Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Considering working abroad

10 replies [Last post]
Rhys Burton
User offline. Last seen 9 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi all,

I’m currently contracting in the UK (with 5+ years of mainly rail experience) but my ladyfriend and I are considering working abroad for a few years before age and commitments get the better of us.

We are considering a move to asia/australasia but haven’t made any decisions yet. I’m keen to get a feel for what the market is like for planning/project controls staff in the wider world and whether by working as a UK based contractor you would bypass VISA rules etc. or would it be better to take a staff position and apply for a temporary working visa.

All comments and thoughts are appreciated

Rhys

Replies

Damian Smith
User offline. Last seen 13 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Perth is the most isolated city in the world.
J
Gwen Blair
User offline. Last seen 10 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Andy,

Domestics! I am just back from Perth Oz just as two people I worked with in the UK have taken their young families there.
Postitives
Cheap cost of living, housing, food, drink, easy casual dress to work, work balance correct. Tax not too bad. Ozzies great to work for and with, great sense of humour and no pretentions. Local politics are a hoot. Been known that the Freemantle "Council" meetings have ended in fisticuffs allegedly!
Flora and fauna, sunny every day almost.
Great sailing snorkling.

Negatives - my personal ones.
Its a long where from anywhere else and dont underestimate you missing you "rellies" your "mates" and funny enough roots.
A 2year stint in Oz providing you get your Living Away from Home Allowance which lets you package your living costs tax free. After 2 years of if you buy within that 2 years you lose theallowance.
shaju methil
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
You can check the website - seek.com.au .It’s one of the best website that i have come across in Australia.
&
Best of luck for your career
Andy McLean-Reid
User offline. Last seen 18 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
I quite like the idea of Oz as well. I got a call from an agent about it not so long ago - mining related work based in Sydney.

Perth is nice, I am told, with offshore work. But generally there appears to be alot of work for planners, anecdotally at least.

I too have been in rail for the last few years, by far the cash cow of late, I’m just tired of the high cost of living in the UK, and the awful press, and the tax, my goodness the tax, and the traffic, and the chavs.

I once overheard a conversation on a train where a bloke stated that the UK was the best country in the world to live, problem is 95% of people couldn’t afford to. I am rapidly becoming one of those. The perils of having a baby I suppose, and buying a house a coiuple of months after, oh and sorting out her indoors’ divorce settlement. Pass me the gaviscon and the brochure for New South Wales ;-)
Rhys Burton
Thanks guys,

Thats great.

Rhys
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Charlie
the other paper is the Khaleej times not sure if that is the right spelling
Clive
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Hi again,

sorry, it should be gulfnews.com

There is another newspaper but i forgot the spelling of the website. If you are interested ill sent it to you. In the meantime, gulfnews.com may be sufficient at the moment.

same

charlie
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Rhys,

The boom town is in GCC.

You got a lot of potential in the rail industry, just continue reading the news: gulfnes.com.

Cheers,

Charlie
Sara Dean
User offline. Last seen 13 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
If your coming to Australia it would be much easier to come here on a visa and gain employment rather than as a UK based contractor. I believe if you come as a UK based contractor your income in the UK during the existing tax year would need to be included when you file a tax return in Aus (which is mandatory). There is heaps of work for Planners in Australia and paying good money, particulary site work and you could quite possibly end up earning the same money you’d earn in the UK taking in to consideration the exchange rate to the GB pound.
Rhys Burton
Thanks Sara,

Thats a great help.

Rhys