Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Planners, is it worth moving to QS Works for US$$$?

23 replies [Last post]
R. Catalan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi PP’ers,

If I remember it right, there’s a thread here where someone has suggested for a career change to a QS/CA job for better pay.

Is it worth leaving? Do you think you’ll love doing QS/CA works instead of planning & scheduling?

What’s your point of view?

Burley

Replies

marwan ibrahim
User offline. Last seen 15 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
I love planning.
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 27 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi All

There is a link between planning and playing the piano.

The immortal Eric Morcambe once said to Andre Previn about Eric’s dreadful piano rendition of Greigs piano concerto "I am playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order"

Best regards

Mike Testro
Qiu Wei
User offline. Last seen 14 years 1 day ago. Offline
there is no way for me to give up my planning skills
Richard Spedding
User offline. Last seen 5 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
I think everyone would give an Ode to Joy if Clive could play Fur Elise fur Charlie!
Carmen Arape
User offline. Last seen 7 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Charlie,

Yes it is my mantra with more statements in the same style.

I share your wish on working together. Being you now on the Dark side (Project manager side -got this comment from “conference in Las Vegas”), I would like to work with you on the side of Planners who believe in the opportunity of doing things better.

From Beethoven, please play the Symphony no 9, and try to see the film “copying Beethoven”.

Cheers,
Carmen

Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Carmen,

I like what you share in your statement.

Is this your mantra???

I wish we could be together in one Mega Project (project cost not less than 10 Billion USD)and share our expertise in Project Planning and Control.

I can play you Bethoven to unwind the day.

Cheers,

Joseph
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Does grade 8 count?
Charleston-Joseph...
Clive,

Some planners find it boring to always look at Primavera Schedules: Act ID, Act Desc, Dur, ES, FS, etc., etc., blah blah blah..........

So some planners are gifted to play piano like Bethoven’s Flur D Elies and other songs/sounds of the 80’s 90’s etc.

If you know how to play the piano, then, it is possible to teach others to play the piano (if the price is right to teach others to learn how to play the piano.

This is the relation between planner and teaching a piano.

But this is only for those individuals how are gifted to play piano since it is very hard to learn to play the piano especially Bethoven.

So it is satisfying for some individuals to be a planner at the same playing the piano and eventually, if the price is right to teach other how to play the piano.

Cheers,

Joseph
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
If you are after the money and you believe QS get paid more be a QS

If you feel that life is a balance between work and play and enjoying your work is important to you then stay a planner

As to whether having fun as a planner is directly related to teaching the piano I cannot answer this but I have seen a great number of happy planners who appear fullfilled, I have also seen a great number of sad QS.

Remember if the job is less satisfying you will have to pay people more to do it.
Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 10 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
who wants to be a bean counter anyway, QS’s come to us for cost information and we basically do the cost control function anyway (well i do) they can sit there and do what ever else it is they do

regards

brad

ha ha ha ha ha
ulysses garcia
User offline. Last seen 13 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
You are right carmen,
in addition to; It is very distructive for a planner that thinks he knows everything,
like a mouse on the back of an elephant, and thinks he is also an elephant..
HE should Remember.. he knows is some way but he is nothing in another way.. no one is expert in planning keep in mind..Chap
Carmen Arape
User offline. Last seen 7 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Close out this thread,

From this interesting thread, I can conclude that there are two main reasons for working:

- make money
- have fun or self development or feel happy or whatever

In order to finish this thread, I would like to share with you some statements:

1.- The most destructive habit Worry
2.- The greatest problem to overcome Fear
3.- The most effective sleeping pill Peace of mind
4.- The worst thing to be without Hope
5.- The deadliest weapon The tongue
6.- The most worthless emotion Self-pity
7.- The most beautiful attire SMILE
8.- The most prized possession Integrity
9.- The two most power-filled words I can

Cheers
Charleston-Joseph...
Uly,

Figthing is the product of negative emotion called intense hatred. It is the absence of tolerance. Emotion feel by XXXX

Fun is the positive emotion of life. Just relax, be cool. There is nothing to boast really in our beautiful planet since eventually what we learned became things of the past.

As the wise sage say "there are three things that last: faith, hope and love. And the greatest is love".

We love one another and there will be no fighting.

I agree with Nieman. But we have to be realistic: there are half bake planners in our plannet, some are even just good as wedding planners, like YYYY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Joseph
Richard Spedding
User offline. Last seen 5 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
The simple answer for most planners is NO WAY.
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 22 weeks ago. Offline

Joseph

It would be great: Fried chicken flying directly into your mouth, gallons of wine, beautiful girls and 5000 a week. But if you’ll work as you described you won’t have fun any more.

Fun with my work is: do I like to do my job? Do I like to go to work in the morning? Do I like to see the result of my work? Do I like my team, my collegues? ...Not every day of course, but in general. For me this would not be as a QS person.
Have a nice working day!
Dieter
ulysses garcia
Chris and Charls,

Please relax......

FUN is a synonim of ENJOYMENT dont fight man...

Have a nice day have Fun
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Charlie,

What is my idea of having fun? Walking on Dartmoor or the Yorkshire Dales, reading a good book, a night out with friends, all sorts of things. As for what my salary is, lets just hold fire on that for a moment, as for matching your offer, I’m not sure what your offer is.

If it’s $3000 per month plus giving piano lessons, no chance I’m afraid, I can’t play the piano. $5000 per month with a project that appears to be going down the tubes (is that the project you’re managing, Charlie?) no thanks.

Strange though it may seem Charlie, I enjoy what I do and, without boasting, I’m good at it. Because of this rewards and opportunities have come my way and I’ve grabbed them whenever I could. This has meant progression, advancement and, what you seem to be obsessed with, money, and I’m still having fun.

Now I’m afraid I’m going to have to be a little bit brutal, you ask can I match your offer. Which offer Charlie? $5000 per month? I make that in a week, so stop trying to score points and start managing your project.

Chris Oggham
ulysses garcia
Hi Chap,

Planning with all activities obey logic and rules, resources and cost loaded, Earn value control, seems to me called FUN.. I need salary not lesser than $10,000.00 US dollars..pay with constraint NLT no later than end of the month.
In my country this amount ,im sure you will have a lot of FUNNY THINGS as you wish todo...
Sure....
Charleston-Joseph...
Have fun means:

A planner paid 3,000 USD per month net with P3 schedule with Activities not link. No update since all activities will go to data date. No need to report to project manager what planner is doing. planner just have fun and wait for his monthly salary to come. planner got part time job doing piano lesson to the community he work, 100 dollars per hour.

Have fun (less fun) means a planner paid 5,000 USD per month with activities link, no resources loaded, no cost, monthly update only. Provide excel charts (S-curve) not link to primavera update. No need to tell Project Manager what gong on with the planning activities, it may ruin the project manager day since the project is delays by 75 percent of the original schedule.

Any planner want to have fun, please let me know and sent your cv to me.

CHRIS what is your idea of HAVE FUN.

How much is the salary.

Can you match my offer.

Cheers,

Joseph
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Burley,

I think Dieter and Ulysses are right; it really is a case of doing what you think is going to be right for you. One American Manager, Robert Townsend said, "If you’re not in business to have fun or make money, then what the hell are you doing here?"

I always though it was interesting that he put have fun first, so that’s what I suggest you do. Usually if you enjoy doing something, you’re good at it and if you’re good at it, you’ll make money doing it.

Chris Oggham
Charleston-Joseph...
Hello to everyone,

I dont think so that it is worth moving to QS. I think this is a demotion.

The best option is project manager.

Believe me guys, I lot of project managers dont know what the nerdy planners sitting beside him is doing. Or what the P3 planning is all about.

As project managers with planning background, P3, it is a value added in the way project implementation will have a new dimension.

Believe me because Im here already.

Cheers,

Joseph

But of course individual preference should be respective.

Not all persons got the aptitude, skills, leadership, training, mindset, etc. of a project manager. A lot tried project manager job but few are chosen to deliver the best ever.
ulysses garcia
Right,

Each individual has its own option , choice which one you prefer; you think , you feel happy
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Burley

Is QS really an alternative? If yes, I suppose, Scheduler wasn’t the right job. A scheduler always is in close contact to projects, involved in their development. She/He is included to create something new - more or less. I like this job.
QS means to create frames for everything and to put everything into this frame - mightbe I exaggerate a little. This reminds me to greec mythology: the bed of Procrustes.
QS is required by law, somebody must do it. I prefer scheduling.
Change to earn some cent/penny... more? I must like to go to work with an appropriate salary of course. I wouldn’t change it for a job I don’t like.

BUT: People are different, so are their expectations.

Regards to all

Dieter