Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Why "Fragnet"

3 replies [Last post]
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 27 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Good Morning Analysts

I dislike the term "Fragnet" used by some analysts to describe a series of events inserted into a barchart to represent delaying events.

Why Fragnet - is it supposed to a connection of "Fragmented Network"? If so then why so?

I suspect that the term is meant to make the analysts art even darker - in which case it should be banned.

I agree that the process is sound which is why I place the delaying events into a Sub-Chart - even a Judge can understand that plain English.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Replies

Anders Axelson
User offline. Last seen 3 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Mike,

It's (originally) a US term, meaning fragment of a network. I believe it was first used in the 1960s or thereabouts, in the context of using hand-drawn networks to present extension of time claims (this was after CPM had been invented but before PCs). It is cumbersome to reproduce a network fully by hand, so only the relevant fragment of it would be reproduced in presenting EOT claims. Change could be mapped by hand by superimposing a fragnet on a network using tracing paper, or using a red pen, or something like that. The term 'fragnet' I believe entered the public domain when an analysis technique employing fragnets was cited with approval in a US Federal Board of Contract Appeals case (don't ask me which one) in the late 1960s or early 1970s. With that judicial approval the term became more widely adopted.

I wouldn't read too much into Primavera's use of the term, from the 1980s onwards. The Primavera developers, I imagine, decided to add a new feature so that users could save only a part or section of a project. They would have used the term "fragnet", I guess, because it was a sexier sounding buzzword than "part" or "section".

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 27 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Alexandre

Thanks for the explanation - It is as I suspected - a primavera addition to planning language.

More proof - if it is needed - that they are taking over the world of planning.

Best regards

Mike Testro