Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

project site or head office planner

7 replies [Last post]
Num Lock
User offline. Last seen 11 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Hi guys, which is more preferable for a new planner but with 5 years of site/office works experience?

1. Project site planner / site-based - monitoring and updating P3 schedule and preparation of weekly and monthly reports. Once, you know the steps, it’s repetitive but you’ll have site experience as a planner.

2. Head office planner - consolidation of project sites data, claims, variations, extension of time. I’ll be directly reporting to our division planning manager who can easily promote me but I’ll have no actual experience as a site planner.

Replies

Hilal Hallani
User offline. Last seen 12 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar

Hello,

Site work is more favourable for young engineers who are new to the industry. They can't get the experience or knowledge by being in the office, they need to get out onsite and learn the fundamentals of construction.

Senior engineers who are required to have the knowledge and experience of being onsite are more favourable to be office based.

Regards

mukunda y
User offline. Last seen 10 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Of course,

Site exp as a site planner is must for anyone who whats bright carrer, Site activities knowledge, material knowlwdg is must,

Mukunda

Jose Frade
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

Site planner is suitable to start.

Office planner can be quite frustrating if you do not have the necessary experience to be able to read the small letters between the lines (figure).

Summary

Site gives you the field knoledge but in case you do not have the necessary background to start can be a short job.

Office gives you the overview of the complete project from Proposal to handover to client which is no doubt a very good challenge.

BR

JMFrade

taimoor alam
User offline. Last seen 8 years 43 weeks ago. Offline

i would prefer site

Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Num Lock,

For new planners, it is preferable to be site based because a lot of basic and practical construction activities will be observed at site. This is also served as a training ground for future career advancement considering that exposure to site activities will give actual knowledge of what is going on at site, how to analyze and solve problems in a proactive and dynamic way the daily planning and scheduling issues and it will be a testing ground for an individual leadership abilities.

Head office basically is for higher management level with considerable years of experienced.

Cheers
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

I believe that you said the answer in your question :)
You will need to get the site experience and the know how. And apply what you learn at site to the next level at the office.

I also recommend that you have an excellent communication with the head office to learn what they need from site. Develop the right steps in building the programs and updating it.

Cheers.

Samer
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

For me, I prefer to be assigned as Site Planner. It is more interesting and challenging works. Your exposure is not only in Planning but also in execution & a lot more.