Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

salary expectation

5 replies [Last post]
Jose Ramirez
User offline. Last seen 12 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Guys,

So let me ask a few questions here regarding salary expectation:

1) Pay Scale for a Planner/Scheduler with 3-5 yrs. Of Exp., 5-7 yrs of Exp., 7-10 yrs of Exp. [Working in Angola, Africa]

2) What is better to be a full time employee working for a foreign company in a foreign country or a consultant working with a 2 years contract in a foreign country with a foreign company?

3) I am a US National

4) What would be the least amount of money u guys would take: This is what i am offer at this time the see below!
A). Per Day (equal to 307 USD or 179.79 GBP)
B). Per year (80,000 USD or 46,824.94 GBP)
C). I was thinking of asking for 70,221.94GBP But even this even seems a bit low to be stranded in
a country with very extreme conditions such as the
poor and rich divide (which makes the very basic
creature comforts we are so used to very expensive.
My neighbor’s friend is a private pilot who fly the President of Angola around. He told me that a bag of baby
dippers are like a 110 USDs.
D). Even the cost of getting internet would be huge to get satellite internet.
E). This seems more like clerk position, i have been reading your comments on salaries! lol

Kind Regards...Jose

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Jose

Please - I had no intention of quenching your wanderlust.

Working overseas is a great way to see the world and bring in big bucks - just make sure you have the right employer and the right contract and the right location.

I worked overseas for more than 10 years and only regretted the Nigeria escapade - which was the first one.

But then I picked up some of my best long enduring freindships from expats I met there.

The best posting was the 4 years I spent in Baghdad with Saddie Baby in charge.

There is a rule that the harder the posting the better the expat community. You have to stick together to survive.

My time in Tokyo was the loneliest.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Jose Ramirez
Hey Mike,

Thank you for your comment. It’s a great one! I currently have a job with Intel. It pays less but it’s a bit closer to my own bed and my wolf doggie. I better let them know that i am no longer interested in that position.

Thanks again Mike and all for the advice...

Jose
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Jose

Why bother with Angola - Particularly if it is a local employer and not an International outfit.

I spent 18 months in Nigeria with a local firm and it was a disaster - mind you the expat craic was brilliant.

Better go to the gulf where the conditions are better and the pay is just as good for an experienced planner.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Jose Ramirez
My neighbor an Ex-Navy guy, who works gov. contracts said to me "I should take no less than 600 usd per day". That’s for his line of work which is base on security/gov. stuff. Our is def. different and requires a college degree.

So you think 500 GBP/852 USD per day is a good starting point. I am going to reply to their email since in the beginning of my talks with them, I had no idea what it was like in Angola. I just told them some random number like 80,000.

I should have research this a bit more before i had emailed that number (80,000).

Please, guys i would like to make a decision soon. So, please let me know your ideas about this topic ... thanks again, JOSE....
A. F.
User offline. Last seen 8 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
they are taking the piss.

For a hardship role like that you want to be looking at £500/day plus flights, accomodation etc.

Some employers are so bloody tight. You have to look after number one.