Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

A possible interesting Question here?

9 replies [Last post]
Andrew McGuigan
User offline. Last seen 10 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Hi All

Let’s assume you are very knowledgeable in Primavera and let’s assume you are very experienced in let’s say the Oil industry.
Now my question is, is the knowledge that you have gained using Primavera transferable, in other words can you now work let’s say in the Construction industry?

Many thanks
Andrew

Replies

Jorge Taguinod
User offline. Last seen 2 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
The oil and gas industry manages both projects and operations. If you are coming from operations, moving on to construction will be very different.

I know someone who was very good in oil and gas, but joined construction. He just disappeared one day from the project because he was not able to handle it.

If you are coming from operations (Wells Services, Maintenance, Operations, Logistics, Barges, Rigs, etc.) and not from projects (Well Engineering, Project Engineering), , then it’s a totally different world out there.

There is a big difference between Operations and Projects. One major thing is critical path. Operations have no notion of this. But in projects, this is everything!
Mark Porter
User offline. Last seen 34 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Andrew

I believe that if you have a logical mind you will be able to grasp the concepts of most differing industries fairly quickly. Usually, most planners have been urged or selected to work in the field because they have a logical approach towards the structuring of any work and they also have a high attention to detail, not because they know everything about everything (Sort of like the philosophy that a manager needs to know how to manage, not actually do the work)

Industry specific jargon could be the one thing that catches you out, but once you cut through the bull sh*t it always makes sense. Often you will see some people use it as a form of one up-man-ship to extol their virtues to all and sundry. My old boss who I credit a lot of my career achievements too, is worth > $50m, pre melt-down, was never too afraid to ask for a clearer explanation of something if he didn’t understand.

My strategy is to grab the specifications and the list of abbreviations & acronyms (if they have one) & read my heart out when I 1st start at any new organization. This helps me to quickly learn most of the technical aspects, or a least give me a whole list of questions to ask.

As with any plan that is created, sequencing is the key, so be prepared to ask, as this is the number 1 issue that will affect your credibility. I have often found that the old timers are the best source for this information as they have been burnt over the years & therefore they remember all the little tricks & tips inside their head’s to ensure that it doesn’t happen again.

The one thing that is common across all industries (or at least should be) is the project management philosophy, noting that planning is just extension of this process.

P.S My belief with regard to Primavera is that it is just a tool (abet a good one) for communicating the plan to the project team. If the organization’s doesn’t have a good level of scheduling maturity, you will always suffer from credibility issues. You need to be ensuring that the organization is capturing credible data, and that the plan has “buy in”. If you told to create a schedule, but you don’t get any input (or updates during the execution phase) from the team, you can safely say that the organization doesn’t have a high level of scheduling maturity. If you then can’t change their approach within 6 – 12 months you never will.
Mark
Frankie Jee
User offline. Last seen 12 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Well! I have switched from power plant construction to production filed which is entirely different...and i think being a planner u should have the expereince in all fields...and frankly speaking i dun feel any difference from the planning point of view either its construction or production..depends how friendly u r with the software...PRIMAVERA..
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 3 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Coming from a building construction background, I tried Airport IT Systems 4 years ago. When I first come across the task " Migration to Production Environment" I was taken aback and thought of leaving the project, because the language being used is Greek to me.

It took me a while to really understand how it works because IT is a completely different arena to me.

Back to the question, yes I used primavera the same way I used it in building construction.

It’s good to learn different industries, but the down side is if you jump from one industry to another, you become only expert in Primavera but not the industry project management practice.

IMHO
Andrew McGuigan
User offline. Last seen 10 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
It is interesting to see that recruiters do often require you to have had experience in that industry sector the job is for.

Andrew
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Yes and Yes for as long as you don’t stop learning, and maybe No if the works requires expertise or specialization, but do you expect that the whole Planning Works can be done by one Person?
Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 5 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Andrew,

I have worked in nuclear, aerospace and IT sectors and planning/PM knowledge makes it possible. However, the longer you work in a sector the more tacit knowledge you accrue about the way the industry works, my point being that industry experience does impact upon your effectiveness as a planner.
Hemanth Kumar
User offline. Last seen 1 year 14 weeks ago. Offline
Good Answer

I Worked For Building Projects for several years ,and switched to Yacht Interiors Production for more money.
and planning to move to aircraft industry

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Andrew

Yes

The principles for planner’s and scheduler’s work are the same, structural thinking, communication skills are required. The technical items you can learn.
We recently got biofuels plants as a job enrichment in addition to industrial plants and our basis, oil&gas.
There are different equipments which lead to different codes, different principles for governmental authorization and for financing, different reports.

If you are used to use a car in England, would it be difficult or impossible to use it in Scotland?

Regards
Dieter