Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

value of a scheduler ?

17 replies [Last post]
Leslie Trahant
User offline. Last seen 17 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Anyone have ideas on how to determine a scheduler’s worth (in salary) to a company?

Thanks much!!

Replies

Scarllet Pimpernel
User offline. Last seen 13 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Eddie,

Planning Engineers or Planners have a very important role in project management.  If you have time to make a quick readaing of PMBOK (Project Managment Book of Knowledge) by PMI (Project Management Institute), you will notice the important project life cycle revolve around planning process: planning, scheduling, control/monitoring, planning (revised plan01), scheduling (revise) control monitoring, planning (revised plan 02) etc etc etc....

In theory, the planning process and related activities must not be ignore.  In reality, the planning process and related activities are not ignore but during the implementation phase what was plan might not be realistically or can not realistically implemented.  There are lots of factors on why this is the norm in construction and to implement what was originally plan is only an exception.

If you are involve in a project that was able to implement what was originally plan, then, you have just been part of an exemplenary project team.  I have my share of working with exemplenary team when I worked in Malaysia (1 project) and in Dubai (also 1 project).  As I moved on, I always bench mark my project team on those two exemplenary project.  Most of my present project now cannot are way far below those standard in project management. So, I expect a project failure.

But knowing a project team is an ingredient of project failure, is really a bonanza for planning engineers or planners because a planning engineer will have a lot of activities to do: planning, scheduling, control monitoring, planning (revised 1) scheduling, control monitoring, etc. etc.

It is not the planning engineers or planners fault if the agreed plan can not be implemented by the project team because other member of the project team may have reason to deliberately fail projects.  Please take note that a project got lots of stakeholders with diverse interest.

So in conclusion, a planning engineer must continue to do planning, scheduling, control monitoring irrespective of the present project culture.

Thank you,

Scarlett

Eddy San Gabriel
User offline. Last seen 7 years 26 weeks ago. Offline

I am new in this site. I never thought a site like this actually exist. and it feels good.. because most of the time projects here in the Philippines only have one planner in a project. And i have no one to talk on matters in planning and scheduling. Specially if your counter part in the contractor side don't know how to speak English(pure chinese who needs interpreter).   Anyway, I am a Planner by accident, because our planner suddenly took another job. And I filled the shoes. Nevertheless, I had always been in Project Management, Project Coordination and Control. Also taking up Master's degree in Management. Eventhough Primavera is just a tool, its was hard to start . Started from scratch a year ago (with no formal training), and as of now i feel im doing progress. But I have no one to compare with. That's why I hope i can learn much from here.  

What is the value of the project planner?

Project planners most of the time, are just seen to be technical staff in the office, producing reports, were data's normally came from the site, filled up by the site/resident engineers.

Project Planners can actually say why the project is delayed. Specially when all activities have their roles and resources. The sad thing is most of the time, they just ignore what you say, because they think they know better.

Well that what happens when they do not know the capability of the software the user.

It it important, they should know why a planner is needed, and they should listen when you say we are Going to be DELAYED...

Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Mel,

I like your idea.

The best a planning engineer or planner can do to attain big bucks will generally depends on his/her attitude.

The big question a planning engineer or planner will ask: will I make a defference to achieve the best ever planning and scheduling for this project or I will just be like the rest, go to office 8 hours a day and receive my paycheck.

WE know the answer to make big / bigger / biggest value for scheduler aka planning engineer or planner.

Cheers,

charlie
Michael Ezell
User offline. Last seen 16 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Leslie:

I see your from Louisiana, well the Dollar amount in our area right now is inflated by katrina’s winds. I hired a guy about 3 mounths ago on a project in Baton Rouge. I had to pay him $59.00 hr and $90 a day in per dium. botom line he did’nt cut it, and there was more clean up on his schedule than you can imagine.
Mel Daniels
User offline. Last seen 15 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Stephen,

I dont mind at all. As always when I post on sites such as this it is simply my opinion and I certainly dont expect all to share it etc. I do however understand where you are coming from.

I know of many schedulers in different fields that have adopted the position "I’m only getting paid to schedule and thats ALL I’m going to do." With me it was different. My background came from graphic arts and internet technologies. I am not an engineer and I do not hold any degrees higher than associate, BUT, I was given a chance to prove myself with a company years ago that needed someone that "knew how to use a computer" I was like HELL YEAH I can do that. As bored as I was with the job I took every opportunity to learn more about the managing of the projects *reading specs, learning symbols on drawings, little stuff*, I felt that anything I could learn could help keep me from the dreaded "Lay Off". I was a new father, with no insurance, no real money saved, and was willing to work as hard as it took to stay employed and to earn as much as possible.

Now I can comfortably go on a jobsite and know that I can plan/schedule outages, take over a field office if need be, hire/fire staff, QA/QC, weld inspection, safety and recently I have been dabbling in contract administration/claims.
Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 34 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Mel,

If you don’t mind my saying so, you may have a slightly unrealistic view of schedulers and their value. This is because you learned your stuff in the industry application (nuke outages) that is BY FAR the most sophisticated in the U.S. in terms of scheduling. Additionally, the cost of time on nuke outages is very large, clearcut and quantified: $X million for each day offline, depending on size and grid location.

I so much wish that other industries (especially my customers!) had planners even 10% as competent and sophisticated as those in your industry. Unfortunately, most schedulers in other applications (espec. IS, Pharma, aerospace/defense) provide far less value than energy-industry schedulers, even on projects with budgets in the tens of millions.

I would love to inject just a little of your industry’s planning and scheduling sophistication into PMI!
Mel Daniels
I have seen far too many times a project manager make the claim "if it wasnt for that damn software a planner/scheduler wouldnt be needed on this project". All too often I see the planner *who I believe to be a VERY important part of the project* be treated as the "bastard child" so to speak. WE are the ones with the answers. WE know when they are missing their targets, usually long before they do, WE know when a noticable slow down in work occurs. WE know when manpower should be boosted to bring the project back to a manageable state. The bad part is that Ive seen a lot of times that the planner is given a lot of responsibility but no authority. I have been lucky in recent years as a field scheduler to have the authority to go out onto a jobsite and have my recommendations heard and put into action with regard to manpower, tooling, material expiditing, etc.

At the same time, a bad planner with no ambition but to just be there to collect a paycheck and leave can bring about a lot of misfortune for a project.

So Alex I think the only way I personally can honestly answer your question is to say that a planner is ONLY as important and valuable to an organization as he or she makes themselves. On my projects my managers know where they are with their budgets and project status at a moments notice. I MAKE them rely on my skills, usually under the guise of "you are too busy to worry about this, let me take care of that for you, etc.".
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Mel

I think we also want to look at the other side of the fences, not how much a planner earn, instead how much value can a planner bring into the organisation.

What is your view...

Alex
Mel Daniels
Another thing to consider....

What kind of scheduler do you want to be?

Field scheduler: fast paced, lots more stress, and a lot of times get paid LOTS more money.

Corporate scheduler: not nearly as fast paced, stressful but not as much as in the field, the pay isnt always as high, but lots of times there is "job stability, benefits, and usually people just leave you alone because they just dont understand what it is that you do all day *like when you stare at the screen typing your brains out looking concerned and all the while it is just a clever front while you post messages on PP and the likes*

Do you want to be a scheduler for big corporation or small "mom n pop" type gigs? A lot of satisfaction can come from either side, and earnings are limitless if you put the effort forth to find the right job. Both have their run of the mill politics to deal with. The only real difference I see is Standard Operating Procedures, Political Correctness, and the size of the projects awarded.
Mel Daniels
I have found in practice that a LOT of companies look for their scheduler/planner to be able to have lots of skill sets. Ranging from office management to project management. I realize that a lot of you that work on considerably larger jobs are unable to field multiple positions on your projects due to stringent time contraints or quite frankly the contractor ONLY wants you to be thinking about scheduling.

When I first started in this field I was an outage scheduler in the field and only making $25.00 hr. To me back then that was damn good money *simply because I didnt know any better*, now I wont even get out of bed for less than $65.00 hr. It really all depends on the company and what value THEY put on their schedulers. Sadly it isnt until they damn near fail miserably before they put the effort into finding skilled schedulers and paying them what the job is worth.
Alex Wong
Stephen

In theroy yes, but not in practice (I think)

But I can give you some stats.

In a PMI publication show that by implementation of a Project Planning (Tool + Methodology + People) the gross profit can increase by 30% average, thought better planning, resource levelling, reduce delivery time...

HTH

ALex
Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 34 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Leslie,

To address your query seriously, it’s unfortunately pretty impossible to tell the value of anything in project management -- because traditional project management makes no attempt to plan, measure, or track value! Even a concept such as earned value has nothing to do with value -- it’s all about cost, as the "C" in the terms BCWS, BCWP and ACWP demonstrates.

Please understand -- I’m not saying that projects aren’t about value; they clearly are! It’s just that traditional techniques and metrics ignore that fact.

In addition, any question about value, in any field, is always relative. I don’t know if you’re a baseball fan, but the St. Louis Cardinals used to have a great shortstop who was named Ozzie Smith. Baseball announcers loved to talk about how Ozzie’s fielding saved his team 50 - 100 runs a year. Which raised the question: 50 - 100 runs versus what? Versus not having any shortstop at all, merely a hole in the infield? Versus having me play shortstop? Versus the worst shortstop in the league? Versus the second best shortstop in the league? Unless we know to what Ozzie was being compared, we can have no idea of how many runs he was saving.

How to tell how much is a planner worth? Here’s what I tell my seminar attendees and graduate students to do:

1a. Put together a plan for the way that someone without planning and optimization skills would do the project.

1b. Take a snapshot of the estimated duration and EAC.

1c. Estimate/determine what the value-minus-cost of the project would be with that duration and EAC.

2a. Use your planning skills to optimize the project for schedule and cost.

2b. Estimate/determine what the value-minus-cost of the project would be with the optimized duration and EAC.

2c. Subtract the output of 1c from the output of 2b to get an approximate "starting value-added" for the planner.

Now, as the project proceeds, every time there is a variance during implementation:

3a. Estimate/determine what the value-minus-cost of the project would be without ameliorating that variance.

3b. Use your planning skills to optimize/ameliorate the impact of the variance.

3c. Estimate/determine the value-minus-cost following amelioration.

3d. Subtract the output of 3a from the output of 3c.

3e. Add the output of 3d to the output of 2b. This gives a cumulative value-added of the planner.

Repeat until the end of the project to get an estimated AVAP (Actual Value-Added of the Planner).

Actually, a good and experienced planner can add much more value than would be shown by this method. But at least this is a start. If someone argues that you weren’t worth "that" much, ask THEM how much they think the results of decisions were worth!

To find out more about the TPC approach (which focuses on managing projects as investments, for greatest value), read the series of articles on TPC at:

http://www.projectsatwork.com/departments/methods-means/

If you’re especially interested in the baseball and project management metaphor, scroll to the bottom of the PMI Metrics SIG web page below and click on the Webinar "Moneyproject: Baseball, Metrics, and Project Management" at:

http://www.metsig.org/Webinars/index.cfm?NavID=15&SubNavID=0

Registration is required for both the Projects@Work articles and the PMI Webinar. It’s free for the articles, but I believe the Webinar is $10. I also believe the Webinar offers PDUs to PMI members.
James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Get a stronger pot-plant, then.
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
User offline. Last seen 13 years 12 weeks ago. Offline

the prettier is better, but there must be another more prettier but the value added is the same
James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
If you smoke the pot-plants first, then your "ugly one" might look a little prettier.

James.
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Alex,

Spot on! Although the ugly one can make the office pot plants wilt.

Chris Oggham
Alex Wong
A good one will earn you a billion
A bad one will cost you a billion
A ugly one who knows

Alex