Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

XER file size increasing

25 replies [Last post]
Eric Graham
User offline. Last seen 8 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Please, I need help understanding my problem!

Last year we upgraded to Primavera version 8.3.  We recently noticed that the size of our xer export files has been increasing exponentially for some time now and is now quickly getting out of hand.  My knowledge of the database side of things is minimal, but I believe I have been able to identify the aspect of the export that has been increasing.  By opening the files in a text viewer I can easily identify that the "POBS" table is out of control.  However the entries are all illegible and jumbled up.  The only thing legible is that the "pobs_manager" is "admin".  also the "pobs_parent_id" is "100".  Does anyone know what is going on?  I have trouble even identifying what the "POBS" table is.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 25 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

there could be 1 things doing this

1. POBS tabes

2. Bad un-needed risk category types

to clean this mess up it is a 2 step process

step 1

clean the existing POBS tables from your existing database

I need to know if you ae using Microsoft sql or Oracel XE as your underlying database. One you tell me that I can provide the solution to clean your existing database.

step 2 

clean EVERY xer file prior to importing of un-necessary POBS tables and the bad Risk Types

here is the free utility to clean the xer files

http://scheduleanalyzer.com/PurgePOBS.exe

after you clean the xer file make sure to import the clean one. The utility will clena the xer file and create another xer with the word clean in the xer file name.

Syed Ali
User offline. Last seen 4 years 26 weeks ago. Offline

My programme is consists of 19000 activites . I am using 17.12.8 version, file size is 57 MB and take 4 hours to import with resources, without resources 2:30 minutes.

POBS Eraser is not working at all, shrink the file from 57 to 56 MB and when I am opening it in the Notepad++ there is no %T POBS line.

Please tell me what should I do to reduce the time of import.

Thanks

Zoltan Palffy

Joel that is software that he would have to pay for 

Joel Roberts
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Eric,

You may have found a solution now on how to remove POBS data in XER files, but anyway, whoever might be concerned, there is a simple solution to clean POBS data.

The solution is ScheduleCleaner software, there is a post on Planning Planet so you can read more in details.

In general, the tool remove/hide POBS data, Costs, Rates, Pricing, Units, Progress, convert global to project calendars, and convert EPS to Project Activity Codes.

Try to clean POBS with ScheduleCleaner, the file size will be significantly decreased, and app performances increased.

Joel

Zoltan Palffy

none of them do it just cleans Project Organizational Breakdown Structures that are not used on Primavera. As a matter of fact in the later releases of P6 they do not exist at all. 

Andrew Podolny
User offline. Last seen 1 year 10 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Vineet.

If you are asking about my utility - the answer is no. It doesn't affect any cost or resources. Check more detailed help on that here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7nhpq2fc1nt335/Instructions.pdf?dl=0

Regards,

Andrew

Zoltan Palffy

no the POBS cleaner wii not delete anything. cleaning an xer file is only half of the solution. You need to clean your database of the POBS tables. Then prior to importing ANY xer files run them thru the cleaner. If using sql here are the instructions to clean you database. 

Go to Start

All Programs

Microsoft SQL Server 2005

SQL Server Management Express Studio

Server name: is name of computer

Authentication: SQL Server Authentication

Login: sa

Password: Prima123Vera

Click Connect

Click on Databases and expand it

Highlight pmdb$primavera

Up top select New Query

On the right hand side type delete pobs;

Then right click and select execute

Close SQL

Done

Prior to importing any XER file, always first open the XER file in NotePad and find the %T POBS records and remove that section from the file, save, then import the cleaned file.

Vineet Singh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 43 weeks ago. Offline

Will POBS cleaning, delete the cost loaded entity or will it delete cost resourses also??

Vineet Singh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 43 weeks ago. Offline

Chris, Is POBS eraser a software?? can you please share the link.

Zoltan Palffy

Chris that is only part of the solution you have to first clean your existing database to reduce the size in the database itself. This will ensure xer files that you export are clean. Then you must clean EVER xer file prior to importing this is the only way to keep it clean. 

see my previous post on how to do this. 

Chris Radecki
User offline. Last seen 7 years 14 weeks ago. Offline

We use PobsEraser - simple,  no admin restrictions. 

Reduces files quickly.  

Makes for a fast import.

Chris Radecki
User offline. Last seen 7 years 14 weeks ago. Offline

We use PobsEraser - simple,  no admin restrictions. 

Reduces files quickly.  

Makes for a fast import.

Zoltan Palffy

Ian you need to clean the database and you need to clean ALL xer files prior to importing

Go to Start

All Programs

Microsoft SQL Server 2005

SQL Server Management Express Studio

Server name: is name of computer

Authentication: SQL Server Authentication

Login: sa

Password: Prima123Vera

Click Connect

Click on Databases and expand it

Highlight pmdb$primavera

Up top select New Query

On the right hand side type delete pobs;

Then right click and select execute

Close SQL

Done

now use any POBS cleaner to clean xe files prior to importing

Ian McQueen
User offline. Last seen 4 years 36 weeks ago. Offline

Michael L.

What a saviour! I was in the process of exporting several P6 files that I had been working on and found they had ballooned out 3-4 times. First time I had seen this. Fortunately I managed to find a thread in Planning Planet referring to this and ended up using your solution including the suggestion for Notepad ++.

It is times like this that we appreciate the internet and the broader planning community. Thank you very much.

Zoltan Palffy

Andrew has given you the solution for cleaning the POBS files after they have become xer files this is good for cleaning the files that you get from other users however this is only half of the solution your own database still has the POBS tables in there. So when YOU generate an xer file you will be giving someone an xer file with the POBS tables in it. You can clean the  xer file with the utility that Andrew has provided but then you can not use the function file send project.

So to solve the other half of the problem with the POBS tables is to clean the tables out from your database then remember to clean ALL xer files prior to importing them.

to clean the database  follow these instructions

http://pmsite.com/forums/viewthread/3322/

Andrew Podolny
User offline. Last seen 1 year 10 weeks ago. Offline

For all who are interested in cleaning of XER from POBS - I've wrote simple utility to do this.

Can be found here https://www.dropbox.com/s/swe1bzclie9ocdk/XER_POBS.exe?dl=0

No installation required assuming you have Windows OS. Optionally it also allows you to "disconnect" units from Cost calculation. It might be useful when you have activity total cost distortion after import/export of XER.

This file is virus free:

SHA256: 9b28594263f2f8787f4415fea2281b0d0500337cfbdf3afe57c482e241dd3ba9File name: XER_POBS.exeDetection ratio: 0 / 55Analysis date: 2015-09-08 15:29:11 UTC Best Regards.Andrew
Zoltan Palffy

hey Mike

As per Oracle 

"Functions related to table POBS have not been implemented yet so the table has not been put to use. The table may be removed in a future release.

If there is data in this table, then it's probably present in the sample database and not inserted during operations performed in the application"

I see that you tried to install the sample projects. Did you try to install the sample projects in version 6.2 or 8.3 ?

If you imported a xer from someone that had a POBS in it then now you have it in your database.

So I have cleaned my database (this means NO POBS tables coming out of my system during an export of and xer file)

In order to prevent any POBs tables being imported INTO my database I always purge ALL xer files prior to importing them.This process eliminates all POBS tables in my database.

Eric if you want to prevent the tables from building up in the future I would suggest that you follow the above procedure. 

Michael Lepage
User offline. Last seen 1 year 8 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Zoltan,

So this whole things begs the question "How does POBS data get generated in the first place?" Why do some dbs have it and others not?

I installed a few P6 sample dbs from different versions to see if they had data in the POBS table and I didn't find any. I also try to perform some P6 functions (create new project, schedule, level, etc.) to see if POBS data is generated and it didn't have any effect. There's a source here somewhere and I'm determined to find it. 

Let me know if you have any clues.

Michael

Zoltan Palffy

there are several POBS cleaners out there that will clean an xer file for you instead of doing it manually these are called purge programs 

Ron Winter has one

Emerald Associates has one 

and there is one included in the xertool kit program

to prevent this from happening again there is a two step process 

step 1

in order you YOUR system not to creaet POBS entries in xer files that you export you have to go into the microsoft slq database and run this script

delete from pobs; 

then right click and select execute

this will clean out an POBS tables that you currently have and will prevent any POBS tables being created when youexport and xer file

step 2 

always clean or purge ANY xer file before you import it into your database. This will prevent you from adding these tables back into your database.

Michael Lepage
User offline. Last seen 1 year 8 weeks ago. Offline

Zoltan's suggestion of deleting the POBS entries in the XER file is the way to go (also recommended by Oracle Support).

Since an XER file can have 1000s of POBS lines, I came up with a bit of a shortcut that I've written up in on how to clean an XER file of POBS data here.

Michael

Zoltan Palffy

here is what I have done to and it has reduced my database size by 50%

delete from pobs; 

then right click and select execute

also before you import any xer files delete the POBS information as shown below I did this and a 7 meg file to to 1 meg

1. Open the XER in a text editor (example, notepad)
  2. Find the line which reads:  %T POBS
  3. Select the following lines within the XER until you reach the next %T:
    1. %T POBS
    2. %F (including all line content)
    3. %R (including all line content)
    4. Example:
      1. highlight this line --> %T POBS
      2. highlight this line --> %F pobs_id pobs_parent_id seq_num pobs_name pobs_descr pobs_manager
      3. highlight this line --> %R 100  0 POBS_Root Performing Organization_Root
    5. DO NOT HIGHLIGHT THIS LINE, ASSUMING THIS IS THE NEXT %T line listed in the XER file --> %T UDFTYPE
  4. Delete all data highlighted from step 3.
    1. Note: The deleted data should only be the %T (table name line for POBS), %F (field names for POBS), %R (all POBS row data)
  5. Save the XER file and close the text editor.

so you are deleting the info in the xer file from the %T POBS all the way to line right BEFORE the next %T

Import the updated XER file.

Zoltan Palffy

yes run the scripts that I posted 

Eric Graham
User offline. Last seen 8 years 21 weeks ago. Offline

Is there any way to prevent this from building up in the future?  What exactly is the POBS table?

Zoltan Palffy

why not go into microsoft sql and shrik the file and the database

also a cleanup of the data base from time to time helps 

run these scripts

first run this one 

update statistics project with fullscan ,all

update statistics task with fullscan, all after it fnishes run this 

exec sp_updatestats 

and also this cleans up lost 

declare @ret integer, @msg varchar(255)