Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Total Delay

3 replies [Last post]
Tanveer Ahmad Niazi
User offline. Last seen 6 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar

Hi Planners

I want to share an interview question that was asked to friend of mine in an interview and he answered that wrong but the interviewer explained him the correct answer. The question was:

If an activity is delayed by 4 days on February 28 how much would be the total delay on March 31?

He answered 35 days.

The interviewer said no; it could be more than 50 days. If test of the longest activity in the month of February fails and we have to redo that then the duration of redoing that activity would the actual delay. And that could be even more then 50 days.

Cheers

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi All

This is a completely nonsensical question.

It requires a number of suplemental questions before an answer can be attempted such as:

0.  Is the start or the end of the task affected - or is itmidway through a partially complete task?

1.  Is the 4 days delay a single event that has ended or is it a rolling event that is continuing after 28th Feb.

2.  If rolling when will it end?

3.  How much total float is on the activity?

4.  Are there any resource implications that may cause further delay?

5.  Are there any up coming calendar breaks that the delay may straddle?

6.  What software is involved?

7.  Are there any constraints that affect the critical path?

8.  What level of detail is the programme set at - if 3 or above then no answer is possible.

You would get more than a 1000 different answers with the above variances.

Another response would be to say to the interviwer "Where did you study planning? Because if I were you I would consider suing the University."

Best regards

Mike Testro

Rockzy Sales
User offline. Last seen 13 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

the question is like asking me to quantify materials without a drawing and no specifications...

well... I think the interviewer will always be right... hehehe..coz he knows what he was talking about and what ever is the situation going on in his mind... :-)

for that kind of question without the necessary details... how can we even get 35 days? or even 50? based on what?

;-) just my thought

cheers,

the Rock

Anbin Ponnith
User offline. Last seen 8 years 17 weeks ago. Offline

Hai Tanveer

i Am not Sure Abt 50days .

I will Also Say him 35days  based upon the following point

1. That all the Out of Sequence Activity are brought to Sequence .

2. Considering that Activity is in Progress , Type  Task dependent , Percentage Complete As Physical, Duartion type As Fixed Duration& Units/ Time i will Adjust the Remaining Duration 

I am  also Expecting Answer From others Also

Regards

Anbin