Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource allocation in Schedule delay Analysis

2 replies [Last post]
daniel morais
User offline. Last seen 5 days 9 hours ago. Offline

Hi friends,

I'm writing a paper for present to AACE for gain elegibility to make a CCP (Certified Cost Professional) exam. Into the many subjects one of arise my curiosity is schedule delay analysis. But I would like write about schedule delay analysis using Resource allocation, i.e., RCP (Resource Critical Path). My questions is because many and many papers, courses, examples and so on that we have about schedule delay analysis only take into account the CPM and never RCP (even everyone agreeing that schedule with resource allocation is much more reliable), why this happen? Maybe the calculus of the TF is misleading after RCP calculus ? In your opinion, is possible make analyse schedule delay analysis using RCP?

Best Regards,

Daniel Crisóstomo

Replies

Marcus Possi
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 17 hours ago. Offline

Raphael and Daniel - Two angels :)

When it comes to schedule delay analyzis, it is common to think that this may be due to the complexity of contracts in a project or problems generated by and in several joint contracts that affect a larger contract. The critical path method (CPM) is often used to represent an action plan, with a previously defined and agreed baseline, making it easy to analyze. However, the concept of Resource Critical Path (RCP) is more modern and was developed to deal with resource crises: financial, material, and labor. Given this, there are doubts about whether forensic analysis using the RCP scheduling method is appropriate and efficient.

To continue this debate, we could include a rule in contracts that requires schedules presented by participants to include the main and relevant resources shared among all projects or exclusively supplied by the main contractor. This would allow us to analyze the impacts caused by the limitation of these resources on delivery dates, simultaneous use, or interdependence of the projects involved.

Otherwise, we would be analyzing the internal problems of each contractor, which are exclusively their responsibility, instead of evaluating the consequences of their incomplete or undelivered productions, which could cause harm to the entire project. It is important to ensure that the analysis is focused on the impacts and consequences of schedule delays, rather than internal contractor problems.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 7 hours 28 min ago. Offline

When Delay Practice prescribe cookbook procedures and makes no mention about duty to mitigate and how to account for it they are flawed.

What is your duty to mitigate in a construction claim?