Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Lag Time Calendar

29 replies [Last post]
Mustafa Yagcioglu
User offline. Last seen 8 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello,

MS Project 2003 calculates lag time based on successor activity calendar. Is it possible to change this setting as the predecessor activity calendar? P6 can do this.

Thank you in advance,

Mustafa,

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 week 6 days ago. Offline
Hi Raphael,

I will download the sample from your UK Site soon, to remember how good your product is and maybe to crusade for the inclusion of some of the functionality embedded into Microplanner but not into others.

I used Microplanner at a time you were free to select your own software, now our specs are still calling for P3/SureTrak, both software doomed for extinction soon, which were never upgraded after version 3.1. We do not find P6 as the adequate substitute; it is too much of overkill plus with an unnecessary interface when doing stand alone jobs. Some are considering MS Project, I tried MS Project again but find it to be no good because of the lack of control in your task ID, no laddering allowed unless adding a dummy task for every occurrence, and a few other issues.

My experience with Microplanner was so good I would like to see it filling the gap left by P3. Yes it will happen; Primavera/Oracle eventually will lose the base and with it even will lose the Enterprise users.

I do work on a contract basis for various small contractors, I do Quantity Take off, Methods Improvements, Submittals review and Scheduling. I am limited to what they already use. I am sure you will understand it is not my choice I must follow the pack.

Thanks again for the offering.

Cordially,
Rafael Davila

As you can see from other threads within MS Project I gave MS Project a fair chance, It is not a bad product and have some funftionalities others do lack. But who knows, eventually I will follow the pack...
Raphael M. Dua
User offline. Last seen 2 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Rafael

Why don’t you download a copy of Micro Planner X-Pert from my UK web site. While it is a sampler it is quite big enough to run a small project and you will have everythinh you want to do at NO cost to you or the boss. And you will enjoy all those lovely things that you obviously remember.
Yes the deasdly embrace I remember it well

Micro Planner Manager runs up to 1350 tasks with all the things you want. E-Mail me at raf@microplanning.com.au and I will give a great price for a copy

Raf
Raphael M. Dua
Rafael

Why don’t you download a copy of Micro Planner X-Pert from my UK web site. While it is a sampler it is quite big enough to run a small project and you will have everythinh you want to do at NO cost to you or the boss. And you will enjoy all those lovely things that you obviously remember.
Yes the deasdly embrace I remember it well

Micro Planner Manager runs up to 1350 tasks with all the things you want. E-Mail me at raf@microplanning.com.au and I will give a great price for a copy

Raf
Rafael Davila
Raphael:

We usually keep is as simple as we can. We generally use only two calendars, one for the standard work week and one in calendar days for a hammock that spans the whole project duration.

That is the secret, manage the problem, not fudge the answer through multiple calendars, I agree. But I still believe in choices, the more you have the better, not everyone has the same scheduling needs, that is why I did not even dared to question Mustafa needs for link calendars.

I miss a lot Microplanner, my MAC version could handle both, Activity on Arrow and Activity on Node, you could not switch for one to the other at a click of the mouse but you had the options. If Microplanner can still handle both using the mathematical computations from the Arrow arithmetic, why not others? I believe they should follow.

I got a copy of the book Faster Construction Projects With CPM Scheduling by Murray w. foreword by Obrien. I am just starting with my reading but at first glance seem like at home we are doing what Murray proposes.

We are small to medium sized Contractors that can handle our Schedules with 300 to 600 activities, of course as long as the owner does not pretend to make the schedule a substitute of a Submittal Log with hundreds of items, just long lead, critical and near critical submittals should do it. We usually do not resource load our schedules but include some logic into the schedule to solve this issue as algorithms at times will go unpredictably the other way. I do resource load the schedule on my own as to verify if we solved all relevant over allocation issues. We do not use WBS we use Activity Codes. We do not Cost Load our Schedules unless forced by the specs to satisfy the Owners desire for an S curve that will never happen. Some contractors do have accounting software that can link Job Costing to Schedules like Timberline, we do not use this feature even when available. In summary if the schedule becomes too complicated it will end at the Porto lets where the job superintendant will make good use of it.

When at those committee meetings remember us, small contractors, what you say and discuss is relevant to everyone.

Cordially,
Rafael

By the way my regards to The Deadly Embrace
Rafael Davila
For those of you interested into the intricacies of links, lags and ladders I want to share the following link, where you can download an article that might be of interest.

http://www.mosaicprojects.com.au/PDF/Links_Lags_Ladders.pdf

If you have P3 you can run Figure 11 schedule, run it once with the Tools/Schedule/Options/Contiguous Schedule Durations and then with Tools/Schedule/Options/Interruptible Schedule Durations.

SureTrak could not handle the issue as well as P3, I wonder about P6 and MS Project.

Best Regards,
Rafael

Raphael M. Dua
Mike

I tried your e-mail address and the following occurred

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: E-Mail Ref MPI2009062201 - Raf Papers
Sent: 22/06/2009 9:30 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

’planning.services@xlninternet.co.uk.’ on 22/06/2009 9:31 PM
501 : domain missing or malformed

Fancy your ISP doing that to an honorary Aus
Send me an e-mail ro Raf@microplanning.com.au and I will send you a reply.

Is there a limit to your mailbox?

Raf
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi Raf

My working email is planning.services@xlninternet.co.uk.

I look forward to reading your paper.

The CIOB will soon be publishing their Guide to Best Practice for Time Control in the Construction Industry.

I was on the drafing committee for a short while until we fell out over what the main thrust of the document should be.

I never did like committees anyway but I thought I could have some influence.

The one section that I contributed was on integration of M&E works into construction projects - you are welcome to an advance copy if you are interested.

Please let me know next time you are in the top end of the world - I live about 120 miles north east of London.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Raphael M. Dua
Mike

Oh, Iam sorry, being an honorary OZ is probably the highest honour that can be bestowed on somebody who is (by his own admission) not a planner. :-)

My objection to SS & FF in Precedence diagrams; is that the folk who sell the software have absolutly no idea about lag drag, which is the problem with this technique.

At least Microsoft has not got the problem because they can’t even do SS and FF on the same task.

When using SS (Lead) and FF(Lag) in an arrow diagram the game is different and the two activities that are connected have to described differently as do the lead and lags. So in ICT we invented Ladders to overcome the math problem that IBM threw up with it’s precedence software on the 7090 PERT system. (Are you old enough to remember the 7090 - it was a big favourite with the old CEGB, until ICT sold them 1900’s to run ICT 1900 PERT)

The reason for Ladders came about when in early 1960’s construction companies like George Wimpey, Marples, Taylor Woodrow, Costain, wanted a method of overlapping activities in order to shorten the amount of time a series of interdependent activities took. It was an early form of programme acceleration.

I have written a simple book on Basic Critical Path - well not recently, would you believe 1965, of which I have given away heaps. It fully explains how Ladders works and shows the math behind the calculations. If as a Construction person you would like to learn how a Pommy company beat the world, let know by givimg me your e-mail address and I will happily give you a copy

Our friends the Americans were .....I believe the word is ....Gobsmacked ... when at the PMICOS in Boston last May I described lag drag problem that had never heard of, and all it’s horrible results in P3, Open Plan, etc.

Especially the folk who do Construction Delay Claims, as now they understood the reasons for some jurisdictions in the US for banning the use of SS and FF links as well as negative FS links in programmes (Mostly P3 I might add)

Already since my earlier posting I have had twenty direct e-mails requesting copies of my PMI paper. So there is some hope yet

We must catch up next time I am in the UK, which is generally on an annual basis.

By the way CIOB have in their recent publications on how to do Critical Path included Ladders!

Raf
Mike Testro
Hi Raphael

Thank you for your thoughtful and measured comments.

You say you cannot agree with me then go on to highlight the problems associated with SS and FF links - in my philosophy they should never be used at all.

I have never looked into the nuts and bolts of planning software - neither am I a planner. As I have said before I am a builder who can work the software.

I have been advocating simple Bottom Up Planning for some time now where there is no need for + or - lead lags.

It is simple - easy and accurate.

By the way I am an honourary ossie - having been adopted by a bunch of drongoes in Baghdad in ’84. My adopted name was Whacko - as in Barry McKensies "Whacko the Diddle O"

Best regards

Mike Testro
Raphael M. Dua
Rafael

I forgot to add to my previous post as you miss your beloved MAC, you can still use Micro Planner X-Pert using dare I say it .... Windows .... download it off my UK page
www.microplanner.co.uk

Another thing that amuses me is why people want a lead or lag to have a different calendar. If you say it is because you want a duration between two Tasks, then you really should use a Dummy task, with as Mike says a plain old FS no duration same calendar as all the data.

I am further amused at the absolute precision arithmetically that all the young planners today are able to plan a schedule for whatever 100% correctly, no room for doubt or error. Gee I wish it was that easy as Mike will testify, some of my bigger and better projects have gone 15 years in duration with durations in hours and we thought that being + or - minus 3% (the statistical error of estimating) we were absolutely Gods !. Well we built all 6 submarins to the original forecast milestone dates. Spot on, but then we did use Micro Planner for the MAC, and never created a schedule so big it could not be managed.
That is the secret, manage the problem , not fudge ithe answer through multiple calendars

Raf
Raphael M. Dua
Everyone
Goodness me, what a todo
As the co-inventor of the Ladder Technique when I worked for ICT back in 1964, I cannot agree with you Mike.
As Rafael said CPM was able to do this.
The problem lies with SS and FF when using Precedence Diagrams.

There was NEVER a problem with any of the ICL Pert poackages, and by god we wrote a few for every variety of British Made computer from 1956 to 1988.

The reason we did not have a problem with the Critical path was that we used Arrow Diagrams, when we went to Precedence with VME PERT (sigh, what a great package that was) we used all the mathemetaical computations from the Arrow arithmetic.

Micro Planner which of course I have been an original member of (we started in 1978 and are still going strong) still uses the Arrow diagram method of computations and by use of particular options we know that lead and lags exist which are different from the lead and lag for a Ladder. Thus regardless of calendar (isn’t this where it all started back at the strat of this thread) we calculate the Critical Path spot on every time , all the time. Have done that many Forensic EOT’s using Micro Planner to calculate the awful input which i have converted from MS Project Open Plan P3.
They all get the Earliest Start date wrong due to lag drag.
I have just presented at the latest PMI COS a paper entitled "Scheduling 102 Solution to the SS FF Lag Drag Problem". Anybody who wants to know how to solve the problem raging at the moment, email me at raf@microplanning.com.au and I will send you a copy. It shows all the maths etc.
If you can’t do that then I suggest you read H S Woodgates very good book on "Planning by Network" originally published in 1966

Mike .. I just love your stirring, you could almost become an OZ :-)

Raf
Mike Testro
Hi Mustafa

I hope you have picked up a bit of information following your original thread.

It happens in PP that threads often go off at wild tangents.

This is good so long as it is controlled.

Rafael and I have a history of "Knock About" debate.

We are both better off for it.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Mike Testro
Hi Rafael

The point is that if the progress point - however measured - is past the lead lag link to the next task then the remaining part of the task drops out of the critical path - infinite float - worthless.

The succesor task is now entirely dependant on progress inputs to maintain any criticality - until its next progress point goes past it’s lead lag link and then it drops off.

You are left with a bunch of floating activities and now you are required to assess the effect on completion of a delay event.

You can’t do it.

Your company will lose a whole slab of money and then I will come in and be paid another slab of money to put it right.

You say that a critical path is 1960’s old hat planning.

It Ain’t - it’s real - it’s now - it’s essential.

Please do me a favour - do it properly first time and I will be out of a job.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rafael Davila
Mustafa,

I am sorry we diverted the discussion but I would like to highlight my previous comment about the issue of multiple links from a single predecessor not being transferred from P6 into MS Project, a warning in good faith just in case. If this happened this might also make your schedule dates to differ.

Best regards,
Rafael

Rafael Davila
Mike,

I am not following you and would like to model your question. I am aware that discrete approach versus use of lag before any updating might look similar but not necessarily after updating. You might be bringing an issue of interest to all, maybe into another thread as not to interfere any more with Mustafa needs.

I am not used to update progress using %complete, I use remaining duration from DD supplied by the field. I believe use of %complete as updating option might not produce the true remaining duration, a formula not to be applied literally. I would appreciate if you can also provide me with the Remaining Duration.

As a general rule I do not let my schedule settings to allow the software to manipulate activity/task durations in any way. If you are using methods or settings that allow the software to manipulate task duration I might get somewhat lost.

Best regards,
Rafael
Mike Testro
Hi Rafael

What happens when you have a lead lag link 20 days into a 50 day task and you enter 50% progress.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rafael Davila
Mike,

Here we go again, isn’t the use of lag an issue you continuously bring up to the table? We were looking for the options to approach the handling of lag calendars when you brought it.

A single set of rules for all jobs is in error. Others do have their own set of rules for proper planning, open your mind, there are no absolutes.

True Critical Path is a thing of the 60”s, after scheduling programs started with resource allocation and use of lag to better model real life planning true Critical Path became a fallacy, even total float came to be a fallacy as an absolute measure of delay impact. At times it seems to me like the name CPM should be buried forever and a more appropriate name like Precedence should be used, this was proposed in the 70’s and no one paid attention believing everyone would embrace the new approach without others insisting for you to keep in the 60’s. It is the 2,000’s, come on move to the modern times.

Best regards,
Rafael

Mike Testro
Hi Mustapha

Here we go again.

You cannot have a true critical path when there are lead lag links between tasks.

Here are my basic rules for a proper bottom up plan.

1. One trade only per task
2. One work front only for that trade - no other trades allowed.
3. Finish - Start Links only.
4. Every task must have at least one outgoing link.
5. No task should be longer than 10 days.
6. No restraint flags.

Have a look at the earlier thread - Ban These Planning Abominations - where you will find that I won the debate.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Mustafa Yagcioglu
Hi Mike,

I can’t even imagine a work programme without lag/lead time if it is not a homework in an elementary planning course.

Your recommendation does not make sense. As engineers, we need to simplify the schedule not make it more complex. Adding meaningless detailed activities(that requires just time; no material, no labor etc.) in a serious programme will cost you not only the excess time to create and link them but also additional effort to follow them.

Adding an activity just for curing? You gotta be kidding. You need to stop going into detail at some point otherwise you end up with activities with durations of seconds! For what? Just to avoid lags? Or you can learn using lags wisely.

At last, lag/lead times are not luxury but a requirement for a planner.

Regards,

MY
Mike Testro
Hi Rafael

Its not rubbish software - its rubbish programmes produced by lazy planners.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rafael Davila
Yes Mike, providing lag, and even optional lag calendars makes Primavera Suretrak, Primavera P3, P3e, P4, P5, P6 …, Powerproject, Spider Project, Artemis, Open Plan, Pertmaster and a few other rubbish software.

Like a PP friend said, there are no absolutes; only appropriate and inappropriate choices.

We all know you are the perfect scheduler, will pay your pension.

Mike Testro
Hi Rafael

Thats fine by me - rubbish programmes create work for delay analysts.

Please continue and pay my pension.

Best regards

Mike Testro.
Rafael Davila
Will continue using lags when appropriate
Mike Testro
Hi Rafael

You are not succeeding in winding me up.

With a properly constructed Bottom Up programme lead lags are not needed.

Use of lead lags to set up task overlaps is the sign of a lazy planner.

They create a distortions on the critical path and are an abomination.

Stop using them NOW.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rafael Davila
Mike,

A Lag/Lead tie permits a scheduler to link activity relationships in a way that approximates the degree to which one activity must be finished before another can start or the degree to which an activity should precede another. Using only start to finish relationships in an attempt to model overlapping is cumbersome, hard to do, requiring excessive amount of activities to model the overlap using discrete activities, at times impossible. Real life is not simple, why complicate what already is complicated.

The assumption that all immediate preceding activities must be 100 percent complete is too restrictive for some situations found in practice. Lags are needed, that is why they are provided with all CPM software. At times laddering, the application of SS(L) and FF(L) between two activities is in order, to the extent some software such as Microplanner for the Macintosh had such a relationship predefined into their activity or relationship types, the details I cannot provide you as my Mac got to be buried very deep at a dumpsite.

On the other hand it is not a good practice to substitute an activity with a lag such as to model delivery time of a piece of equipment so that not only will the time be represented as an activity rather than a blank space but, in addition, the description of the activity will act as a reminder that little or no other work can proceed during that time.

Another appropriate use of lag is to get jumping those who do not like them as per my posting #2. I mentioned it on purpose as I believe many PP planners are in need of using lags and a few might get confused when confronted with the question of appropriate use of lag, others I am sure don’t pay attention.

I did not even dare to question the use of a different lag calendar, another option available in P6, a step further in the use of lags, provides more functionality than Powerproject toggle switch.

Best regards,
Rafael
Rafael Davila
I understand you very well, in this regard the functionality of P6 excels, let see if someone else give us the answer.

Now it is two of us who are looking for the answer.

It surprises me you are not having issues with double linking.

Mustafa Yagcioglu
Thak you Rafael, it is a nice trick but can only be used for 1-2 activities. However, I am gonna use this for huge amount of activities of which I have exported from P6. I need to set the program to use the predecessor activity calendar for lag time in order to keep dates same in original P6 schedule and MS Project.

Regards,
Mustafa
Rafael Davila
Mustafa,

I am new to MS Project, in my way to learn the software I get my nose everywhere. I have the following idea that might do the trick in case you do not find a direct way.

Between the predecessor and successor tasks insert a "dummy" task with 0 duration and then assign the calendar of the predecessor task to this new "dummy" task, now predecessor and successor share the same calendar, or even assign whichever calendar you wish.

In my attempt to do within MS Project what I am used to do with Primavera Suretrack I applied a similar approach to mimic linking a predecessor task twice to the same successor task with a ss and a ff link. Microplanner for the MAC used to call it "ladder activities", you culd do it at a single click of the mouse, good to make jumping those who do not like the idea.

Best regards,
Rafael

Mike Testro
Hi Both of You

Why are using lead lag links anyway.

If there is a reason why the successor has to wait for the predecessor - curing for instance - then put in an activity so that everyone can see what the reason is and assign the correct calendar to the activity - 24/7 for curing.

If there is no such reason then bring the lead lags to zero and create a true critical path.

By the way in powerproject the link takes the predecessor calendar which can be toggled to work or calendar days.

Best regards

Mike Testro