Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to Calculate Asking Rate?

4 replies [Last post]
Ashik GB
User offline. Last seen 7 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello Friends,

Can anybody suggest me, how to calculate the asking rate for the project?

I wanted to incorporate in my Daily Progress Report..

I had a doubt in that, wheather can we show the asking rate on daily basis?

is it simple to calculate with the formula, Asking Rate = (Balance Percentrage Remaining)/ No of Days Remaining

Can we calculate by above formula?

Regards,

Ashik

Replies

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 43 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Mike, once again we are in violent agreement:

Actual resource hours vs. planned resource hours ("CPI-labour") eliminates several of the distortions (purchased items, "free" overtime of exempt employees, delay of cost disbursement) that afflict total budget tracking.  In general, whatever resources are important and "limited" on a project (fuel, water, malaria pills, battery power, or whatever) should be progressed. And a CPI (or CPI-labour, or CPI-malaria pills) dip is often a leading indicator of schedule delay. We stay on schedule for a while by our fingernails, by exceeding budget, but ultimately even that won't suffice...

It's good to see Australia struggle at cricket.  (And better to see Windies finally on the rise! England were just too good for them this summer, but wait a couple of years...)

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 30 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Stephen

I always have doubts about using cost to evaluate progress - you may have heard of my "Gold taps theorem".

A better basis is resource hours extracted from the budget.

its good to see the Aussies getting some lessons in how to play properly.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 43 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi, Ashik.

I assume that what you mean by Asking Rate is the equivalent of what it means in cricket: how productive do you have to be to meet the goal?

The formula that might help you is an earned value formula: To Complete Performance Index, or TCPI:

TCPI  = (BAC – EV) / (BAC – AC)

{[budget at completion minus earned value] divided by [budget at completion minus actual cost to date] or, in US DOD terms, [BAC – BCWP] / [BAC – ACWP]}.

If budget = $1,500K, earned value = $875K and actual cost = $1,200K (so that CPI = .73), what must our CPI be the rest of the way to finish on budget at $1,500K?

TPCI  = ($1,500 - $875) / ($1,500 - $1,200)

= ($625 / $300)

= 2.08 

Think that if we've been working at .73 CPI so far, we can meet budget by working at 2.08 the rest of the way?

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

What is Asking Rate?