Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Jr Scheduler/Planner turned PM

2 replies [Last post]
Anson RW
User offline. Last seen 15 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
I just started a new position a few months ago and would like some feedback on the best way to keep it afloat.

I have no formal education. As a matter of fact all of my background in project services has been working on 20mm - 100mm projects on the downstream side of the petro-chem construction industry. Its all been sink or swim experiences.

In the past 3 years I have been building small "maintenance style" P3 schedules (with almost no variables such as cost and resources just spitting out bar charts for critical areas), tracking earned value, coordinating/estimating EWO’s, RFI’s, helping field supervision manage workloads, etc. Prior to that I was in field supervision (<1 yr) and before that a pipe fitter (>5 yrs).

That’s it.

I have had some lucky breaks, I have worked extra hard, and I have been around some excellent people on some extraordinary projects.

I get laid off due to lack of work and while looking for a Jr. scheduler position I get an offer as a project manager/coordinator by a small company to contract to a not so small chemical manufacturer.

This time projects are from concept all the way through execution and my hands are in all of it.

I feel great about it. It has gone well so far. No complaints from anyone. But I feel as though I am a little out of my league and slow. I am doing all I can but am a little paranoid that something is just going to go wrong and that if I get cut my next job will not be as well paid and I will end up taking a blow in position.

What is the best way to keep this gig going even beyond this company? How do I continue to excel?

Should I pursue PMI credentials? I don’t meet any of the requirements as of yet. I may never meet the scheduler requirements at this job.

Should I bother going to taking PM classes at the local college? They are expensive and most PMs I know have never taken any of those classes?

Should I ride the tide of uncertainty and just take what is handed to me as is? I’m just saying if I have to go off and look for a new job what should be my new standard? Probably not a jr. level scheduler, right?

Just some things I am trying to work out. Maybe someone on this board is dealing with or has dealt with a similar situation. Maybe someone has some questions for me and I can help you. I believe I have an exceptional situation. Aside from some pseudo-paranoid concerns, I have done (and am doing) quite well. LOL!

Thanks.

Replies

Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Anson,

Oliver has got it spot on. From what you said in your post, it looks as if your education has been in the school of practical experience. It’s a good way to learn if you can stand up to the knocks, grinds and general attrition.

Believe me, feeling a bit out of your league and paranoid is about par for the course for project managers (I speak from experience). Try not to let it get to you, as Oliver pointed out, people will be quick to tell you when things go wrong.

From the information in your post, you seem to be keeping on top of things and enjoying the experience. The only advice I can give is keep on enjoying it, because people who enjoy what they’re doing tend to try harder to be good at it.

Chris Oggham
Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Anson,

There is always someone worse than you at your job and that person will believe themself to be better than you, will apply for higher level jobs than yours and will earn more money than you.
I believe this to be true of whatever job, in whatever industry and consequently this is why you should always apply for a job that you’d like and not one that you’ve already got.
Now you have the opportunity you need to adjust your mental attitude to a positive one and remove any paranoia. As a PM nobody will tell your doing great, but they will quickly point out you when your failing.
i.e If nobody is complaining, everything is ok.