Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

NEC Option B Contract

3 replies [Last post]
rayhan khan
User offline. Last seen 13 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Everyone,

I've just had job come up involving building some flats, the problem I have come accross is that during earthworks we found a underground bunkers, due to us not knowing this and the project manager not informing me. The client is now refusing to pay for the removal of the bunkers.

The job was priced uup under NEC3 Option B, does anyone know what I can do about this, I dont think that I should pay the expense of removing them as it will cost me more than the jobs worth, any advise would be greatley appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 22 hours ago. Offline

Hi Rayan

You are stuck with option B so don't try to change it.

The normal time period for notification of a compensation event is 8 weeks so don't hang about.

Best regards

Mike Testro

rayhan khan
User offline. Last seen 13 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Mike,

Thank you for the comments, they are very useful to know, on this basis I am thinking of asking the client to consider using NEC3 Option C, do you think this will be a better option as its based on a activity schedule?

Also if the client was to stick to his guns and say its option B we are using and thats that! are there any time limits or clauses I could use to compensate me?

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 22 hours ago. Offline

Hi Rayan

I have just googled this on Option B

Option B: Remeasurement priced contract with bill of quantities

The Employer provides a bill of quantities which is priced by the Contractor. The contract price is the

sum of prices for all items in the bill which may include lump sums for certain items. When the work is

done, if it is found by remeasurement that the estimated quantity is not correct, it is corrected and

payment is made to the Contractor to reflect the actual work carried out. Under this option, unlike

Option A, the Employer takes the risk of the correctness of the quantities.

Option B would normally be used where the risk of change in quantities is relatively high. It is not

appropriate for design and build contracts since the Contractor is responsible who designs and

prepares the detailed design and plans.

So unless there is something else in the contract that says the contractor takes all risks in underground obstructions you shouls apply for a compensation event to the Project manager.