Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Multiple PPids

17 replies [Last post]
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I found some planning planet members are having multiple PPids(through multiple registration by knowingly or unkowingly??) for example PPids 2471/4286 belong to same person. Likewise 2290/3420, 179/4463 etc., which means the PPids will not give true number of persons registered in this site, am i right?

will the development team can control and re-structure the PPids?.

Regards

Daya

Replies

Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Hi PPers, thanks for the ’heads-up’ on this. We will tidy things up.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Dear Shahzad,

Have you noticed that they’d created multiple ids with the same names?.

Regards

Daya
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 9 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
HI mkste

I totally disagree with this "My guess, the duplication is not due to forget password" actually the planners get multiple ID to collect information by hiding their names on this web site.

mkste: forgetting password criteria will perhaps be applicable on rare cases but you cannot apply on each planners. Actually the people get this multiple ID to hide their names.
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 4 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
It’s a shortcut to meet the requirement.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Dear MKTSE,

Your thinking of accessing full range of productivity rate area by creating multiple PPids is interesting one.

Regards

Daya
MK TSE
My guess, the duplication is not due to forget password, may be PPid or the most critical one is you cannot access more production rate information until more referal.
The simple way is refer ourselves.
MK TSE
Just share my experience.
I have registered PlanningPlanet long time ago but seldem read the content. Several months later, I do some research work and remember PlanningPlanet may help. Then the problem is "what is my PPid?" If my harddisk doesn’t break down, I have that register email. The only solution is duplicate the register.
Then I do some search in membership area to check my previous PPid and ask Moderator to delete the new created one.

Later, my friend join PlanningPlanet also but he haven’t signed up any email account successfully, I shared mine with he. Several days later, Moderator reminder me duplicate register? (I think the check is my email address) Lucky, my friend solve his email account problem.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Dear Alex,

If we forgot our password, definitely they will send the password to the email address provided during registration. Hence retrieval of password is not a big problem unless the person forgot his email address password too and so on......

However you are correct, this is not a paid services site, so these kind of things can’t be avoided. Anyhow if PP Development team has some free time, they can just list some multiple id holders and send an email to them in order to notify PP development team for removal of their redundant ids or non-using ids. Is this sound good?.

Regards

Daya
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Unless Planning Planet want to become a fee paying organisation you will have the problem one way or the other. It is not worth the effort the check whether someone is having a multiple ID or not. Just like hotmail, everyone can have as many as possible e-mail with hotmail. to administrate the registation, the cost is far too higher than the benefit.

If we (Planner) do want a true organisation like IEEE or PMI then I agree to have someone full time doing the administration task otherwise, self regulate. And I guess if someone abuse the system one of us will pickup and let the aministrator know. Remember, sometime you change company from time to time and if you forgot your password then you have to start a new account... the possibility just go on. So I agree with the current setting in regards to the PPIDs

Cheers

Alex
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
[duplicate post deleted by Moderator]
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Sorry Bernard, i don’t have such a service in the camp where i am staying now.
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Do you have internet service from your home? Most internet service providers offer personal e-mail addresses for their customers and this could also be used.

The problem with just using first and last names is that anyone who wants to register multiple accounts can just make up names. Also, folks with common name combinations may find they cannot register if someone else with the same name has already registered.

Requiring valid (and non-anonymous) e-mail addresses is the simplest security measure available IMO.

IMO, the Forum Guest account has been abused too much as of late and is indicative of the problems with allowing people to post anonymously (whether through that account or with easy to register fake/multiple member accounts).

Is there another solution to the problem that does not require extra costs/infrastructure on the part of the PP?

Are there a lot of members who do not have access to non-free e-mail accounts?

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems - eTaskMaker Project Planning Software
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Dear Bernard,

Your idea is ok, but what will happen if someone like me doesn’t have company email id?. I had a company email id as dayanidhi.dhandapany@hbpjv.com.tw when i was working in Taiwan (Probably you might have been remembering me), but due to successful completion of C250 Contract, i had to find another job and now i’m working in libya. The present company has not yet introduced company email id to their staff. What can i do?.

hence the onlyway is checking Firstname/Lastname combination in order to restrict multiple registrations since many of their first/last name are the same, but having multiple ids. Also if possible we can follow Vishwas suggestions.

Regards

Daya
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
One way to help limit this problem is to require all registrations to sign up with unique business e-mail addresses. Anonymous e-mail services (yahoo, hotbot, gmail, etc.) should not be allowed.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems - eTaskMaker Project Planning Software
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Hello Vishwas,

Your suggestions seem to be ok, duplicate entries are quiet high .............(I don’t want to specifiy in which region) hence I feel PPDevelopment team should take necessary actions on this issue.

Regards

daya
Vishwas Bindigana...
User offline. Last seen 23 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Checks of these kind can only be done on a paid web-site. It is very difficult to keep a tab on duplication on a free web-site like ours, especially when the membership is growing exponentially.

My suggestion would be as follows -

1. Creation of zones world wide.
2. Each zone to have a certain number of moderators assigned to the zone.
3. Each PP-member to be assigned a zone.
4. The nearest or the zonal moderator to check the authenticity of the members’ personal details.

This is a simple "DIVIDE & RULE" or "MICRO PLANNING" procedure that, as planning engineers, we are well versed in!

What do you guys think?

Vishwas
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 9 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Planning Planet administration should be avoided/checked duplicate allotment of PPID to one person