Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

WORKING IN THE UK AS SITE MANAGER

8 replies [Last post]
Shehzad Khanzada
User offline. Last seen 12 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am presently working in Dubai as a Senior Planning Engineer and earning approx 1900 pounds per month as tax free salary. I have a offer to work in london as Site Manager.They are offering 38,000 per annum + car + fuel.

Can my fellow planners who are presently working in the UK guide me as to take up this job or not.

Replies

Alan Chadwick
User offline. Last seen 10 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy....

London offers the most Michelin stared restaurants of any major city in the world....we beat Paris and New York combined,

the nightlife scene be it clubs, bars, theatre or concerts can not be beaten....(never heard of what Dubai can offer)....as the summer approaches we enter festival season.

Crowds are allway associated with big cities if you don’t like crowds live in the sticks...do what loads of Aussies, Kiwis & South Africans do, come here for a few years, blow everything and then some of what you earn, then return to the Middle East to the warm, tax free bland environment to pay off your debts !!

Easy !!
Shehzad Khanzada
User offline. Last seen 12 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks for all your reply. It will certainly help me in taking the right decision.

Best regards
Andrew Flowerdew
User offline. Last seen 2 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Shehzad,

If I came to work in UAE for more than 6 months I would not pay UK income tax, ie it would be tax free. Don’t know if it works the same in reverse for you.

Andrew is right about rates for ex pats now abroad - can often earn as much in UK but as stated above, if abroad it can be tax free for us so it may make it worth while.

Apart from the experience most UK people work abroad for either the money or the climate - rains alot in UK, London is very expensive although I know alot of UK site managers working in London for less than £45k. Actually at the moment site managers are fairly easy to get hold off, planners are not and tend to be paid higher salaries - but that can change over time.

The ultimate choice is yours!

Vishwas Bindigana...
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Shehzad,

If u gotta go, then U GOTTA GO!!

Some see the glass half-empty, some see it half-full. Which way do you see it? This was the question you asked yourself before you came to UAE, right?

All the best. The Queen is going to appreciate your services.
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi shahzad

Andrew is rightly saying that whether you have attractive salary in UK not less that 45,000 pounds but the end result is not good such as taxes, accomodation,weather conditions, traveling expenses etc. in the Expensive country whereas although you have comparitvely less salary in UAE but such matters do not bother u.

Everything has some adantages and disadvantages.

Anyhow,Final Decision is yours.

Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 9 years 3 hours ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
I have no idea much about London. But most of the big cities in this world are facing the same problems.

Even in Kuala Lumpur the roads are congested, parking fees are expensive, air polluted & etc. same as London. The only difference is climate and during weekdays & holidays the cars are less on the roads.

Basically, the choice is yours and what you want to achieve at the end.

Have a nice day.

Regards.
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
On £38, 000, you will net approx £2, 200 per month.

London is an extremely expensive place to work. A car is absolutely no use to you as there is no place to park, the roads are congested and road tolls operate in Central London. As I look out of my window it is about 5 deg C, raining, grey and miserable.

HTH
Jaco Stadler
User offline. Last seen 17 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
TAX