Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Saving Layouts

4 replies [Last post]
Philip Richards
User offline. Last seen 15 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Can anyoune advise regarding the possibility of saving layouts in MS Project.

I normally use P3, but have reluctantly agreed to run our present project in MS Project (The customer uses it and our installation sub contractor)

In P3 it is possible to set up Headers, Columns, Filters, Bars, print from/to dates etc and save any number of layouts within the project. Is there anything similar in MS Project. At the moment I am spending a lot of time re adjusting all the settings when I need to do a print.

I also have a problem, that when I insert an activity between two existing activities which are linked, MS Project automatically re sets the links to run through the new activity. Can this be swithed off?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 20 weeks ago. Offline
I suggest you create a View, Table and Filter (if required) all with the same name and use them together and adjust them in the same way as one would adjust a Layout in P3.

Unfortunately MSP does not give you the option of saving changes to a View in the same way as P3 so any change to a View is written to the database as soon as it is made. You will find this very frustrating, like many other things in MSP after coming from P3.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Book Publishers, Training & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Raj Maurya
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Philip,
you can use different views to costomise the layout(As in P3. Follow Daya’s suggestion to create views as per your need.
Tony McClennon
User offline. Last seen 28 weeks 4 hours ago. Offline
Hi Phillip,

Ref your problem with tasks being linked automatically, use

Tools->Options->Schedule(Tab), then ensure that the option titled "Autolink inserted or moved tasks" is unchecked. This can then be set as your default.

Regards,

Tony

Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Philip,

I hope the following may help you:

1. Click View->More Views->New View or copy existing layout view and do some modifications to suit to your requirements.

2. Tools->Options->Calculation(Tab)->Set calculation mode to Manual(instead of Automatic)

Cheers!!!

Daya