Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

sub-project

4 replies [Last post]
narayanan venkat
User offline. Last seen 13 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi to all expertise

I have a situation like below

Our engineering team sits in a different country, similarly procurement, but I am at site.  In P3 ver 3.1, each phase of engineering and procurement is created as separate sub-project.  During Monitoring Engineering team updates the sub-project , similarly procurement did the same, since I hold the masterproject, I just pull the sub-project of engineering and procurement through interface to update the master project. This avoids Master project being mishandled by any of the consultant or sub-contractor.

Is there any such process in P6 ver.7, since  I am sending the whole master project to all, this make me more transparent to all my consultant and sub-contractor, which I dont want.  Can anyone help me

Thanks

Narayanan

Replies

narayanan venkat
User offline. Last seen 13 years 29 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Daniel

thanks for your suggestion, I did using project portfolio, but the main problem is every week we update schedule, all subprojects gets linked through activity ids to the masterproject, so deleting old subproject and pulling the new updated subproject doesn't disturb the master schedule in P3, but in P6 I tried 3 separate projects, linked through portfolios, but when I try to delete one of the old project and pull the updated project, all the links to the another project in the porfolio is gone, can you suggest me a way.

I hope I tried to convey my message.

Thanks

Narayanan

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Narayanan,

P6 has the equivalent feature. Look and study on how to manage Portfolios.

Best regards,

Daniel

Sandy Matheson
User offline. Last seen 11 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

Set them up as separate linked projects?  Don't see the problem here

Sandy Matheson
User offline. Last seen 11 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

Set them up as separate linked projects?  Don't see the problem here