Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

compare actual &plan

1 reply [Last post]
km moradi
User offline. Last seen 18 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
hi dear
please help me about this:
suppose you have a project that finished ,but you want to analyze it by compare planed start & finished date by actual start and finish date(as gantt chart).
i have some problem about it .
1-can you show me easy way for comparing it visually?
2-what ratio can specify effectiveness & efficiency of planning?
all the best
happy new year

Replies

Tomasz Wiatr
User offline. Last seen 2 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
HELLO KM,

If we want to compare schedules: planned vs actual we must to set in MSP other Gant Chart view from menu View/More views...Tracking Gantt (different table + chart). Other method is formatting the chart only with "Gantt Chart Wizard" (main effect is turning on the black line in bars or other lines). It is basic way but effects are related with range of changes in schedule. It is visulatisation of update effects in aspect of dates/durtions changes only!

If You want to monitor cummulative effects of all updates you can export data from Project to Excel - only if any resources are assigned to schedule, of course. If you are interested in synthetic ratio of progress You must to use Earned Value Method (EVM). EVM is powerfull method of measuring the progress of project (visualisation of it is other aspect of using the EVM). EVM topics exists in this discussion forum, of course.

good luck!

P.S. For using the advanced analysis of progress You need to have some data (specially in EVM) -> it is probably difficult to acquire after finishing the project (I have read about it in Your e-mail)! On this forum exists special topics. You have nice problem to study in new happy year :-)