Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

as late as possible

5 replies [Last post]
raed hussein
User offline. Last seen 11 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

i use this type of constraint to link engineering activities with construction activities is it right ? if not pls advise me

Replies

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi,

I use ALAP for engineering and may input 1 month buffer just to establish the possible start. After establishing the start of engineering, either use a lag from the Engineering Start or Start Constraint then remove ALAP.

This will give Tech Dept time to prepare and a buffer before construction.

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 5 years 6 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Mike,

I would say using ALAP gives the latest delivery date for the design deliverable, not the correct one.

I prefer to plan engineering tasks to happen as early as possible (allowing for limited engineering resources, and prioritised on free float). They often slip, but this way you have the max amount of buffer before slippage becomes an issue.

Another point to note is that if you are using ALAP, be sure you have allowed enough time for any procurement required before construction can commence.

Cheers,

G

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi Gary

I disagree.

Having engineering tasks linked to construction by ALAP gives the correct delivery date for the design.

If the construction slips then the designers have more time.

If the design slips then the construction is delayed.

I would usually put a 5 day buffer on the link and have the "Traffic Lights" set to 5 days.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 5 years 6 weeks ago. Offline

I would advise against.

If the engineering task is just 1 day late, it will delay construction. And since engineering activities are notoriously difficult to predict and control, this is quite a risky approach.

Feng Benjamin
User offline. Last seen 1 year 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear Raed

This logic only works if you have ensured there are no "open" activities. Having a missing link would result in these activities being measured from the end of the entire project.

Warmest Regards,
Benjamin