Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

CPM

25 replies [Last post]
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
any one can help me to know what is the diffrence between the CPM , early starts, late finish dates calculations, between primavera and MS project

Replies

Luca Basile
User offline. Last seen 9 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
They must not produce different results.
Is like in the mathematics, when Youhave different method to solve a particular problem. You follow different algorithms, formulas, what else You want but the results must be same.
Here we are in the same situation.
For an end user point of view all this is hiden in the software algorithm, so we saw just the calendar dates that are maching between the two.

May be if You want to start any discussion could be on the best one to use from a "legal" point of view!
As One impose to start and the end of the previus shift, just one second before the end. The other method the start is at the beginning of the next shift.
So in the first You can say I am ready to start, but we arrived at the end of the working shift, so the work can not start. But this is pure philosophy.

PS I noticed before this difference reading different books and attending to different seminar, but I never thought we can say are two different methods as the different look like formal one. A formality that on a pc algorithms, as per Ronald statement, oblige to have two different algorithms.
I do not want enter in the discussion on out-of-sequence, multiple calendar, etc. But I like to consider them as not real added feature, just like constrain to the problem. Like in a mathematical problem, You have Your system of equation (linear, non linear, etc …) and then the boundary condition to the system.
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
    ... The two different methods produce differnt work days for the same activity. This is a significant difference.

As your article states in the last sentence, "Each method produces the same calendar dates ...". The end results of the base 0 or base 1 method are identical. It is really just a matter of commuting the offset at different points in the calculation. IMO, this is a non-issue.

... out-of-sequence progress, multiple calendars, lag calendars, interruptible activities, status date considerations, etc. These are not ’added features;’ ...

I guess it all depends upon where you draw the line in what is included in the critical path method definition. I would classify progress handling and status date considerations as applying to the structure of the schedule and logic network, not to the calculation method itself (ie. those are application differences, not CPM differences IMO). I agree that the handling of interruptable activities and multiple calendars are part of the CPM calculation engine.

Has anyone developed a schedule in both systems with identical relationships and calendars (no resource leveling) and produced different results?

Ron, your implied suggestion that those who offer a difference of opinion do not understand these concepts is wrong, condescending and inappropriate IMO.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems - eTaskMaker Project Planning Software
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
The point of the article is that the two different methods are currently being taught as the only method to calculate a CPM. The two different methods produce differnt work days for the same activity. This is a significant difference.

As I said most clearly, the referenced article still does not address other issues such as how to handle out-of-sequence progress, multiple calendars, lag calendars, interruptible activities, status date considerations, etc. These are not ’added features;’ they drive to the core of the agrument of being able to use the CPM for analysis. Most experianced P3 users understand this.

I will work on developing the rest further. I am not the only person in the world who understands these concepts. This is not a secret science. I would appreciate a little help here. It is time for someone else to step up to the plate.
Bernard Ertl
Thanks for pointing out your article Ron. It appears that while your paper is describing two different methods, they are mathematically equivalent - the result of a base 0 or base 1 approach for anyone familiar with programming.

You state in your article that both methods achieve the same result. I think it reinforces what Vladimir has been saying. The core CPM calculations are the same. The difference(s?) lies in how the extra features are handled.

Bernard Ertl
Ronald Winter
I have prepared copies of my reviews of this matter as published in the AACEi’s journal, Cost Engineering and placed them on my website at www.RonWinterConsulting.com/published.htm. The article that directly describes the two methods in use is called, How to Befuddle a College Professor (without Really Trying). The other AACEi article is the textbook review that introduced me to this particular issue of CPM calculations.

The above referenced article still does not address other issues such as how to handle out-of-sequence progress, multiple calendars, lag calendars, interruptible activities, status date considerations, etc.; but it is a start. I suppose that when I next speak at the Primavera User’s Meeting, the AACEi local, regional, or international meetings, or at the PMI College of Scheduling international meeting, perhaps I should consider this topic.
Ronald,
thank you for your advise.

Best Regards,
Vladimir Liberzon, PMP
founder of Moscow PMI Chapter
Presenter at PMI annual conferences in 1994, 1996, 1998, 1999,
Presenter at PMI European congresses in 2000, 2001, 2003,
Presenter at IPMA congresses at 1996, 2003,
Presenter at regional PM conferences in Russia, Portugal, Australia, Israel,
Member of PMI team developing Practical Standard for scheduling.
Ronald Winter
The articles appear to not be public any more. Professionals still have to make a living and that often than means not angering your support base. I will work on compiling my own list but even I have to make a living. I cannot do for you in a couple of lines of text that has taken me years to learn.

These sorts of things are discussed in detail at various professional meetings. Perhaps you should consider getting more involved with organizations such as the AACEi, PMI, Primavera User Conventions, etc. A profession requires professional participation, not just an check of the chat boards.

Good luck!

Ron Winter.
Luca Basile
really reading their post I thought that there were different algorithms, not that the MsP one have some bugs.
In any case Ron (or Paul) I am still waiting Your link to Bernard aritcles. Thanks
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi there.

It seems Ron and Alex have not established very clearly that the CPM algorithm in MS Project is somewhat incorrect that’s why this thread is starting to create a word war and namecalling as far as Vladimir is concerned. I believe this is not a case of selling one software but an issue raised that an algorithm is quite incorrect. Let’s try to establish facts here not trying to outsmart each other by namecalling and doubting the intent of those trying to make a point.

I am not for or against somebody here, I just want to put the level of discussion on an "agreeable disagreement".

If indeed Microsoft is selling a product which does not conform to an established science, i.e. CPM, I think we need to point this out to Microsoft and disseminate such an information to our fellow planners. If this is so, this is a misrepresentation by an established company. If not, let us not malign the company or any company for that matter here.

Romel
Luca Basile
I am laso interested to know where they are as like Bernard I was not able to find them in Paul web page.
Also about Acea is a cost engineering site!
I did not saw nothing about planning, can please give a direct link to the mentioned articles?
It would be highly appreciated.
Thanks
Luca
Bernard Ertl
Ron (or Paul), could you point me to one of the papers you referred to on Paul’s site discussing the differences in the CPM calculations? I only found book abstracts for each system (and they did not appear to analyze differences between systems).

Bernard Ertl
Alex,
I have thought that we discussed CPM calculations. And in this thread CPM calculation in MS Project was compared with the CPM calculations in other software (in your postings too). Why you have nothing against mentioning P3 in this thread?
Is blaming of others in sales intentions your last argument to support your “opinion”?
Best Regards,
Vladimir Liberzon, PMP
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Ronald,

Totally agree with your point of view. And it seem we have a sales person in the discussion. I am not against new software but this forum is to disucss MICROSOFT PROJECT DISCUSSION and that’s what we discuss. If others would like to discuss spider sw. It’s welcome to open a new thread.
Ronald,
why do you think that everybody should know MS Project and Primavera scheduling algorithms? These packages are not that popular in Russia as in your country. Is it a must thing? I did not tell that you know nothing because you don’t know Spider Project.
And I repeat my request for an example of the project whose CPM schedule is different when calculated using different PM software.
And I repeat that CPM calculating is the most simple part of scheduling (unlike resource constrained scheduling) and any PM software should produce the same result.
And one more remark - in the real life all schedules are resource and/or cost constrained.
Thank you for your references,
Vladimir Liberzon, PMP
Ronald Winter
Your faith is founded on the popularity of your software, on the fact that this issue is too easy to do wrong, and you have never noticed any differences? This DOES sound like a lot of faith is involved.

Paul Harris has done extensive research and has published many fine books and papers on the differences in the approach that MSP and P3 take to calculation the CPM. His website is at www.eh.com.au.

I have published a paper about their being two distinctly different methods for CPM calculation in use today in the October 2003 edition of Cost Engineering, the Journal of the Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering (AACE) International. Their website is located at www.aacei.org. Anyone who is serious about professional scheduling should be a member of AACEi.

Lastly, forget about your bells and whistles. If you are not well grounded in the basics of CPM theory, then resource and cost leveling and all of the extra add-ons might help with sales but this won’t make your product any better. If you do not fully understand the differences in how MSP calculates a CPM schedule versus how P3 does, then you do not know enough about CPM. Good luck.

Ron Winter.
My faith has very simple explanation. I am an architect of Spider Project - most powerful professional PM software package that is extremely popular in Russia and other CIS countries. This software includes powerful optimization algorithms for resource (and financing, and supply) constrained scheduling. It calculates RCP (Resource Critical Path) since 1992. You may know RCP by the name of Critical Chain "invented" in 1997, it calculates resource constrained floats. Of course it also calculates classical Critical Path and CPM schedule. I know that calculating schedules ignoring resource, supply and financing restrictiona is the easiest part of scheduling. I just could not believe that other PM software vendors may have troubles with it. I have never seen projects whose CPM schedules produced by different software were different. I would like to see an example.
But I do know that MS Project and Primavera have poor resource constrained scheduling capabilities. And resource constrained scheduling is not easy at all.
Ronald Winter
Where does this FAITH in the purity of CPM come from? Has Microsoft ever published the exact procedures that it uses in MSP to calculate the CPM? Has Primavera? The answer is “No,’ they have never published how they compute the CPM using multiple calendars and out-of-sequence progress. Forget the constraints and resources; that is another issue entirely. I am just talking about plain old CPM, but with normal statusing conditions found every day on any project.

Is it because that you were taught only one way to calculate the CPM that you believe that there can be no other way? Would you be surprised to learn that two different methods are being taught today, sometimes in the same university at the same time? So I ask again, since you are arguing not from facts but from faith, why do you believe this fallacy so strongly?

Ron Winter.
Alex,
I don’t think so. Calculation of the critical path without taking into considerations resource restrictions is pure and simple mathematics. If you will find the difference please send me an example. My E-mail: spider@mail.cnt.ru. MS Project produces poor resource constrained schedules but I can’t believe that they have problems with the easy CPM calculations.
Luca Basile
Last post I will put in this discussion.
I am with Vladimir and Alex point of view, the theory is the same, but different mathematical engine and different constrains at the problem.
As is a simple linear mathematical problem (system of equations) more and more with the increase number of activities. So the two engine can use different solution methods (first possibility of differences), different precision ... etc ...

One more point, when the CPM bring life the only relationship was possible to use were the finish-start one.
After the method were extended and different kind of relationship were developed or allowed (Metra Potential Method).

Alex Wong
Take out all the external factor except relationship between activity. With exact same conditions Resrouce , calenda relationship ... MSP and P3 sometime produce a different date becasue of the scheduling engine formulated differently. And P3 will give a much accurate data. Hope this will help to stop people keep refering to different condition like resource calenda progress ...
With the same set of relationships in the CPM network both packages (and other packages as well) will produce the same CPM schedule if resources are not restricted. It is pure and easy mathematics.
If there are resource constraints project schedules may be different because all packages use different heuristics.
Alex Wong
Luca

I agree with Ronald, MSP sometime calculated wrong CMP not because of status or calenda but the no. of schedule passes. Forward and backward. Since MSP did not allow multi relationship between activity and it’s scheduling function is not as accurate I do believe P3 have advantage over MSP in term of scheduling a complex schedule. For 10-100 activities agree MSP is easy to use but not for anything over 100 activities
Luca Basile
I am not 100% agree with Your statement "The CPM algorithm used by MSP is NOT the same as used by P3. Only a superficial comparison will show otherwise", as also after few line You come to my side.
The theory set up years ago is the same based on the forward and backward steps, but the package has different boundaries option, like as you write about the resource calendar and lag, and the relationship limitation of MSP, etc.

While I am agree with Your statement "MSP computes progressed activities differently than P3"
This is one of the main reason if I am using it is just in the early stages for presentation purpose, after I do all using P3.

I assume that the main question was if they use the same theory and I still convinced yes, but after all the boundary condition that the two packages allow You to set are are different and this is giving the difference in the scheduling.

Agree that with small schedule the difference can be not appreciable but with huge one you start to have "discrepancies". All the two are good and incorrect in the same time.
With is the degree of confidence of Your constrains, durations, etc ...
Ronald Winter
The CPM algorithm used by MSP is NOT the same as used by P3. Only a superficial comparison will show otherwise.

To begin with, MSP computes progressed activities differently than P3. MSP does not recognize the data date (or status date) unless you turn on the option (and even then it only works on activities added after you made the change.) Only in unstatused schedules will the two appear similar.

MSP uses a different calendar for relationship lags than does P3. Any lag will be computed differently in MSP from P3.

MSP does not allow more than one relationship between the same two activities (P3 does and this feature is used a lot.)

The list of differences is long and some are quite subtle.

Ron Winter
Luca Basile
The CPM theory is the same for both software.
Forward and backward pass are giving Your Early date (first) and late one (second) with floats.
The differences You can have time by time can be due to different calendar set up.
I try a simple example (taking care to have all the boundary consdition set the same) and I had the same results, as should be.
I am agree, more over, it can be a computational error due to the engine, as both use a mathematical engine to solve all the equations. So the difference can come from this as well as You are using different precision in the two package.
But if You do a simple example by hand, with Project, P3, P3e or Artemis and so on, the results must be the same.