Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Changing from building to oil and gas/marine

15 replies [Last post]
Lucas l
User offline. Last seen 14 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello,

I would like to find ot what are my chances of switching planning jobs from building/infrastructures to oil and gas marine.

Currently I am working more on railway and E&M project.

Regards
Lucas

Replies

D Artagnan
User offline. Last seen 2 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
In the middle east specially planners in oil and gas field are paid at least double than planners for B&C industry. Moneywise, definitely, it is more fulfilling. Working hours, benefits, freebies and perks are better.

I am working in Qatar, and this is the case. I am just working it out,as well, to be in oil and gas field, perhaps, after two years.

:)
Joel Gilbert
User offline. Last seen 5 years 17 hours ago. Offline
If that is what you want go for it. Apply and if you get in good luck. The Oil and gas is always looking to save a penny or two so I don’t see why you won’t get in.

Just be positive and sell yourself well and you are in.

People don’t get nowhere without taking chances. Sometimes you bump your head, then you pick yourself up and start again. That is life
Carmen Arape
User offline. Last seen 7 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Mike,

Nice to read your post.

Like your expression of “rubbish in rubbish out” for some schedules and not for my phrase “ listen to yourself”.

Let me update with the rates of people selling this phrase and more phrases as part of the service called coaching. A normal rate for a coach is 40-50 Euros per hour. I can ensure you that is more money that I make as planner.

Dear Samer,

You understood better my message and my phrase has to do with Emotional Intelligence as more important for success than the Intellectual quotient.

Old theories and models in management are not longer valid. All the “rubbish in and out” (per Mike) are part of the new theories.

For instance, INSEAD (France) finishes its Advanced management program for senior executives with workshops which include: yoga for executives, management without attachment (controlling emotions), identity, motivation.

Cheers,
Carmen
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 30 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Hi Scarlet

To my way of thinking the prospect of setting out a detailed plan for my future career / life / relationships etc just horifies me.

I prefer to let things happen and react when they do.

In this process I soon realised that you can never make a wrong decision - it will always be right at the time that you made it.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Scarllet Pimpernel
User offline. Last seen 13 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Mike / Samer and Carmen also to all,

We do have to listen to oneself (also listen to Carmen).

"IF you listen to yourself, you will take the best decision for your future"

Making a decision in life is not really the ultimate utopia:

it is only a small step to what may lay ahead, hopefully to achieve the very best of the best.

In this regard, what we need is a carreer plan or life plan,

And since I’m a die hard fanatic of plan, plan, planning

I venture into life plan or something like

a life coach plan. It will not focus on that one small step but phasing, stages, till reaching the goal.

This is only a part time job for me and my commission is very small.

Anyone interested, please give me a mail.

GB, PTL, TY
Scarlett
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Mike,

Listening to oneself is a classical phsycology term. I think that Carmen is into Emotional Intelligence. That is spreading wide in corporations these days.

For people who haven’t figured out what you want in life yet, and they want to perform better, then it would be time to change a little bit of the habits that don’t work. So EI works in this situation.

With kind regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
Hi Carmen

Nice to hear from you again.

The ship building thing was about 10 years ago and was based on about 36 years building experience at that time.

It still amazes me that employers insist that you have to have a particular skill or experience before they will consider you for a commission.

They would rather employ someone who knows all about shipbuilding and nothing about delay analysis - weird.

And that phrase - IF you listen to yourself, you will take the best decision for your future - sounds like a classic case of rubbish in rubbish out.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Carmen Arape
User offline. Last seen 7 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Mike,

When did that happen? Let me guess, you were more or less like Lucas, 1.8 years experience and with civil background ??

Dear Lucas,

Our PP members with more than 15 years of experience deserve to be listened because ....,

BUT you need to hear yourself with less noise coming from PP forum. What does your common sense tell you?? IF you listen to yourself, you will take the best decision for your future.

Succes,

Cheers,
Carmen

Mike Testro
Hi All

I was once interviewed for a shipbuilding delay analysis EoT - my only experience was building construction.

When asked about my understanding of shipbuilding I said "Its just like a long steel building laying flat what floats." I thought that summed it up pretty well but I didn’t get the commission.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Gito Susanto
User offline. Last seen 6 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Jeff,

May i know your starting point to turn your course..

Regards,
Lucas l
Hi Jeff,

So which one do you prefer better ? Are there any difference culture for building and marine planning ?
jeff hadjail
User offline. Last seen 3 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
dear lucas,

it depends upon you if you are really interested to shipt to marine works then it would be an challenging work’s.Just study and concentrate and there will be no problems for shipting to other industry.Actuallly i work before in building industry but now in marine works.cheers up!

regards,
Jeff H
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Lucas,

If I want to guess, then I would say that the shipbuilding and oil rig is more specialized than buildings. So this is a good opportunity to learn something new.

Buildings on the other hand are a much bigger industry and have more competition.

So, if you are slightly interested in the new position, it would be good to complete few projects in it to test the waters for yourself.

With kind regards,

Samer
Lucas l
Hi

I have an opportunity to switch to marine industry, planning for shipbuilding and oil rig.

I only have 2 years of experience in area of building and infrastructure and now is presented with this opportunity.

I am really in a dilemma whether to stay in my current field or change to marine.

Can anyone advice on the comparison of prospect between the two ?

Are there any marine planner who can give me some insights into marine planning?
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Lucas,

It depends on your degree at this stage. Next to your name, it shows that you have 1.4 years experience. So the recruiters will have to look for your education and it will have the majority of the review.

If you have courses related to energy, it will be easier. You are still young and everything is possible.

Good luck.

With kind regards,

Samer