Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Best practice Delay Demonstration in (P6)

8 replies [Last post]
Aidan Kelly
User offline. Last seen 12 years 10 weeks ago. Offline

Hello All,

As this is my 1st posting on PP website I apologise in advance if this question is a repeat of previous posts. I have read quite alot of threads but did not come across one that covered this topic. Not saying it does not exist somehwere.

My question is not so much one of methodology (TIA, As-built vs As-planned etc) but simply of procedure and a fundamental one at that.

When inputting a delay event in a programme (p6) what is the best process? I.e creating a unique bar representing the delay itself linking it to the affected activties or adjusting the start/finish dates of those activties as per the duration of the delay itself and then explain witihin the narrative the impact on the CP etc. are there any other processes for doing this and is it method related?

Obvisouly from my question I am a newcomer to the craft!

Any input is appreciated.

Regards

Aidan

Replies

Aidan Kelly

Thanks Mike

This makes things clearer.

Also Chris i got the AACEI document  you suggested above, tough read but worth it.

Thnanks agin for the tips.

Aidan

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Aidan

The usual method is to insert a dumkmy activity that represents the duration of the delay event and link it to the affected task(s).

The delay event duration is from the day the event first raised its head to the earliest date that the affected task could have started.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Aidan Kelly

Hi Amit

An example of the delays would be underground obstructions not known at tender and that did not show up during pre-excavation scanning. These obstructions subsequently required halting excavation then supporting the pipe/cable etc and this delayed the entire trenching process.

The client is not accepting that we did not know about the obstructions but their tender drawings did not show them.

Aidan

Aidan Kelly

Thanks Chris

I'll check into these.

Aidan

Chris Croft
User offline. Last seen 6 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Aidan

There are two very good references you should examine, the first is by the society of construction law in the UK.  http://www.eotprotocol.com/ and the Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering.

Recommended Practice No. 29R-03 Forensic Schedule Analysis;

Neither are an easy read but well worth the effort.

Hope this helps

Chris

Chris Croft
User offline. Last seen 6 years 23 weeks ago. Offline

Aidan

There are two very good references you should examine, the first is by the society of construction law in the UK.  http://www.eotprotocol.com/ and the Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering.

Recommended Practice No. 29R-03 Forensic Schedule Analysis;

Neither are an easy read but well worth the effort.

Hope this helps

Chris

AMIT KUMAR
User offline. Last seen 11 years 1 week ago. Offline

Hi Aidan,

The impacted delay causes how to reperesent in programme???Can you post any sample,please?????

Regards

Amit Kumar

Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 36 weeks 2 hours ago. Offline

Hi  Aidan Kelly

The methods may vary but the concept is to determine the potential delay event/ fragnet which justified duration associated with it and it has to be impacted on the reference program used for claim presentation

Cheer's

Shahul