Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Aligning Planned and Actual Costs on Current Programme

1 reply [Last post]
tipperary
User offline. Last seen 13 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I am in the process of marking up progress on my "current programme", I have a "baseline" sitting as a seperate file. I merge the information using an excel proforma my company has. Each month I export the "baseline" figures and the "current programme" figures to the excel file to generate baseline EV curve, actual EV curve and forecast EV for each month.

Problem is, almost every month I have the difficulty on the "current programme", when I mark up progress,  the figures to the left of the progress line do not align match up(No Stacking Option). The planned line on the graph of Cost vs Progress S Curve and the actual line on the graph figures do not match up. I need to move cost bars around etc.. How can I get these cost bars to match up without going through a mammoth task. Clearly I am screwing things up as this should be a straight forward task, but it keeps causing me problems.

The skew in these figures is making it difficult to give the correct forecast figure to the right of the progress line.

The main comparison is done on an external spreadsheet when I compare the figures from the baseline to the figures from my current programme but my forcasts are really difficult to produce without all the pain of moving cost bars about, finding some unprogressed cost bars even though the tasks have been progressed etc.

Any good rules or methods to get these to line up?

Thanks

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Hi Tipp

You are in the classic trap where the pre set spreadsheet data does not align with the bar chart data.

The simple solution is to require anyone who is enering data on a spreadsheet to make sure it is aligned with your programme.

So set up a series of excell templates with all your programme tasks on the left column and all the data that you need to be added in columns to the right.

It may help if you set up a "task" filter before you copy paste to excell.

Then be assertive - you need the data in this format - TELL THEM otherwise no deal.

You can then copy paste the data directly into the spreadsheet side of your programme.

Good luck and more power.

Best regards

Mike Testro.