Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Viewing LAGS on a P6 Schedule

6 replies [Last post]
Kevin Matthews
User offline. Last seen 14 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Hello planners,

I have been given a large schedule from a contractor that contains lots of lags (both positive and negative)

I need to better understand these lags so need a global change to allow me to select all activities with relationshsip lags.

I can’t find a way to do this ?

Keepo planning,

Kevin.

Replies

Armana Jones
User offline. Last seen 12 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
thanks, but how we can see relationship type like SS or FS among Reports?
Joe P
User offline. Last seen 15 years 1 week ago. Offline
A lag filter can be found via "Reports".
Create a "Report" using "Activity Relationships" you will see under "Filter" a drop-down selection for "lag". Select a criteria that meets your needs. I hope this helps.
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 20 hours ago. Offline
Kevin,

Even SureTrak can do it. SureTrak is low end software sold by Primavera, bought from other developer wise enough to include filter for relationship lag.

http://rs409.rapidshare.com/files/246697960/Lag_Filter.pdf

In SureTrak in order to filter for lag you must be on a view organized for Successors or Predecessors otherwise you will not be able to apply your filter. Maybe this can give you a clue and you can see the required field only if under a specific layout. I don’t know how much they customize every software Primavera buys, P6 was also from another developer. That P6 developers could not do it is no surprise.

A schedule without relationships is just a Bar Chart, relationships is what makes it a CPM. CPM software that misses the functionality to deal with relationships is no good.

Best regards,
Rafael
Alan Phillips
User offline. Last seen 3 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Kevin,
I don’t believe this is possible. The only way you would be able to use a filter is if you went through each individual activity and put a flag against it using an activity code.
A little laborious I know, but you would only need to do it once.
For a lot of these types of questions the best thing is to check out the Primavera Knowledgebase at http://customerportal.primavera.com/ocp/default.asp?main=POINT_login.asp
If you don’t find a solution there the Primavera Helpdesk will definitely know the answer.
Sorry I couldn’t help any further.
Regards
Alan
Kevin Matthews
User offline. Last seen 14 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Alan,

This works for finding the excessive lags etc but I’d have preferred to filter excessive lags in P6 to see activities real time, so to speak.

Any idea on using a filter to achieve this as the lag field doesn’t seem to be an option..?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin.
Alan Phillips
User offline. Last seen 3 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Kevin,
I think the best way to understand the lags is to export the data to a spreadsheet. If you go to the File Menu, choose Export, Spreadsheet - (XLS), Activity Relationships, check your Project ID to Export, either use the "New" XLS Template that is there or Modify to suit your needs, choose a file name to save the output, and then click finish.
Once you open the excel file you can sort in any way you choose, print it out, and then go through the schedule in P6 to understand the lags.
Hope this helps
Regards
Alan