Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Levels and Roles of Planners

13 replies [Last post]
Jerome Atkin
User offline. Last seen 4 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am having a problem with my employer over here in Dubai.
I am under an English contract, when I was in the U.K; I made them put me as a “planning engineer” not a “senior planning engineer” as I though they were not offering enough money for the role on my contract. (I was a senior planner in the U.K for them)
They did this and I am now in Dubai.

I have a problem with them now as they have sold me into a job as a “senior forensic planner”
Of course when the employer found out I was not (I’m not lying to anyone) they said they will train me up !! So a real senior forensic planner at work is training me.
But I am not being paid any extra money.
I know my company are billing me out above that of a “Planning engineer” in fact they are making well over 100% profit on my services.
They are billing me out either as a senior planning engineer or forensic planning engineer.
When I confronted them about this they said, “what we bill you out for and call you is our business”
Under my new role as “senior forensic planner” (the job’s title not what i would call myself) I have had to buy books ( which are not cheap) learn in my own time to be able to understand the type of analysis we are under taking and to ensure my package of work does not slip… this step from planning to forensic planning is no easy one !!! Surly I should be paid for my trouble as they are gaining from me being at work.

So the questions is:
1) Can they do this ?
2) Should I be paid more ?
3) What should I do ?
I like the job; but am well underpaid for the role I am doing. I don’t see why I should have to work my tits off for them to be the ones gaining. As per contract i am a "Planning Engineer"
I work for a consultancy firm with a two year contract in Dubai.

Your thoughts please !!!

Replies

Jerome Atkin
I would say so.
Have a nice day.

Gerome
Bill Joshaf
User offline. Last seen 14 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Are u well mannered???????
Jerome Atkin
It’s call manners !!!
Some people have them.........
Bill Joshaf
User offline. Last seen 14 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Donot need to thank to Clive as he did not say anything extraordinary.

Jerome Atkin
Thank you Clive.
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
My advice is grab the opportunity to learn how to be a forensic planner.
As Brad said it is a new and relatively well paid role. If you are working under a good senior forensic planner take the opportunity to learn all you can.
However I would be inclined to ask your employer to pay for the books and see if he will go some way to agreeing a bonus or increment say after the first year.
The reality of employment is that they will allow exploitation. You seem happy with Dubai but not what you perceive is sharp practice, so be it, but equally get something out of it yourself then go back with a stronger hand, if you dont get what you want leave and try your luck with these new skills.
Richard Spedding
User offline. Last seen 5 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Its really quite simple - if you’ve been out of UK for more than a year - go to your employer and tell hime that if you do not get recognition in your pay packet of the work you are now doing, you will be on the plane back home forthwith.

If your employer is making so much money he will give in and give you an increase. If not then either get another job in UAE - I can give you a contact who is crying out for decent planners - or come home and sign up for a part-timee contract law degree and become a forensic planner.

You will then be able earn so much money you won’t have to go back to UAE.
Andrew Pearce
User offline. Last seen 1 year 36 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Gerome,
Not sure if I understand your position.
Are you employed by a UK contractor or consultancy.
If so you should have a job description that details your role and responsibilities. If you are being asked to do work out side the remit of your job description then in thoery you are entitled to a review of your terms of employment (SALARY!). In practice UK employment law does not do much to protect an employee unless he has been employed for over 2 years.

If you have been employed by a recruitment agency who have sub contracted you to a client then you will have less protection.

In either case are you being asked to do work that is different to that envisaged when you signed the contract.
Jerome Atkin
I know about the laws in UAE. I am also reading them as to see if I can get them on this!
I will post a comment through the gulf news though !
But the fact is I have signed an English contract.
Am I right in saying that I will be dealt with under English law, even though I am in Dubai ?
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Best way, is to consult a ADVOCATE in Dubai for these matters. Law will definitely be there against these kind of exploitations.

Working as a Forensic Planner, consultants charge $$$$ - equal to a PM’s salary.
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
HI Gerome,

OF course there is a law here in UAE for this kind of issues.

Pity you dont know what you are into.

Just cite as per UAE labour law, whatever is there.

You can also send your situation to Friday News edition of Gulf News. The person is very good to advise you of your predicament.

The fundamental here is expolitation.

You should be earning more since the position called for more money, maybe around AED very hard to stipulate.

Just wetting your apetite.

Cheers,

Joseph
Jerome Atkin
Brad,
Thanks for your comments they are most welcomed.
But I do understand that what commission the agency / consultancy put on our heads is not our business.
If I accepted a “Role” for $$$$ then as long as I am doing that “Role” then I have nothing to complain about. I have made an agreement and I will stick to it.
But when the company expect you to stretch yourself and throw you in the deep end with the sharks for no extra money… that is another story !
Especially when they are charging you out at major $$$$

Does anyone know if there is any law on this ?
Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 10 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Gerome

I a contractor, you are being exploited, i get pissed off when i find out what agencies are charging, if it is any more than 15% then they are robbing me, but your situation is even worse, If i was you i would threaten to resign unless you get paid what you think you are worth, forensic planning seems to be a new niche market, i have seen salaries of £100k for very experienced forensic planners, so you can imagine what this consultancy are charging for you,

regards

brad