Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Budgeted Units: Location in time

1 reply [Last post]
Hugh McLeay
User offline. Last seen 10 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello, 

I have an activity which are currently statused as not started and is sitting on the data date. The activity has 100 Budeted Labor Units. 

It turns out that this activity was actually completed a while ago, so I 'retrospectively' assign the actual start/finish dates, and the activity moves back to when it actually occurred. 

However, now when I run a 'Cumulative Budgeted Labor Units', it still shows these units as being 'earned' in front of the status date. 

To fix this, I have worked out that I need to change the status date back to before the activity actually started, then un-start the activity, then reassign the actual start/finish dates, then move the status date back to where it is supposed to be. 

If I have many activities like this, then it is a very time consuming process. 

Can anyone suggest a faster way of doing this? I was hoping to find date fields called 'Budgeted Units Start/Finish' that I could manually change, to correct this problem, but there doens't appear to be anything like that. 

I can appreciate why this behaviour exists (to maintain consistent earned units values after each update), but for now i'd like to override this behaviour. 

Thanks, Hugh. 

Replies

Hugh McLeay
User offline. Last seen 10 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

To answer my own question (hopefully for some benefit to others), the 'Cumulative Budgeted Labor Units' report uses the 'Planned' dates to position the BLU values in time. 

As others may have discovered (perhaps when setting baseline as 'current project', and noticing inconsistencies), the 'Planned Start' and 'Planned Finish' dates are not very reliable. 

The 'Planned' dates are dynamic until the activity is started. Once the activity is started, then the the 'Planned' dates are locked into whever the last 'Planned' position was. 

This behaiour is most evident when you update the data date, it pushes unstarted activities out (planned date pushes out also), and then you click 'started' and enter a started date before the DD. The 'planned' date gets locked in to where it was out ahead of the DD. 

Paul Harris has a good explanation of this behaviour here: http://eastwoodharris.com/DL/TP/110616_P6_V7_What_Baseline_Bars_am_I_Displaying.pdf

Cheers, 

Hugh.