Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Welcome to Malaysia Discussion

42 replies [Last post]
Kow June Boon
User offline. Last seen 13 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Welcome to the discussion forum of Malaysia.
You are welcome to discuss anything related to Malaysia.

Replies

Vikram Bhat
User offline. Last seen 13 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

Hi all, I am a Senior Planner based in Abu Dhabi and have completed 10 yrs in the Middle East. We here use Primavera V 7.0 and are also migrating to V 8.0 very soon.

I am quite keen to know the Malaysian scenario for Planners with respect to jobs.

Feedback anyone?

Vikram Bhat
User offline. Last seen 13 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

Hi all, I am a Senior Planner based in Abu Dhabi and have completed 10 yrs in the Middle East. We here use Primavera V 7.0 and are also migrating to V 8.0 very soon.

I am quite keen to know the Malaysian scenario for Planners with respect to jobs.

Feedback anyone?

Hi Yazeer, yes it has totally improved thanks to James Williams (the founder) determination and great to see the guild taking off and trying to formally professionalise our profession. After last weeks SPUG event I see a growing interest in P6 within Sarawak and we will be facilitating these events more regularly from now on. Thanks for joining and contributing to a very successful event.

Phil 

MOHD BASIRON

Hi all,

I'am a new user for MS Project.

(1) I created the custom column for calculate the weightage based on duration of each activities.

(2) When updating the task, i calculate the % completion based on quantity achieved vs. total quantity. The % complete will then be multiply by the weightage created.

Example:

Activity A = 60 days

Activity B = 30 days

Activity C = 10 days

Total duration = 60+30+10 = 100 days

Weighatge A = 60/100 = 0.6

Weightage B = 30/100 = 0.3

Weightage C = 10/100 = 0.1

Total weightage = 0.6+0.3+0.1 = 1.0

Progress Update;

Activity A = 100m3/200m3 = 50% x weightage = 50% x 0.6 = 0.3

Activity B = 50m / 150m = 33% x weightage = 33% x 0.3 = 0.1

Activity C = 10 nos / 40 nos = 25% x weightage = 25% x 0.1 = 0.025

Total progress = 0.3+0.1+0.025 = 0.425%

I need some opinion and advice whether the process i update the progress correct or not?

Thank you.

Yazeer Sivori Ser...
User offline. Last seen 48 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Yey... Thanks Phil for reminding me on this site.

Was Yellow-Banner, Comic-Sans webpage, now  the site really grows, and probably take me some time to navigate... whoosh...

Yazeer S Seranna

Mohammad Irfan Ah...
User offline. Last seen 10 years 29 weeks ago. Offline

You currently using Stand Alone or Server?

Michael Nelson
User offline. Last seen 13 years 45 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Syam,

There are annual gathering organised by the local PARs for Primavera users in Malaysia.

http://www.ebs.net.my/events.html

Cheers

mohd asri

hi all,

registered long long time ago... but now i start seriously in planning... using P6 are very headache, patience.... but when my P6 unable to connect to database, i throw my lappy... hhahahaa.

Anybody have the same problem ? P6 cant connect to database ?

Maxim1981 Borukho...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

All greetings... Russian schedulers to you are not required...?

syam yahya
User offline. Last seen 5 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

Hai Malaysia Planners

Good to have our group live and kicking. I just read thru the discussion and it is good but we can improve by having few technical discussion and i think phil palmer is more than happy to be the Sifu. Also may be year end get together is another option. Years ago when Artemis is around they normal have User Conference where all planners get together presenting papers and exchange idea.

Tq 

vex zex
User offline. Last seen 13 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Please email me details for that vacancy @ nbi_v82@yahoo.com
Mohammad Irfan Ah...
Which Organization you working for?

Contract or Permanent Position?
A Rahim Muhammad
User offline. Last seen 14 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
hello all

our organization is looking for:
1. Senior Planner
2. Asst Planners

for our job site at KLIA, sepang

Those interested kindly submit your cv to rahimmohd82@yahoo.com

thanks
Mohammad Irfan Ah...
Phil;

H to hear something from you again. You still give a Primavera Training with EBS?
Nagandran VN Sin...
can u email to me regarding the senior planner vacancies at

snagandran@hotmaidl.com.

thanks
Leroy Wee
User offline. Last seen 14 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Hi guys,

I’m looking for Senior Planners with around 8 - 12 years experience. Oil & Gas - Offshore Projects.

I’ve got a couple of jobs running with some of my clients.
Work location to be based in KL.
Hi there Malaysian PP’s,

Looks like I am the first for 2010 to continue this thread so and hope this year is great for all of us.

I am based in Kuching, Sarawak and Planning Engineers are scarce here. More and more companies are now using P6 and so the requirement for good Planners is growing and by good I mean experienced in project controls not just in using a the tool.

If any of you guys are in Kuching anytime please give a me shout and would like to catch up for a coffee and talk about project controls.

Phil
haslan abdrahim
User offline. Last seen 10 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
is this thread still alive?
Nagandran VN Sin...
Yong Marzanah,
Your comment for the planners for not being notified all the time is correct. Througout my career, even now, I have encountered such moments in many events and occasion. Planners are placed at high level when PM needs some figures for the sake of management. When it is done, we are left out and not even noticed in a restaurant.

But, I have eliminated that totally in my career nowadays. I have vanished the conservative method of planning career. Where instead of chasing project team to get progress, make them vise-versa. Corner them such a way that, they cant move without us. This is my secret at this moment.

Planners, the other side of the world are far advanced? Is that you are thinking...I would say no!!! may be on paper work they are but in practicality still far behind campared to planners around our region...
Yong Maznah Moham...
User offline. Last seen 10 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Do jobs for planner still wide availabe out there? Some of my freinds who involved with construction of factories started looking for new job, coz some of construction stop right now, due to slow economy growth in sudden.

I totally aggreed with Othman. Base on my experience, planners like a right-hand to the project manager, we a lke an advisor. But it depends on the project manager or company management it self. In Malaysia, planners still struggling to be notified, unless you work in high profile company or very2 important project. The usage of p3 or p4 or p5 or p6 or microsoft project is crucial in construction, production and manufacturing in giving info/advise for project success.

But,still far to go. Do you all know, from my point of view, we still have a lot to learn n catch to compete planners out there, around the world. They are quite advanced!
Nagandran VN Sin...
Hei guys,
What not try and down load your CV at www.jobsthanks.com for free.

Thanks
JobsThanks.com
Othman Mohamed
User offline. Last seen 11 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
YEP, same here.. With the turning of the New Year, wish that it’ll be a good one for you all especially for me.. hehehehe

Nickie Lau
User offline. Last seen 10 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia, TILOS
i guess you are right... some PMs just won’t listen to you, but there are some good ones out there too...

taking the opportunity to wish all fellow malaysians (and all of you that drop in to read too), happy new year!
Othman Mohamed
Actually, that’s a typical response to Project Control. Right now, in my Company (my employer’s Company that is.. hehehehe), Project Control controls CTR (Cost, Time and Resource) aspect for Project.

Technically, if follow the procedure, we’re the right hand man to the Project Manager .. nowdays, the trend to make us independent similar to HSE and QA/QC. That’s the correct approach.. But not sure if that’s will be implemented or not..

So, before PM (Project Manager) say anything, he/she should look for Project Control’s recommendation. That in theory. In real life, since some of the PMs are coming from bottom, this is quite difficult..

Experience Construction Manager does not always has the flair to become a Project Manager. They need to go through training first. Bit hard for them to absorb this concept but that’s true..

Nickie Lau
othman, you have some really good advise. thank you for your posts, as it obviously opened my eyes to a lot of things.

i often find myself lost in my work place. people don’t seem to appreciate things that i do. they often regarded my team as trouble makers. they often come up with comments like "why do you care what we do in between? as long as i finish my tasks at the completion date, that’s good enough!"
Othman Mohamed
Correct, which version will be called through Contract requirement. In previous response, I’ve told that these GCC areas are still on v3.1 (mostly). So, if you’re version 5 or later trained, you may need to readjust your methodology..
Izam Zakaria
User offline. Last seen 7 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
hei hei please bear in ur mind...its depend on client requirement. Sometime they might request you to produce the schedule in P6 format....auspicious if u familiar with all planning softwares...and right now we’ve P7......
Othman Mohamed
I’ve seen some companies uses P3 just for presenting the bar chart or Gantt chart. No resources/cost control options utilised for the project.

To use P3 effectively, a consistent or uniform dictionary to be first developed by the called planner or one who can decide. Not just "caca-merba" or laisse affair approach to solve the problem. Just don’t use ad-hoc code naming to suit the work. Give some thought into it. Reusable codes will be very helpful. I remember there was once an article on Primavera Newsletter showing how it was done in one of the project in USA. Not bad..

Planner to be taught basic project control/management principles first without being tied to specific tool/programme. PMI does have some good technical background to this subject.
Shaiful Nizam Osman
Hi all,

How about your progress this week? Small progress achieve is better than nothing..haha

Regarding to forum reply from Othman, I agree that almost of construction company (building, oil&gas etc.) are using P3 as a planning tool. Some of them has been upgrade to P6 and I found 1 big name company in oil&gas still using MS Project. Well, may be they have their own reason why using P3, upgrade to P6 or still using MS Project.

For beginner planner like me, P6 is more user friendly and easy to operate. How about you?

Happy New Year 2009 to all Malaysian Planner!!
Othman Mohamed
Not really, nowdays most of the disciplines are heading this way. Since CTR factor (cost/time/resource) is very important. Resources are getting scarce and expensive, this is the most prudent way to attack and solve the problem.

Without you realising too, we also perform some basic project control functions in our daily life. Strange but it’s true..

As complexity of the project increases, the need for some or miticulous project control function is a must. We only have one shot at the problem.. that’s the best approach.
Nickie Lau
i guess the planning/project control is pretty rare at least in the contruction world, i think things are better in oil&gas...
Othman Mohamed
That’s good to see some Malaysian contents here.. How’s the scenario in work opportunities for Project Control disciplines nowdays in Malaysia?

Which control programme are you guys /gals used nowdays? Hey, Primavera v3.1 still kicking and alive in Middle East and Africa. No many using the later version of P3.

So, if you’re not well versed in v3.1, brush-up your skills especially the post v3.1 breds (v4, v5 or v6). Things that you take for granted in your trained version may not work in the famous v3.1. Hahahahaa...

Yes! My maiden response on Planning Planet.. at last..
Izam Zakaria
osman.....well well well small oil gas world.....that guy "shamsul" trifle famous isn’t it?
Nickie Lau
hehe, cnetg, sounds pretty familiar, i think i was contacted by one of your recruiters before...

nice to see the malaysian thread having some life!!!
Shaiful Nizam Osman
surayati,
what is detail requirement for all the position that you stated before? especially for site planner.

izam, i guess you also know shamsul basri is it?
Surayati Zaki
Yeap...i am a friend of Esther Wong. We are currently working on this Site Planner post, with Primavera. So difficult to look for one. Same as for other positions I have mentioned before. Any Idea?
Izam Zakaria
CNETG? so you are esther wong friend isn’t it? hi all... if there u have any problem with primavera software... I can be contacted via aizam.zakaria@sbmoffshore.com....with pleasure I will do my best....
Surayati Zaki
Hye all,

Actually, I am currently working on few positions for my Client - Power Generation, European Company. Currently I am urgently looking for Site Planner (with Pramavera). There is opportunity for oversea site posting, yet to be identified.

At the same time I have:

1. Project Controller
2. Cost Controller
3. Project Construction & Commissioning Manager

Feel free to contact me at surayati.zaki@cnetg.com
Zulfahmi Malik
User offline. Last seen 10 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Hye Guys!!!...

Nickie Lau
hey all!!!
Shaiful Nizam Osman
Hi all,

I never see any Malaysian planner involve in the discussion.
Actually I’m a new here. Hopefully this website will give me some support in term of scheduling, monitoring etc.
Kow June Boon
This is confidential message.