Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

What considerations make projects go behind programme?

21 replies [Last post]
Robert Burns
User offline. Last seen 5 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Good day,

Directed towards Project Managers, Contracts Managers, etc, could you explain the main reasons, in your eyes, for Projects going behind Programme?

Many thanks for all comments & suggestions.

Robert

Replies

Rahmat Hidayat
User offline. Last seen 40 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi also Edgar, basically CCS no need a separate Division or Department in your existing project organization. You can arrange person from Scheduling, Cost Control, Engineering & Design, and other concerned division to form a Change Control Group. Change Control Board as well can be consist of your Project Director, Project Manager, and all key managers. You also need a log book to record all formal changes and you also need regular meeting.

There’s no special thing to be installed in this system like hardware or software but we need to install the concept in the people main set involved in the project.

Cost ? may be only to pay consultant or we go abroad to join a course.

And for Radja, first try to browse from internet using search engine with key word like change control system.

At last, Sorry I’m actually not an expert for this matter but i just expose the idea. May be some expert person in this forum can share their knowledge in a new thread.

Regards,
RH
Edgar Ariete
User offline. Last seen 5 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Rahmat,

How much do you think is the cost of establishing that CCS?
And you also mentioned a "Change Control Board as decision maker", isn’t it expensive? Or is this applicable to small projects also?

Edgar
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
User offline. Last seen 13 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Again Rahmat,
Do U think u could give me sample of the output in PDF, my mail address miharbiz@yahoo.com
Thanks in advance.

Regards
Rahmat Hidayat
No Radja, it’s not a jobcard.It’s a management tool to monitor all dynamic changes in a project still under control. Changes can be happened in design, spec, unit price, constr method, etc due to internal mistakes, enviroment changes, or client requirement. All changes there shall be proposed with acceptable reason and re-adjusted effects to the cost and schedule.

I’m sure if you apply this system, your project will not go beyond programme because you will update programme itself. In short, earlier you anticipate changes earlier you can solve future problem.

Raja Izat Raja Ib...
Hi Rahmat,
Is it the same with Jobcard? .Where in the one sheet of paper we have one main activities as the tittle which we datail up the activities incude the volume work, job method, cost the manpower/equipment, numbers of manpower and planned date for the activities to be execute.
Rahmat Hidayat
All right Raja,

Change Control System is also called Change Management System but don’t be confused with term change order, it’s different. First project started we established an Execution Baseline.Baseline usually consist of budget, schedule,work volume, spec, procedures, etc.CCS is to control any changes to those Baseline. CCS is also to filter the changes that are not formal or not necessary. CCS is also as earliest anticipation of changes that have potensial impact to the cost or schedule.

If the baseline is not relevant anymore we have to revise with the new baseline. Therefore CCS will always maintain our schedule in a realistic manner with the current most probable cost. Besides, all project personnel will aware of the effect of changes and it’s an economic impact on the project.

To establish this CCS in your project you should have a change control group that will manage all changes and a change control board as the decision maker.Then system that will be applied should be explained in a procedure completed with sample forms.

I think you can check the sript of this matter in AACE library.

Thks

Raja Izat Raja Ib...
Hi Rahmat,
I’m intrested with your idea. Can U eloborate the CCS, How its runs. just to know, may be the format is the same only name is different.
Rahmat Hidayat
Hi all,

Sorry I don’t follow all of your thread discussion but I try to get the point. Nothing initial programme is perfect, it should be updated along project life time.

In my opinion, we need to settle a Change Control System (CCS) in our project organization in order to maintain the project still in the programme. CCS will always update the Programme based on current changes condition that may dynamically change from time to time.

Thks
Edgar Ariete
Hello Robert,

I’m not in your level of thinking, just curious though, what do you mean by saying a programme will function more effectively & honestly should there be a Planning Engineer during inception stage? Do you mean most programs were not really planned well or unrealistic from the start? Then, why decisions were made if that would be the case? Or risk is always relative?

My apologies for trying to learn.

cheers,

Edgar
Robert Burns
Hi Edgar,

Possibly going down another conversation stream here but yeh, why not. Why not have the P.E. be the Clients Ears and Eyes on the Project, involved within all decision making , whether it be externally (without being involved in the actual decision, but required to be aware of it) or internally (where the P.E. must have an input on the decision). Makes sense to me. We all know the P.E. should be the driver of the Project / Programme, so by moving within the O.B.S and interacting directly with the client and contractor, we could possibly see a mechanism where there are less extraneous events placed on the P.E. and he / she actually feels in control of the Programme.

Ok, Programme Management can be allied to this proposition, but could the Planning Engineer not be involved in the same function , whether it be on site on a £250k re-fit to Corporate Management Level?

Not to be bias, although I am , but sense suggests that by allowing the P.E. more jurisdiction and decision making, the Project & Programme will function much more honestly and effectively.
Edgar Ariete
why not?
Robert Burns
Hi,

Thanks for the reply’s. Gary, I agree with your comments on the resources at hand, particulary within our discipline of Planning Engineering. You make comment also on the aspect of achievable programmes, within which I have always had issue as should there not be a Planning Engineer within the Project structure from it’s very inception. It would appear that the programme is only ’important’ when design, procurement and construction are considered. This leads me to my point , which is possibly another discussion thread, but at corporate level discussons, there should be a logical thread to the projects being discussed, hence an external driver as such. If the Planning Engineer was involved in the Procurement discussions, then obviously he/she would have greater control over the programme.

Could the Planning Engineer be the future Client Rep? It would makes sense, as an individual who did not have to corroberate what the P.M told them.

You have though answered the question on why delays occur, as several construction metaphors have painted pictures as to why so much goes wrong. But, and here is another point, is it not the simple case that construction being what it is it could not survive without the claim culture? It pours millions of pounds into the industry each year, creates a myriad of research and development on procurement, dispute resolution, etc, and as such we simply harness it as a requirement and accept the positives over the negatives.

I for one would like to see the Planning Enginners role become more defined at the inception phase as they could, to all intents and purposes display a role of impartiality , which would drive the project & programme on simultaneously and without bias. Could the Planning Engineer as a Clients Rep, be the answer to a claims culture?
Gary France
User offline. Last seen 16 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Robert,

In my experience – centred mainly on the building industry in the UK – there are two main causes of delay.

Before work starts on site, optimism is the problem. Very often a programme is drawn for the development appraisal, design, town planning, procurement etc that is simply unrealistic and consequently not able to be met. An example of this is the legal process. Almost all projects need legal agreements put in place before work can start on site, but who has ever seen a programme setting out the work that the legal team need to do? Normally, the lawyers are just left to get on with it with nobody either understanding what needs to be done and when, or even worse, nobody even thinking that this legal work may be on the critical path, which often it is! For me, a lot more realism needs to be allowed in the programme for the pre-construction activity. Far too many designers and contractors don’t say to a client that their aspirations in terms of the date for starting on site are unrealistic.

Secondly, the other main cause delay is a lack of good staff resources on the project, but this is almost never admitted to. Instead, the true reasons are hidden behind a stated mixture of contractor delay and design delays. In almost all projects that I know of that have been delayed, the designer blames the contractor for the delays quoting late deliveries, a lack of co-ordination, not enough labour on site etc and the contractor blames the designer for issuing the information too late. But in almost every case, the true reason is a lack of good staff either on the designer’s or the contractor’s side.

The majority of project delays could have been avoided if enough resources in the form of good management and good staff was spent on solving the problem beforehand. Think about almost any delay you have encountered on a project – I am sure that it could have been resolved if enough staff resources where available to solve it.

In my experience, the most successful on time projects have the best staff on them – no coincidence in my book!

Gary France
Mace
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
Hi Again Robert,
In your post thread, I see that u more focusing on type of procurement, is it affecting the programme, could u share what’s behind it.... or maybe there is somthing i missing here.
Cheers... nice to know U, maybe i could learn something new.

regards
Robert Burns
Hi Raja,

Great point on the Procurement issue as I believe that if the Planning /Programme process was involved at the procurement phase it would make such a difference. I was fortunate to work within the realms of Corporate Planning and thus the subsequent Procurement phasing. Possibly on smaller jobs this is not possible, I appreciate that, but the type of procurement will lead to varying types of changes possible and thus varying types of delays, I would suggest.

May be worthwhile making a study on the effects of varying procurement methods and how they correlate with the varying delays experienced on projects?
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
Hi Again,
Actually i’m not very well verse, but lesson learn... The important thing is construction have to control the procurement delivery not the delivery controlling the construction. But sometimes beyond our control and advisable to change the construction sequence nearest date of delivery. What we do is to negotiate with the vendor / supplier to meet our date installation. My study on one project(this project is parallel with design) nearly come true all the equipment expected on time but we interfacing with local authorities (inspection) that we are not included in Procurement. Actually so many issues i define on this area (this is one of them). Just that for now.
Robert Burns
Hi Raja and Norzul,

Apologies Norzul as I am looking for examples from Project members who have experienced causes of delay to the Programme, such as the example which Raja gave. I am looking to see if there is a common thread, even with all the varying types of procurement throught the globe.

Raja’s comment is exactly what I have experienced as even still there are too many projects being designed as construction continues , for varying reasons - in fact, could you tell me the forms of procurement you utilise and which ones can lead to there being delays on site?

Many thanks
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
Hi Roberts,
From my POV the most common delay is come from engineering design side ... not blaming but this is reality that we should focus on it. This is because of the difficulty on their side to decide like the spec. the design and the process as client required and to meet vendor spec. and contractors experiences, thats the interfacing at site which drag the activities from the MCD.
Norzul Ibrahim
User offline. Last seen 16 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Robert,

Perhaps yu could elaborate further..."programme and project"?

Normally, in my experience, a project is lead by a project manager or project engineer. Reporting to him will be the discipline engrs, project control, planners, etc. Planner is the one who prepare and maintain the schedule. So I personally don’t quite understand when yu ask "why the management of the Programme is not always the same as that of the Project?"

Thanks

norzul
Robert Burns
Hi Norzul,

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate that there are many reasons, but my enquiry is based more on what are the most common forms of delay in which people encounter.

My error for leaving such a broad brushed question as I wanted numerous answers, but I am curious as to why:

a) the management of the Programme is not always the same as that of the Project?

b) where the project has gone behind programme, why has it done so and what are common delays?

Norzul Ibrahim
User offline. Last seen 16 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
many possibilities i.e. inexperience contractor, low budgeted project, no drive from the top management, poor coordination between disciplines, lack of communication, unclear scope, too much inteference from client, original schedule unrealistic, no continuity on key personnel, no motivation, no leadership, etc....