Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Functions of Planning Engineer in Consulting Firms

6 replies [Last post]
D Artagnan
User offline. Last seen 2 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
I would like to know the detailed functions of a planning engineer in a consulting firm. I am working now in a contractor and I had an offer from a consulting firm. Can someone elaborate it for me please? I only have 5 years experience in construction industry, will that suffice to start on as planning engineer in a consulting firm?

Replies

Scarllet Pimpernel
User offline. Last seen 13 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
That is the greatest mistakes for planning engineer in consulting firm.

they end up:

Copy and paste planning engineer, e.g. copy the contractor plans and print and ...

sent to the client ...

for the client to analyze and evaluate.

Eventually, the planning engineer of the consulting firm becomes a Fedex, UPS, DHL.

It is really a shame.

Thank you,
Scarlett
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Lawrence,

That might be the case, if the job seeker was working for a large organization and he/she was fresh intern. The jobs would be divided into smaller task and each person would be responsible for few tasks.

On the other hand, if you are working for a smaller firm then you need to do much more, for the simple reason that there is no one else to do it. Usually it would be a senior and a junior team completing all the work incoming and outgoing from the company.

It is always job dependent. The large the job, the more complex it gets and the more work you have to do. I think that you already know that, but just sharing.

With kind regards,

Samer
Lawrence Cuozzo
User offline. Last seen 12 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Samer,

You mean I have to do all that? I thought I just had to take a P6 course, load the Contractor’s schedule into my computer, press a button to print out repeorts and I’d be finished! I have to do analysis too?

Of course I’m just joking, but you’d be surprised at all of the scheduling candidates I have interviewed over the years that thought that was all there was to scheduling. I remember asking one job-seeker "What kind of analysis do you do once you have the Contractor’s schedule?" He replied: "Oh I don’t do analysis, I just print out reports"
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Ashraf,

You also have to do the following:

1. Attend the kick off meeting.
2. Participate in the Planning efforts for the project.
3. Do the complete reporting to the client; daily, weekly and monthly.
4. Calculate the actual production rates at site.
5. Highlight the weaknesses at site
6. Verify all the submitted reports by the Contractors
7. Maintain a Master Schedule for the client.
8. Prepare prsentations quarterly.
9. Include all changes to the scope and variation work requested by the Client or the Contractor.
10. Participate in the closing out of the project.

With kind regards,

Samer
ashraf alawady
User offline. Last seen 9 years 52 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

the detailed functions of a planning engineer in a consulting firm:-
review the sumitted programs from the contractors and give comments/consent.
review the sumitted up date weekly prgress reports and give comments/consent.
Monitor the progress and give advise to the contractor for the required corrective actions-if required.
review the sumitted claim from the contractors for EOT and give comments/consent and recommendations.
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Adrianne,

If you read the following thread, it might be able to answer your question:

http://www.planningplanet.com/forum/forum_post.asp?fid=1&Cat=5&Top=60576

With kind regards,

Samer