Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6.1 distribution of budget or units over WBS

3 replies [Last post]
Roozbeh Taheri
User offline. Last seen 8 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
are there any ways to asign budget or units to wbs level and have its distribution over time.

I have budget of each wbs but not activities at the moment, and I want to generate a planned curve based on available information, but it seems in order to have distribution of units or budget over time, they are requred to be assigned to activities rather than wbs

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 20 hours ago. Offline
Roozbeh,
You can create WBS Summary Task activity for every WBS that have budget against it. You don’t need to create link as it was automatically define the durations and start/finish date based on activities underneath within WBS band. Once created you can assign budget cost using resource or expenses. Resource is more flexible than expenses but both can produce budget spread and s-curve.
Roozbeh Taheri
User offline. Last seen 8 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Rodel,

I haven’t done any budget asignment yet, and I do not have any wbs summary type activities in the schedule neither.
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 20 hours ago. Offline
Roozbeh,
In order to assist your query I need to clarify something. Is the budget assigned in WBS Summary task using resource or budget assigned using budget log in WBS Window?

If the budget is assigned on WBS Summary task then the answer is Yes but if the budget assigned using budget log in WBS Window then the answer is NO.

Note:
Budget log is for information only and normally used for initial planning / budgeting. The proper use if this field are for comparing initial budget to current budget of the Projects.