Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

drive activity dates and resource dependent tasks

1 reply [Last post]
omid khan
User offline. Last seen 5 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

hi 

as it is written primavera books a "resource dependent" activity is an activity that is dependent on the resource calender

but what i see in action is quite different .look at the pic below.i have added 2 activities and have assigned them a resource named "omid".one activity is resource dependent and the other is task dependent.the activity calender for both activities has saturdays and sundays as nonworking days but the resource calender is 7/24 working day calender.i have given both activities a duration of 5 days so according to books the task dependent activity should end on tuesday which is true but for the resource dependet activity the activity should end on sunday but it ends like the task dependent activity on tuesday.now i want to know 2 things

1)why the resource dependent activity does not end on sunday 

2)what does the option "drive activity dates" does when we assign resources and why is it active for both resource dependent and task dependent activities?

thanks

untitled.png

Replies

Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 23 weeks ago. Offline

Dear Omid,

As I can see in your image attached, it is obvious that you did change the Activity Type for Task Dependent to Resource Dependent in your Activity Name "Resource Dependent". It should like this:

cal.png

Drive activity dates

Resources that do not drive the dates of the activity to which they are assigned are considered to be nondriving. You can define resources as driving or nondriving by default in the Projects Window, Project Details, Resources tab. When scheduling nondriving resources,

drive.png

Resources that drive activity dates cannot be assigned to WBS summary activities.

Cheers,

Arnold