Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Value Engineering

2 replies [Last post]
Sankar Vijayan
User offline. Last seen 3 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Can any one explain the Value engineering Clause of FIDIC & NEC3 ?Which is more benificial to Contractors?

Thanks & Regards

Sankar Vijayan

Replies

Sankar Vijayan
User offline. Last seen 3 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear sir,

Both Fidic & Nec encourage Value Engineering by Contractor.By doing so if contractor Save money for client .how the benifit shared i heard that for NEC it is 50 -50 & Fidic it is 20 -80(20 for contractor) ,but i am not sure whether it is right or not.it is not clearly mentioned.Do u have any idea regarding this

regards

sankar vijayan

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 27 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Sankar

A value engineering excercise is usually where a contractor is requested to review the design and speciification and suggest ways and means whereby costs can be reduced.

It can be a problem however if not all the factors are considered.

I once worked on a large hospital where the contractor suggested a saving by reducing the basement area by 30%. The cost saving was considerable but the change added 5 months to the contract period - the contractor lost a lot of money.

As regards the difference in the contract forms I can't think of any off hand - you will need to read both sections to see if there is any fundamental shift in risk allocation.

Best regards

Mike Testro.