Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Month Calculations

4 replies [Last post]
Mark Chapman
User offline. Last seen 8 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Can someone tell me if MSP can calculate 3 months accurately? This is for TMA purposes.

I believe if you put "+3 mon" into a calculation, MSP will use what is defined in the calendar tab (options). In my case 20 days and that is wrong. So when I am using formula I am better off just saying 92 days and ignoring calendar calculations. Cheers, Mark

Replies

Mark Chapman
User offline. Last seen 8 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
cheers guys.

TMA = Traffic Management Act
Philip Kearney
User offline. Last seen 4 years 2 days ago. Offline
I agree with the below posters, Darren & Trevor.
Don’t complicate the schedule in trying to be smart as it usually gets smart back at you!

Are we talking 5 days or 7 day calenders?
If we are talking 7 day, then use "eday" for working weekends if you do not want to upset the 5 day calender but eday represents 24 hour working time! This is useful if you are measuring on work effort rather than cost as you would get away with "eday" work effort because eday would add to the cost!

Sometimes you got to manipulate the calenders a bit to suit the programme you want...however, if you are not sure, heed the advice at the start!

So use "hours" as time unit for work & "days" for durations for an efficient programme.
Darren Kosa
User offline. Last seen 7 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Mark,

I’d agree with Trevor. I never use Months, Weeks or Minutes as a Duration unit and very rarely use hours.

I do, however, use hours as the time unit for Work.

Regards,

Darren
Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline
What’s TMA?
You answered your own question. You are better off using Days as durations.