Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Filter in MSP

5 replies [Last post]
jatin mamman
User offline. Last seen 12 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

My query is regarding filters. I want to pull out all the activities that begin in a particular month. Now if a particular activity is continuing onto next month, then that activity should be shown only till the end of the month for which the filter is generated.

Let me put up an example:
Let’s say an activity begins on June 25th and ends on July 4th. So the duration is 10 days. Now the filter applied must show the duration till June 30th (duration only 6 days). Further more the percentage of planned work must be also shown in the similar ratio. Like from June 25th to July 4th, the planned works is 100%, so till June 30th the planned work is 60% only. Only this should be shown.

So can such a filter be created?
Can the Forum members please guide me in this matter.

Cheers

Jatin

Replies

jatin mamman
Thank you sir,

Seems my work wont cut out so easily,
Will have to take the longer route

Cheers
Jatin
Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
It’s not so easy to do this.

1. If the resource for the task is work ( not material) and the task has only one resource ( or has several resource, but you do not want to know the value for each resource) then you can try ’analyze timescaled date in excel’ It’s on the ’analysis’ tool bar. if you can not see it, right click on the tool bar,then check it.

Follow the instruction, then you will get a excel sheet. you can have planned work for every day(or week, month...) for each task.

2.if your resource is material or you have more than 1 resource for each task and want to have the value for each resource.
change to ’task usage’view, then use copy & paste to transfer all the data to excel, you will get a sheet with planned work for each resource and task

hope this helps
jatin mamman
hi

Ok, My problem is: For a particular Task - I want to know the Percentage of Works Planned in a particular month, I have the Quantity for the Task and the Rate, from which I will get the Amount.
So Getting the percentage of works planned for the required month will give me the exact Budgeted Amount for the particular month.

So can I use Filters to get the percentage of works planned for the required month and get the correct Budgeted Amount or is there a better way?

Cheers
Jatin
Zhang Haixiang
I mean you can not show part of a task.
You can scroll the timesacle,so you can alway see the end of the task, even the task last for years.
Zhang Haixiang
A filter only picks up those tasks meet certain Criteria then show them on the screen.

there are only two option show or not show.
Once the task is shown on screen, then you can access all information of this task e.g. finish date, % complete, resource, cost...
there’s nothing to do with % planned work.(no such a field in MSP)

So for your example, you want to show the activity or not?