Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Made up jobs

8 replies [Last post]
Martyn Coates
User offline. Last seen 5 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
I dont know if anyone else is realy getting bothered at present by agents calling them up but the recruitment agencies are getting desparate at the moment.

There adding fake jobs on the net to then ring you up (after you applied) and ask for 2 references so they can call the contacts up for any potential jobs.

This is not on. there all at it as well.
Soon as the market is good they wouldnt ever ask for a reference.
Are they all totally brainless? I feel there are way too many agents around.

Replies

Thomas Brown
User offline. Last seen 6 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I would agree with what Richard has written.

One positive aspect of the current downturn is that recruitment consultants may have survived or even thrived during the boom years through the use of various ’cowboy’ tactics are now exiting the industry in droves - clients now have a choice of provider, and simply will not deal with them. Good riddance to a rotten few who have given the rest of the barrel a bad name!

Peter Casson
User offline. Last seen 9 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Steve,
I’ve sent you a PM
Pete
Richard Evans
User offline. Last seen 10 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
That is a strange one - I have no idea why someone would need to see employment ceritificates/salary letters, etc?

As mentioned previously, if anyone needs any advice/help (i.e. got themselves into a tricky situation) then I believe most of you have my contact details to discuss (work related only please!!).
Scarllet Pimpernel
User offline. Last seen 13 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
I experienced the same, giving reference

and much worse!!

I have to submit employment certificates from previous employers and for those that I don’t have,

I submitted letter of salary increase due to dedication to work or salary certificate that was issued for some loan applications.

Due to the financial crisis, I underbid my salary: meaning I’m willing to negotiate for less, the most important,

I have a job to feed my family.

Thank you,
Scarlett
Steve Burrows
User offline. Last seen 11 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Richard,

Nice to hear from a decent agent for a change.
As you say some recruiters get tarred with the same brush, but anyone that has been in the construction game a while should be able to see through the scams. As you say in the present climate jobs are getting pushed around thus Candiates and Agents get the bad news, hopefully things will improve and we can all start making money again.

Steve
Richard Evans
User offline. Last seen 10 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Martyn,

As a recruiter myself, I would avoid giving any references unless they actually have an interview for you. The only case in which we would ask for a reference would be if you have a history of "job hopping" in permanent employment or numerous short term contract assignments, in which case most clients would ask us to verify why (i.e. to ensure not been sacked from multiple firms). I think we will all agree that there are some individuals out there calling themselves "Planners", when they are anything but.

I am advising all of my candidates to keep interviews to themselves as there seem to be alot of generic agencies trying to dabble in planning.

I have also heard that story about construction news awards, etc, but I would suggest that the "cowboy" company that permits such activity, has probably been swept away in the current climate.

The one problem that we are facing are general delays on many roles - to paint you a picture, I have been promised guaranteed interview dates on several positions in London twice over the last 10 days only to see those deadlines constantly broken by clients. Constantly letting down candidates is not something I particularly enjoy.

The only advice that I can give is to deal only with the agencies that you trust. Having been in this industry for over 5 years now, I can tell you that the majority of these agencies will have given up on planning/project controls in 6 months.

Just thought I’d give it from a recruiter’s perspective as we often get tarred with the same brush.
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Martyn

Thats not the only scam that agencies get up to.

One going the rounds recently was an agent phones the HR department pretending to be from a construction magazine saying they are putting together a shorlist for Planner of the Year and can they suggest any one likely to get any votes.

A head hunt phone call follows.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 10 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
martin

get used to it, I had it a couple of days ago, there all doing it. and when there is a job hundreds of people apply

brad