Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource Pool

3 replies [Last post]
Emmanuel Valentine
User offline. Last seen 11 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Guys

I have created a resource pool to be used by 5 different projects for but with additional fields for departments, teams, line managers etc which are not standard on MSP. Every time I copy the pool to another worksheet or share the resource pool with any of the projects. it only copies the MSP standard field such as names, groups, types etc.

How do I get all the fields on the resource pool to copy to all the other projects?

Thanks
EV

Replies

Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline
This is not a "conflict message", just a standard warning.
The Text2 field that you are bringing into the file has a restricted data value list and if the file you are bringing it into has the same field with data in it then that data will be lost.

Surely all the rest worked fine?
Emmanuel Valentine
User offline. Last seen 11 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Trevor

I tried it but it is not working, there was a conflict message "The value list data entry option is set to restrict the field to only those items in the list. This may invalidate some existing data in the "text2" field.

Am I doing it wrong.

EV
Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline
Easy.
Open the Resource Pool MSP file.
Open the MSP project file that will use the Resources from the Pool.
Use Tools, Organiser to select the Fields tab, and select for Resources rather than Tasks, and drop down the file list to select the Resource Pool file (which will be there if the file is open).
Then just copy the custom fields into the project file.

Repeat similar for other files.