Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Questions Please !

8 replies [Last post]
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
Do you have a burning question? or perhaps you can answer a question for someone? Good Luck!!

Replies

srinivasa tupurani
User offline. Last seen 5 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

Hello,

I am taking up new Project Management responsibility at my work place. I consider myself a novice in the Project Management domain as I am more of Quality Assurance Manager.

My first task is to identify best software tool which can be used both for Project Management/ Testing at one place. Our group handling between 10 to 15 agile projects (per month) on an average.

Typically this software should provide following:

1.      Cloud Based

2.      Resource planning/ Utilization

3.      Ability to import/ export project artifacts

4.      View reports like GANTT charts, 

5.      Project Status tracking

6.      Project Risks tracking

Testing

1. Test Plan/ Case creation
  2. Test execution reports/ Status
  3. Defects 

I really appreciate if any one of you could share your experiences. 

Steve Barr
User offline. Last seen 21 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Most projects have a Change Control/Review board consisting of mostly senior project management team. They would review all Change Requests either at a specified weekly meeting, or through a process of change review forms, circulated to each member for consideration for approval.

If there is no board, elect one, as unless you have a broad range of reviewers who each understand the business to some degree, changes could be processed that may impact on another area of the business. I have come across scenarios where there were not enough qualified reviewers who could properly assess whether a change would impact any or all areas of the business, which ofcourse leads to problems too many to mention.
Tomas Rivera
User offline. Last seen 5 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Sam:
If I understand your question correctly, your concern is a basic one. When you have a schedule of many activities, you must have activity codes. These codes relate to diferent aspects or needs of the project.

For example the responsible person or department, trade, design discipline, location, project phase, priority, etc.

Then, you use these codes to create summary reports. For your case you can have a Design report or layout which could have one summary bar for each one of the design disciplines. Depending on your needs you can have in that report columns for percent complete, total float and ES or EF dates. You should also have a baseline schedule to measure performance and probably show a second bar (or thick line) for the baseline (target) schedule for each design discipline.

That way management can look at each discipline and be able to asses the general progress of each discipline and tell whether they are ahead or behind schedule. If they have questions and want to see more detail, you can have a detailed report for each discipline and explain for example which activities in a certain discipline are delayed the most.

I hope this helps.
Tomas Rivera
Sam Tang
User offline. Last seen 23 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Normally, the managemnt interest in the overall submission progress, the submission performance of each work trades, when the design team can be scaled down and etc.
Tomas Rivera
Could you be more specific?
First, let me understand why you have so much information for an engineering design project? How many activities are you talking about?
The main means for analysing a large schedule is by using activity codes. You sort and filter by these codes and other schedule parameters to look at different parts of the schedule.
What are your specific needs?
What do you need to analyze?
What is the information management is interested in?
Sam Tang
User offline. Last seen 23 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
In the construction industry, a submission schedule a common tool to using for progress control or monitor in engineer design. Normally the schedule is a thick document with a large amount of submission data. It takes time to analyse. Any idea to make the analysis process faster and provide a precise report to the management.
Hi there,

Change Control...

In my company we use procedural mechanisms to detail and gain approval for changes to programme and design etc.. Nothing more than a set of spreadsheets and flow-charts detailing how to gain approval to introduce a change (ie programme change or design change etc) - its ok, but in no way meets the dynamic needs we currently have.

I would suggest looking up the following two Planning Planet members on the member page:

Keith Pickavance is member ID 1203
Robert Pegg is member ID 1201

They have a huge experience in managing and identifying elements of "Change Control" and I am sure that they may be able to help or offer some guidance. I understand that the above two "Pickavance Consulting" gents are very knowledgable on this issue.

There web address is http://www.pickavance.co.uk

If you have any luck perhaps you could persuade them to have a few pages introduce onto the Planning Planet website for this important subject.

Regards...James

(Note - sometimes the hyperlink on the email that tells you that your forum message has had a response does not work - it is being fixed as we speak - a bug in the discussion forum!!)
Tomas Rivera
OK, How about changes?
How does anyone handle change control?
Let’s say we have a project in which we have several change requests per week. How do you usually control change requests, change proposals, change reviews, change approvals, budget changes control, etc.? Do you do it using a specialized software, or a MS Office package, or you just track all this on a sheet of paper or nothing at all?