Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Optimism builds on construction salaries in Gulf

5 replies [Last post]
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 33 weeks ago. Offline

Angela Giuffrida

Last Updated: May 02. 2010 9:20PM UAE / May 2. 2010 5:20PM GMT Construction professionals hit by the downturn in the building industry may be encouraged by the forecast that salaries in Saudi Arabia and Qatar are expected to rise.

The cost of hiring staff for construction projects is expected to rise 15 per cent between June this year and the end of next year, according to figures from EC Harris, the UK construction consultancy.

A number of UAE firms have ventured into Qatar and Saudi Arabia, the strongest construction markets in the GCC, to capitalise on a pipeline of big projects mainly backed by government cash.

But with limited availability of skilled labour in both countries to meet project demands, companies will have to pay higher salaries to attract staff.

“It is anticipated that demand and workload will increase towards the back end of 2010, with inflation, overheads and labour costs increasing in line with this,” said Simon Light, a partner at EC Harris.

“In addition, due to only a small number of contractors being established and eligible to operate in Qatar and Saudi Arabia, overhead and profit margins are also expected to rise between 1.5 and 2.5 per cent higher than the UAE as workload increases.”

Salary levels for expatriates working in property and construction fell by about 30 per cent across the GCC between September 2008 and the end of last year, according to data from APG Global, a recruitment agency based in Australia.

The average monthly salary for a project manager in Saudi Arabia or Qatar is now about Dh40,000 (US$10,890) compared with Dh55,000 at the peak in September 2008. In Dubai, salary rates among western expatriates soared between 2006 and 2008 as companies paid above-market rates or offered twice-yearly raises to keep staff in the construction boom.

“You’re not going to see the kind of salaries you saw in Dubai two or three years ago … levels are more realistic now,” said Gregor Black, a managing partner at Dunedin Recruitment in Dubai.

“But as construction in Dubai remains depressed, there’s still a lot of people who have to work and will move to Qatar or Saudi Arabia. It’s not an option right now to return home to places like the UK.”

Al Shafar General Contracting is looking for projects in Saudi Arabia, where strong population growth has fuelled demand for new homes and the government is heavily investing in infrastructure projects.

Salary levels are similar to the UAE and living costs are cheaper, but you need to compensate people for being in Saudi,” said Bishoy Azmy, the chief executive of Al Shafar.

Mr Light added that overall construction costs in Saudi Arabia will reach a “sustainable” pace by the end of next year, while costs in Qatar could reach levels last seen in 2007, when prices surged by 50 per cent because of a reliance on imported building materials.

Article:
http://www.linkedin.com/news?viewArticle=&articleID=126353484&gid=76674&...

Replies

R. Catalan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Samer,

Thank you and wish you the same as well.

Best regards,
R. Catalan
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear R. Catalan,

Sorry about the name mix up. It will not be repeated.

Wishing you success and prosperity.

With kind regards,

Samer
R. Catalan
Dear Samer,

It is inimitable that our industry is link to many challenges and personal issues is not far to it. I somewhat sickened when some team members prefer to keep off in mending other related departmental issues specially if their contributions become the solution. But to us as we cover the PM concepts to its extent this is becoming a threat to project success.

I agree with you that keeping a positive outlook and focusing in making it happen is the lead to follow.

BTW, my first name is not Ravi. I will be happy if you just address me as R. Catalan in PP.

Best regards,
R. Catalan

Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Ravi,

I understand what you are saying because I worked in KSA for 6 years. I can assure you that it is the best place to work IMHO because you get experience in running the largest projects on earth. (Depending on what where you work of course)

It is part of the challenge and you have to adapt. I agree that you have to spend time to develop friendship and my advice is to put your opponents on your team. Let them be part of your team and give them challenges to complete. Spend you time with concentrating on the positive side of the experience and making it happen.

With kind regards,

Samer
R. Catalan
Samer,

People from other GCC cities will find it difficult adapting to cultures in Saudi Arabia, unless if someone is currently biting the dust.

But better than returning to your home country I guess.

Best regards,
R. Catalan