Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Junior/Assistant P3e Planner

6 replies [Last post]
Ash Redmond
User offline. Last seen 16 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Does anybody know of any companies who are looking to recruit a junior/assistant planner. I have recently attended the P3e course and would like to break into the planning world! Can anybody be of assistance??

Thanks in advance

Ash

Replies

James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 16 weeks ago. Offline
What Dieter and Andrew say is the same in my experience.

I got the job I have with no Petrochem exp and no fulltime planning exp. I had, however, been ni the building trade (as PM / P-coord) for over 10 years and so was able to sell to them on the basis that I know how construction jobs are run and do know something about planning, even if only from doing it as a part of my job rather than full time.

The main selling point though was that they couldn’t get anyone with more direct exp. They had my CV for 4 moths before they called, I’m sure they were holding out to get someone who fitted the mould better, but when they couldn’t, well, they stretched the mould to fit.

I have just been appointed a "Junior planner" who had in fact applied for an E&I engineer’s position. They told him "we don’t need any E&I engineers, ever fancied being a planner?".

Work out what you can bring to the position.

- Construction experience. Building is building is building, I don’t care what anyone says.
- Software skills. Ability with Access is a good one to have for P3, and one that often impresses because so few people actually use it. Knowledge of VBA is another
- Language skills (planning is 70% communication)
- Demonstrate a track record of flexibility and ability to learn (a cheesy one but can be made to work for you, if you are honestly good)

above all be patient. Of course a company would prefer to hire someone experienced who can "hit the ground running", and they will spend time looking to fill the role that way. When they can’t find someone (and increasingly, they can’t) your phone will start to ring.
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Down here in OZ, the shortage of planners has grown quite large over the last few years and companies are starting to realise that they have to develop planners from within, or hire Juniors.

It seems to be working quite well, and the wages for a junior are about 50 to 80% of what an experienced planner can get.

The other thing too, is that as a result of the shortage, the wages are climbing across the board too.

Andy
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ash
Member of a recruiting company means to be at the source for good jobs. Very frankly spoken: In the current situation it is not a matter being junior, but what you sell to employers. To hire a junior is an investment: People will have to invest working time, trainings.. So your focus may be: If you invest in me you’ll get back! What is your business’ education? In Germany many companies have trainee programs for people just after their professional degree - it should be the same in UK. In the recruiting agency should be an expert to support you with your cv - especially show what you have, not what you don’t have.
Good luck
Dieter
Ash Redmond
User offline. Last seen 16 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Gents,

Firstly thanks for your reply, it is more than appreciated. I have banded my CV around to many companies/agencies including the one i work for at present but have had no joy.

The problem seems to be experience; no-body seems to be looking for junior planners they are looking for experienced planners who can ’hit the ground running’ so to speak.

I feel that its more who you know and not what you know when lacking in experience. Frustrating times but ill keep plugging away.....

Thanks again for the reply

Ash
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Ash,

Oliver is right on the money, planners are in very short supply. Take a look at the Jobs Page, here on Planning Planet, be objective about your knowledge and experience, and if you find something, then go for it.

Don’t just confine yourself to Planning Planet, check your trade press for planning jobs, get your name down with the recruitment agencies. If you really want to, you can do it.

Chris Oggham
Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
I’ve never really heard of an assistant planner before.

What background do you have?

There is such a shortage of planners at the moment that if you have an Engineering,IT,pharm background an agency might hook you up.