Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Planning/Scheduling Dictionary

15 replies [Last post]
Sen Moc
User offline. Last seen 18 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
How about having a feature in PP showing the list of abbreviation/terms used in planning and scheduling, just like the “Prod-Rate”, for easy access and reference?

Just a suggestion.

Replies

Gary France
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
The PEO has published an on-line Glossary of Terms for planners and schedulers. This has been created specifically for what we do – it deliberately doesn’t cover general PM terms.

This can be found at PEO Glossary of Terms

Gary
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
I think anybody who uses an abbreviation or other terminology they have thought up, should explain themselves concisely and if such terminology is accepted shall be placed in the the dictionary, unless preceded by previous terminolgy. ie ITAS is a company in Italy, not I think Australia stinks, which in normal terms is correct, but ITAS has the first choice on the registered name.
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Charlie,

I understand what you are getting at, but until the PP Dictionary tool is in place, why not make use of what is already available? PP members could also use these sources as a prompt for terms which they want included in the PP Dictionary.

Chris Oggham
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Hi PP peers,

I think its better to start with words used in PP and to continue to populate the dictionary meaningful to PP.

I see no point in importing planning words not relevance to PP.

Cheers,

Charlie
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Mario,

You picked a good one there, I use it quite a bit, there are a couple of others I have found useful as well,

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/ppm/index.cfm?fuseaction=glossary.list&SiteID=3

http://www.welcom.com/content.cfm?page=136

Chris Oggham
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 9 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Mario

Good interpret ion of Planning/ Scheduling terms of your recommendation web site.

May be effectively used
Mario Sanvitale
User offline. Last seen 12 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Or you could try using Max Wideman’s online planning dictionary

http://maxwideman.com/pmglossary/index.htm
Sen Moc
User offline. Last seen 18 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Hi, guys and PP Admin. Thanks for your support on this suggested new feature in PP.

As suggested, this feature should be like the “Prod-rate” where members can contribute to post words, abbreviations or terms used in Planning/Scheduling and they can post also the corresponding definition, meaning, description or link to topics in PP thread discussions. If the contributor doesn’t know the meaning, he can still post so that other members can provide the definition or links.

Cheers!!
Shahzad Munawar
PP Admin:

Thanks for acknowledgement of this issue
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
These are good ideas. Sopme of the guys here are already working on facilitating this kind of issue.

Why dont some of us PPers start collecting these terms and explanations together so that we can populate the dictionary accordingly once it is available.

Great idea!

PP Admin.
Shahzad Munawar
Good idea.

Should be implemented to facilitate the members
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
User offline. Last seen 13 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
I hope PP admin can response....
MARTIN EMMANUEL RAJ
User offline. Last seen 13 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
A good idea. I accept it.

martin
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
User offline. Last seen 13 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
agree with your suggestion..
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Sen,

I like your idea.

Maybe we can have a thread for planning/scheduling dictionary. All PP members can contribute to the development of the dictionary. PP Admin can sort out the entry in alphabetical order.

Maybe no need to place the name of the contributor since the word is not originally from the contributor. In some cases, maybe if the planning word is really an invention or originally comes from the contributor then, only then at the same time maybe, we can post the name of the contributor.

As a start, project duration - the length of time the to start and finish the project, geneerally in calendar days.

Cheers,

charlie