Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Converting MSP into Primavera P6

14 replies [Last post]
ladi sodipo
User offline. Last seen 7 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
My company recently upgraded to Primavera P6, the current Schedule is in MSP format, Need help in converting the schedule into P6, aware that one can use project link in P6, but i don’t think it is available to me ’cus i downloaded P6 as a standalone not on a company server.

Replies

Kola Olaniyi
User offline. Last seen 9 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

how do i retain the same activity ids when i convert from MS Project into P6.

For example I have a schedule from a design consultant with Activity ID's starting from A1000 but when I import into P6, P6 renumbers the Activity ID to start from 2, 4, ......etc. Which means I have to maually re-enter the activity id from the consultant schedule.

Thank you in advance for your help and comments.

Nick Jackson
User offline. Last seen 11 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Not quite Bijaya

I have P6.7 and have recently had MSP 2007 installed. P6 recognises only XML or MPX for and MSP 2007 doesn't give you the option to export in either format. P6.7 does not recognise MPP files for some inexplicable reason, try to find that option in the pull-down!

All I can think is to export to a 2003 machine and try it there, what a fuss, funny how things that were once easy are now difficult, try explaining that to the boss who doesn't understand planning.

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Tom

P6.2 has an option for export in XML-format. You don’t need MSP installed on your pc as it was required for mpp-format.

For me MSP 2007 wasn’t an issue until now, so I never tested this format.

Regards

Dieter
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 27 weeks ago. Offline
Tom

Give me a call 04 1118 7701 and I can run you through the issues.

Regards
Paul E Harris
Tom Hadley
User offline. Last seen 40 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
hi

not sure if this is any help.My understanding is that P6 can only import/export MSP ver 2003 AND it seems to need this version of MSP residing on your system. if you only have ver 2007 P6 complains. It appears to open MSP in background.In fact sometimes P6 has a problem with the import and gives a message "Please close MSP" even though MSP is not open.

Not sure what you can do other than trying to get MSP version 2003 from some where. Of course neither Microsoft or Oracle want you, the poor old user to use the others products, they would rather that you stuck with theirs.
Which of course ignores the huge group of users who do use both.

By the way there has been and still appearsa to be problems with import/export between Ver 2007 and Ver 2003 of MSP any way. As usual Microsoft ignores these things until enough people complain.

Dave Rodwell
User offline. Last seen 9 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Paul,

I have a new requirement to import data from MSP into P6.2. Is MSP2003 still the required tool for this or have things moved on? Is MSP2003 still available even?

Regards

Dave
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 27 weeks ago. Offline
In my experience MSP 2007 disables the MSP import function in P5/6.

Remove MSP 2007 and install MSP2003.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Dragan Ilic
User offline. Last seen 2 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
So please confirm this 1st operation:

1. I have to install P6
2. I have to install MSP 2007
3. I want to save primavera files as mpp
4. Anybody can open in MSP our new mpp file from P6

2nd operation is:
1. I install MSP 2007
2. I install P6
3. I open file mpp in P6 and save it as new primavera file
4. I work in P6 and then got to 3 and 4 form 1st operation

As I see there is problem with sequence of installation P6 and MSP so I think this mail could sort it out.

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Ladi
I’m afraid, some items are mmixed up here.
Project link belongs to P5/P6. You can install it if you have MSP installed as well. After installation you’ll realize an additional tool-bar. With this tool - call from MSP - you can continue to plan projects in MSP but integrate them into Primavera structure:
- Use Primavera resources from MSP,
- Overall resource histograms will include these MSP-projects.
- Use common Primavera reports for both P5/P6 and for MSP managed projects.
- Integrate MSP projects into Primavera’s Enterprise Project Structure.
BUT: these projects remain MSP-projects.
A different item is the P6-import - call from P6. With this you’ll transfer MSP- to P6-projects.

Girish
I assume that you tried to access a P3 database, which will not work.
Girish Batolar
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
I tried it and it gives a problem saying that MS projects donot support Betrive fromat
Bijaya Bajracharya
User offline. Last seen 8 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
You don’t need any extra tool. P6 can directly import Microsoft Project files.

Just follow these step:
File/Import
Choose Microsoft Project (MPP, MPX, MPD, MDB, MPT)
Next