Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Christmas Freeze in MS Project 2003

8 replies [Last post]
Alicia Hollow
User offline. Last seen 13 years 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: None

I have added a Christmas freeze to my Plan from 19/12 - 01/01 in "Change Working Time" by entering them as exception days (non-working). This has been saved but it hasnt pushed out any of the task dates that were due to fall in the freeze period to after the freeze period....what am I doing wrong please?

Thanks

Ali

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 8 hours ago. Offline

Alexandre,

I got it, thanks again, I was expecting for something better on part of MSP, it is funny indeed.

"it is possible with MSP to schedule work on a task when the resource is available after the task is finished! "- that I understood after after your previous clarification, that the activity bars and the resource assignment bars are not matching is the new surprise. Perhaps it can be a theme for a discussion on a new thread as for me to understand MSP reasoning.

Alicia,

I hope the discussion have been of much help to you, perhaps you was expecting from MSP the behavior I was. I would like to know if you solved your issue and how. Even when I am not a MSP user I frequently transfer un-statused subcontractor files directly into or baselines. I look for a better understanding on the basics of MSP that will help me interpret the different ways of MSP. I also transfer files from other software I do not use, some of our subcontractors are still using old versions of P3 and SureTrak and I have the same need with these also.

Best regards,

Rafael

Rafael Davila

Alexandre,

I do not have MSP any longer, but accept your clarification, it works different to Spider Project. For me it is unsuspecting and hard to believe that a software will schedule work on an activity when unlimited/limited resources are not available (task calendar to take priority), that an activity will be scheduled when it is not available ( priority by default to the resource calendar) by virtue of its own calendar is even more of a surprise. Thanks for the clarification as I still must struggle with the interpretation of some schedules submitted by our subcontractors in MSP, now I have a better view on the awkward results by MSP.

I have seen worst, there is software out there where you can schedule resources at different times the activity is scheduled I believe they call it "Bucket Planning", a worst violation of resource assignment logic, at least in MSP activity bars agree with resource assignment bars.

Best regards,

Rafael

Rafael Davila

Try checking all your calendars, start with the activity calendar to make sure the exceptions were applied. Even if you changed global calendar or whatever name MSP uses there is a possibility calendars previously defined based on this calendar will not the automatically adjusted, and even if so, maybe calendar exceptions are not transferred.

If activity calendar have the Christmas exception then the activity will not be scheduled within this period no matter what the calendar of your resources is. Work on an activity is scheduled when all resources within any individual team are available at the same time the activity is available for work. This means resource calendars must be compatible with activity calendar, that is that they shall share some common work time. An activity calendar with 24hr work time is compatible with a resource calendar to work at night as well with a resource calendar to work during the day. 

In order to schedule work on different shifts on the same activity the software must allow for modeling of teams, therefore in MSP as well as in many other software without this functionality this imposes a limitation on their models, the workaround is splitting the activity into two which makes a poor model.

Hope the shift work issue does not create confusion but a clue on how to handle work on shift resources and their calendars.

Alicia Hollow
User offline. Last seen 13 years 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: None

Firstly; Thank you for your suggestions..

Secondly...Oh dear!

I made the change to the Standard (Project Calendar) but all the tasks only show Standard and it doesnt say the (Project Calendar) part...

All the tasks have the Standard calendar but the days I added to be part of the Christmas Freeze still show as working days (scratches head and looks puzzled!)

Any further thoughts ?? Can I perhaps try and create a new calendar?

Thanks

Ali

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 5 years 15 weeks ago. Offline

Alicia,

in the "change working time" bit, check which calendar you have ammened -you'll see this listed in the top left.

Then insert the column "task calendar" into your sheet and make sure the tasks you want to be pushed out are using the same calendar

(NB: If you have made the change to the calendar which has been made the "Project calendar" in" Project>Project Information", this should be used as default for all tasks without you having to specify.)

If this isn't solving your problem ,the only other thing I can think of is to check you made the changes to the christmas period for the correct year(s)!