3 are correct as you stated then the Late finish MUST equal the Early finish and total float will ALWAYS be zero 

this is the basis for CPM calculations this is how the algorithm works