Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 Filters/Flag/Views

5 replies [Last post]
Velmon Capanayan
User offline. Last seen 13 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi there,

I have 2000 plus activities in my schedule, I want to create a specific view for my client, I want to show at least a summary of some breakdowns only, lets say out of 2000 activities only 1500 activities I want to show. The same also on WBS, I don’t plan to show all of them. I’m doing this option on MS project before thru ‘Flag’ and filters, and views. But in P6, I didn’t see any option of such. Does any body know how to work on this? Thanks.

Mon

Replies

Velmon Capanayan
Thanks.
I made it already, thru UDF.
Need to used ’text’ and put ’yes’ (like flag in MSP),
Then i create a filter with this UDF, and save a layout also.

Thanks.
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Velmon

I don’t know your exact requirements.

Shall the layout be a service for your client - and he may regard the other activities as well - or do you intend to restrict his view on the project that he shall only see what he is allowed to.

1. Arnold’s answer. I do it with an activity code, but the result is same as by UDF.

2. Then you’ll create an additional project with those activities you want to show driven by your master schedule.

Regards
Dieter
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Velmon,

In order to perform this, you need to create a User Defined Fields (UDF). Let say, Activities for "User Defined Fields", Activity Indicator for "Title" and Indicator for "Data Type". Do the same into WBS, but this time use WBS for "User Defined Fileds".

Add this newly UDF into your Column and assign those activities or WBS and select (Red, Yellow, Green or Blue).

Regards,

Arnold
Velmon Capanayan
Thanks.
Yes its correct i can used filters and layout to select activities, but i need to select also WBS. this 2 activities has to be done in parallel, not on separate layout or filters. to create a certain view or layout for my client.

As i can remember, in MS Proj, i only need to add a column ’flag’, then just need to click yes or no on each activities & WBS. Those activities & WBS assigned ’yes’ from flag are the only activities selected that will be shown in the report.

Thanks again in advance.
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Velmon
In P6 you use filters and layouts (per user or project.
As summaries you can use Levels of Effort (similar to Hammock) or WBS-Summary or collapse.
Regards
Dieter